Loch Lomond Trail

Loch Lomond Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Get off I-70 at the fall river road exit. Follow north on Fall River Road drive past the big switch back turn left on Alice RD. Keep your eyes open for Stewart Road. 2.3 Miles you will be at the lake.

I ended up hiking up the road, because I didn't trust that my Ford Escape would have the clearance I need to get over the road. If you have a pickup truck, 4Runner, or Jeep though, you'll totally be fine. A ton of awesome campsites once you are up by the lake/loch.

The hike up the road isn't bad, but I don't think I would do it again. There was quite a bit of traffic going up the road, which I was walking on. Once up at the lake, I hiked up to the top of the waterfall which is definitely worth it. If I had been able to drive to the lake, I would have kept exploring the higher altitude lakes.

off road driving

Definitely a fun drive. Pretty rocky but most if it is easy. One or two sections that you might need a higher clearance vehicle for. I have a 3rd gen 4runner with a 2.5in lift so it wasn't hard. Loch Lomond lake is great and peaceful

If you don’t have a high clearance vehicle, trail begins at the gravel /rock road. Hiked this in July and one of my favorite hikes to date. beautiful change of scenery the whole way up. Lush greenery, views of mtns, rivers and of course the lake at the end

off road driving

No trail?? Quiet, pretty lake at the top though.

off road driving

very beautiful lake and veey fun drive to the lake

off road driving

Took the Raptor up here, little bit of snow and super foggy, but was a nice drive. Found the occasional hiker/driver but wasn't too busy. I thought this trail was pretty easy for the truck to handle. The rocks weren't too bad, would probably help to let some air out of the tires. Nothing too steep here and plenty of width in the trail.

off road driving

Beautiful scenery and the crystal clear lakes are so beautiful. If u wanna bring ya a small paddle board or canoe this is the spot. The road is really rocky and fun to drive up but beware there are foot walkers hiking along the road.

Perfect for a day hike. Easy to traverse up. The first 2 miles are a Jeep trail so easy walk. Far less busy than St. Mary's Glacier nearby. Waterfall at the lake too!

The scenic view of the lake and nearby is breathtaking. We went there about a week ago and there were still quite some wildflowers.

For camping or 4x4 driving it's probably fine, for hiking it was the worst. All we did was move out of way for vehicles going up or down the road. It's a road, not a trail. Then you get to an area that's all campsites that you're just walking next to. Constant gunshots can be heard the whole time as well. Was so over it that we didn't even go the lake, just turned around and went back. If you want a quiet, in touch with nature hike, this is not it. Some nice views along the way, but the rest just wasn't worth it.

off road driving

Great trail, perfect for my taste/difficulty level. I've done it a couple of times now and wouldn't mind doing a few more times. This trail is great for all 4x4 vehicles(pickups, SUVs).

first time here. beautiful views, great dispersed camping options. variety of trails to choose from

Absolutely gorgeous views. Best hike I've been on with my pup.