Loch Lomond Trail

Loch Lomond Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Get off I-70 at the fall river road exit. Follow north on Fall River Road drive past the big switch back turn left on Alice RD. Keep your eyes open for Stewart Road. 2.3 Miles you will be at the lake.

If you're used to hiking everything in this one is a real treat! I of course suggest driving all the way to the lake! The road is really rocky so be sure to have a spare and also know how to use it! I have a high clearance full size truck and I even scraped once (all though I probably should have put a tire on that rock). Also, you need 4x4 if you want to drive to the lake. I tried just rear wheel and I wouldn't have made it because some spots you would just spin your wheels and then have to reverse down a very sketchy spot. There is a ton of sites on the road just before the lake but if you go all the way to the lake there is a few to choose from. Yes, people are shooting but it is more down by the spots on the road so if you want more peace go all the way to the lake. Lake is good for fishing. You see other lakes on this map... I highly suggest driving all the way to lake and then day hiking to at least the lake above water fall (it's kinda a tough hike). It's windy at the top by the lake so batten down the hatches. Check it out, it's fun for car camping, fishing, hiking and shooting!

Pretty area but the nonstop gunfire really spoils things. And I mean non-stop, not a little bit here and there. Constant gunfire as soundtrack to four hours of hiking. I know it's fun to shoot, I enjoy it too, but damn it just reverberates through this entire valley. Also a lot of dirtbike/4x4 noise that's hard to escape.

If you are looking for a place to offroad and shoot your guns, this is the place to be. If you're looking for a peaceful hike through the mountains - not so much, plenty of other places to go.

off road driving

Drove up the road "trail" in our Ford Explorer straight to the lake. Trail was very rocky! We got to the lake on Friday around 6pm and found a spot no problem. The weather was cloudy, a little rainy and VERY windy.

The next day we hiked to the two lakes Reynolds and Steuart just above the big waterfall. Even though the trail was sometimes hard to find, the hike was very doable and the views were unbeatable. We tried hiking to the third lake but couldn't seem to find the trail to get us there. Also, beware that you will be crossing lots of running water.

Definitely will be going back. This time I think we'd like to camp and one of the last few spots just before the tree line but still close enough to the lake where you can enjoy it often.

off road driving

Great views, really a easy trail. Anything with some clearance and 4wd will get through.

Road is definitely rocky. Made it up in my Cherokee Trailhawk. Just had to take it slow and watch for the bigger rocks. Other than that, it was a great drive and the view at the top was awesome!

Fun, easy going hike. Went around 9am and my group with our dogs were the only one on the trail. Pretty nice!

The road getting to the trailhead is rocky, definitely recommend a vehicle with good ground clearance!

I love empty trails, and this fit the bill. Granted the trail was a road, but it still got us there. You can keep hiking past the initial lake to get to a proper trail, so that was satisfying enough for us! It gets more Gorgeous the further you hike!