Loch Lomond Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Get off I-70 at the fall river road exit. Follow north on Fall River Road drive past the big switch back turn left on Alice RD. Keep your eyes open for Stewart Road. 2.3 Miles you will be at the lake.

Beautiful views! I brought my dog to hike and she loved it- we met several other people with dogs too who were all very friendly. I didn’t wish I had snow shoes until the end when I started sinking in waist deep snow and my dog started disappearing completely under the snow- it was moderately challenging but well worth it!

We really enjoyed this hike. We encountered only one other trail user. We used winter hiking boots with crampons. This was sufficient to make it all of the way to the end of the trail. No need for snowshoes or backcountry skis today. It snowed throughout our hike and was windy, especially when nearing the lake at the end. There's a waterfall flowing into the lake which isn't frozen over yet. A thin layer of ice currently coats most of the lake. A standard car with good all season tires can make it to the foot of the trailhead.

off road driving

Stock Wrangler JLU up and down with ease in 4wd High at the end of summer. Fun trail with great rewards; more to explore in Jeep and on foot. Nonmotorized use allowed year round according to gate’s sign in the AllTrails photos, Sean D, but it also says no parking at the gate.

Question - can you still hike to the lake with the gates officially closed?

off road driving

closed for the season as of Oct 18, 2018. disappointed. I took my stock Raptor up, zero issues... not even close to breaking a sweat. With a stock half ton truck, you will likely bottom out in a few spots, especially the first rut. Subarus won't make it without damage, end of story. looked promising but the gate was closed about 3/4 mile up. tight turn around.

Hiked the whole road, though most people opted to off-road in vehicles. Pretty and scenic; the waterfall at the lake was beautiful. It started snowing while I was there and the fall colors looked beautiful with it.

off road driving

Not sure why this is rated moderate. It's pretty easy for any 4x4. Did pretty much all of it in 2 wheel. Only need a little bit of clearance for the rocks. Great views, and only saw one other person on a Wednesday afternoon. 4/5

off road driving

Loch Lomond is a classic that's easy to get to. The trail is very bumpy but is easy. Once at the top the views are fantastic. Not a lot of Aspens but the bushes turn yellow and it's still very nice to look at haha. If you'd like to see a video of the run I have one up at:

Have fun out there!

We parked at the sign and hiked up instead of off-roading. Beautiful views, and I would love to continue on to the upper lakes next time!

off road driving

Very easy trail, heavy foot traffic. A little bouncy, but good for any 4 wheel drive vehicle. We decided to hike to the upper lakes, and the views did not disappoint. This is a very good family outing!

off road driving

loch lamond lake! Nice trial! my first one..all ways easier on the way down..lol definitely a slow and bumpy trial! High clearance vehicle would help....Lake was gorgeous well worth the trip. 2014 Xterra stock BFGTK 02 TIRES

off road driving

Great trail, good for beginning off road drivers.

short easy trail for off roading. beautiful sites.

off road driving

This trail did not disappoint! The path to get there is pretty rocky but our '99 4Runner did it, no problem. I would not recommend this to any vehicle smaller than an suv (like a subaru crosstrek or anything).
Once you reach the lake, it's an incredible view with a couple paths to hike up.
I would definitely go again and would recommend 10/10 for a nice day trip.

Great trail with moderate/ steady incline. Definitely try to get there early as the jeeps and other 4x4 vehicles start to take over the road. Great views and a very pretty lake at the top. Even a few wildflowers left today!

The hike in was really just a 4x4 road, if you don't have a raised vehicle you will be walking along the road. I have a Subaru Crosstrek and it did not make it past the first rut. The lake was gorgeous but there were quite a few people up there but if you hike to the upper lakes it's well worth it, I was the only one up there. Lost a star because I don't enjoy hiking along with vehicles, not super secluded.

off road driving

Fun drive up a boulder strewn 2 track. Minus 1 star because its not exactly secluded. Lots of hikers and other drivers on a sunny August Saturday afternoon.

The hike: Great hiking once you get to the lake. We went up to Ohman lake and I highly recommend it. So much fun just exploring around

The drive: pretty bumpy road. The only tough spot is near the beginning and is quite the rut. Took me 3 tries to do it in my tacoma but after that it’s a pretty standard 4x4 road. Saw some people in a Ford Escape bottom out and almost didn’t make it. But! If you have the vehicle I recommend driving up there!

Incredible views - trail is easy to moderate (a few challenging parts, mostly straightforward). My only complaint is how crowded this gets. we went up mid-day on a Thursday and still saw hikers, dogs and other vehicles.

definitely a must-do for Colorado off-roading, but be ready for a crowd, plus it is too short, which is why I give it a 3.

2013 Wrangler sport, aev lift,

off road driving

Went up on a Tuesday evening. Not too difficult of a trail. My 1999 4Runner made it up no problem! Beautiful views at the top and only a few other people.

off road driving

I did this in a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy’s unlimited and had no issues. Beautiful at the top and there were also a lot of people up at the top.

Beautiful not to difficult to hike up to the waterfall drive up on a 2015 Jeep Wrangler made it up fine

off road driving

Did this trail in a stock 18 tacoma off-road with no issues. Had been there a couple weeks back but had to turn back due to my friends 09 2wd jeep commander not being able to make the rut towards the beginning of the trail, but it looks like someone has filled in one side with some rocks since then. Overall a great trail, anyone with reasonable ground clearance and 4wd should be able to do it. Only gripe is it gets really busy on the weekends

off road driving

It was a nice, relatively easy drive with the family, I went up in a 4Runner with only a couple inches lift and never felt like I was close to scraping anything. Beautiful scenery. There were lots of people at the top, I counted 35 trucks up there on a Saturday around noon. I thnk calling this trail moderate is a bit much, it's slightly slightly more complicated than what I'd call easy.

off road driving

I loved this trail. It was a 5/10 difficulty. It basically has two “harder” obstacles at the very beginning but once you get past those it’s great.

The only reason it gets 4 stars is because it’s extremely crowded. There are hikers walking along the road and campers everywhere. If you’re looking to “get away” this isn’t the spot for you.

I went early so there weren't too many cars on the road up. Beautiful views!

A very scenic trail/road that follows a river most of the way up! It is a 4WD road so you may be passed by cars at times but don’t let stop you! If you drive it you miss all the beauty of the river and wildflowers (that are now in full bloom). Once to the first lake keep hiking to the top via a skinny path through the bushes to rise above the lake and see two more. This is a great place to take out of towners for epic views but you’ll need to breaks on the way up with the inclined road and steeper path to the top.

off road driving

The Destination: Wonderful place for a picnic and/or camping. Beautiful serene lake at altitude. Water is too cold for recreational swimming, but good for fishing. Also, a kayak or paddle board would make for great exploring around the lake rim and up to the waterfall. The lake area doesn't offer much shade. Bring sunscreen, or a cover of some sort (umbrella, lean-to, overland-awning). Remember UV exposure hits harder up here.

The Trail: The trail is more of an access road than trail. Moderately trafficked by SUVS, Trucks, and ATV's. Hikers may not enjoy being passed by off-road vehicles (be courteous 4WD'ers). Trail is suitable for novice drivers and unmodified SUVS/Trucks with 4WD and a little ground clearance. Tire placement will be essential for stock vehicles. I would recommend 9 to 10 inches of ground clearance.

Pros: Easy to access. Great picnic spot. Open areas to play. Good easy hiking up form the loch.
Cons: Easy access (maybe too easy for preservation), Novice trails attract newer less courteous (uneducated) off-roaders and even tourist in rentals.

Ran this in my stock 4Runner with BFG KO2’s with no problem at all. Great trail lots of camping. Make sure to bring your fly rod.

off road driving

The second gate is now open for summer 2018. Great camping spots along this off road trail that leads right up to the beautiful lake.