Long Lake Trail

Long Lake Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$11 day use fee, there are better places in the area with no fee and less crowded. The sign said something ambiguous about there being no fee during winter, so I watched a few others drive in without paying and assumed it must be winter. Trail was icy, used yaktrax. Snow was deep past Isabelle lake. I think you can park back a couple miles from the long lake TH and walk in for free.

I was here Sept 24th and started at Brainard Lake and made my way a little passed Long lake before turning back. It was Chilly and windy at Brainard and once I got up to around Long lake it was Raining with some Snow mixed in so make sure you dress in appropriate Clothing and wear layers. It was a Monday when I was there and Only a Few Cars in the parking lot. Beautiful & short hike that I will definitely be back to do again!!!

Keep hiking to lake Isabelle if you’ve got time!

It was a beautiful hike! Great pics. Very windy for an added chill but felt great. Fall colors starting. Would do it again.

Beautiful trail!

Lives up to its billing. Beautiful hike.

Short. Easy. Beautiful.

Super easy trail and not too crowded on a Thursday. But make sure you count your change after you pay!!! I paid $16 for the permit instead of $11..... Should’ve counted when he handed me my change. I wouldn’t go again, but it was beautiful!

The Long Lake TH was full so parked in a small lot off the road on west side of Brainard Lake before the TH turnoff. Up the road or on the trail are both easy routes and quick to Long Lake itself. Open well-maintained trail. Wild flowers all over the place this time of year. Very little elevation and it was all mild. Great stream crossings.

Visited 1 July 2018 and trail was well. We parked at the TH at 0630 and the lot had a few cars in it but by the time we left at 1100 there was a line of 15 cars waiting to park.

We drove out today and the road remains closed leading to the lake. We had to turn back. Just an FYI!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

If your in the area you need to visit this place. Beautiful and a great selection of trails.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Beautiful view

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great with kids and the dog

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Easy Hike- Great views at the top- saw Moose on the trail and off in the water hiking up

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Beautiful views from the wooden bridge!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Great hike for families, with stunning views of the lake and glaciers. We did a loop with the Jean Lunning trail, to circumnavigate the entire lake. Arrive early to get parking, otherwise you'll be starting at Brainard which adds another 1.5 miles to the hike.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Great trail for a family hike or out of town'ers who aren't used to altitude . Make it a loop with the Jean Lunning Trail from the Long Lake trail head to make it ~3 miles. Did it with a 3 year old in about 2 hours. Get there really early or you'll be forced to parked farther away. Lot was full by 6:45 am on a Sunday. $10 entry fee to use Brainard Lake Rec Area. This is now my go to trail for out of state house guests from lower elevations.

Friday, July 03, 2015

Lovely easy hike for families with plenty to see for those with good mobility. Still plenty of mud and some snow, which made the trail all the more fun for kids! $10 at the gate for those without a pass.

Monday, June 22, 2015

This is a 2.3 mile loop around the lake and that doesn't include the 1.5 mile round trip from the only parking lot there today. We got there at 10:50 and the lot was getting full. Enjoyable hike with not much elevation change. Snow filled spots. A bit much on west side of lake but still manageable with water proof hiking boots. We really enjoyed it.

Saturday, September 06, 2014

BEAUTIFUL HIKE! Went with my wife and 8 year old son... ironically, the parking lot was so full on labor day weekend they had to turn people away, and yet, we hardly saw anyone hiking. Maybe they were fishing or just staying around the entrance park area?

We only went to Long Lake, word on the trail was that Lake Isabella has been drained so not worth continuing on, but this was long enough and enjoyable.

I wonder about these hike pages that say "1 mile" - this wasn't one mile, but was very enjoyable.

Monday, September 17, 2012

This is the perfect place to bring non-hiking visitors from our of town. Big payoff for very little effort. Gorgeous views and an easy well maintained trail. Lake Isabelle is just down the trail and I highly recommend pushing on. This trail is off the Brainard Lake trailhead near Ward. The info here says Nederland but it's probably a good 20 minutes away from there.

recorded Long Lake- Sep 26 10:33 AM