Loch Lomond

Loch Lomond is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 895 feet Route Type: Out & Back

off road driving

The area is closed for resource protection from 10/15 - 7/15 upper gate and 12/1 - 6/1 lower gate. There is NO parking allowed on Fall River Road or within the subdivisions. All vehicles must be either street-legal or registered annually through Colorado State Parks' OHV Registration Program. All motorized vehicles are restricted to open routes designated for their use. Contact your local District Office for a copy of the local Motor Vehicle Use Map. Reservoirs owned by Agriculture Ditch Company. Get off I-70 at the fall river road exit. Follow north on Fall River Road drive past the big switch back turn left on Alice RD. Keep your eyes open for Stewart Road. 2.3 Miles you will be at the lake.

1 hour ago

clear all the way besides the upper lakes

off road driving

Just went up today the trail is clear and you can take it all the way to the lake

Great hike! Parked at lower gate. Still snow covered in many spots. Found small crossing of main river, was just about to take shoes off to cross! Some post hole areas. Lake still partially frozen. Windy but beautiful!

Hiked 16 miles around this area from the loch to the top so to speak. Beautiful area with so many awesome alpine lakes.

Wasn’t able to do the hike... couldn’t drive on the road to the parking lot with my lower car and you can’t park anywhere in the neighborhood. Disappointing because the hike looks like it would be amazing!

Trail is dry throughout most of the distance past the first gate. After passing the second gate the snow level rises and drops multiple times until you get above tree line. Completely snow covered after tree line. LOTS of Spring snow still around compared to last year but there is a hard packed trail all the way to Loch Lomond so no need for snow shoes. If planning to camp up here definitely need 4 season tent. If you’re planning to ascend the valley bring crampons and ice tools.

We had a great time on this trail last weekend (5/26/2019). Parts of it still buried under snow and the final climb to the lake was off the usual trail - but there was a trail marked by footsteps in the snow from other hikers. We didn’t have snow gear - just standard hiking boots. Definitely slick/slushy in some parts later that afternoon. We love this spot, so it was cool to see it in a “winter” format.

Great short hike to the Loch. Snowshoes required just past the creek crossing after second gate to get to lake. Saw a pair of ptarmigans nesting on trail around lake.

My wife and I hiked this trail today. She is 3 months pregnant. I think her hormones must have really been flowing today because she talked the entire time. I think that’s what hormones do anyway, make you want to talk about feelings or cry. I’m so glad men don’t have hormones. All in all it was a pretty good hike. The “loch” is still frozen, but it was really pretty at the top. Saw some elk scat on the trail but no elk. I know it was elk scat cause my wife looked it up on the way home and talked to me about different types of scat for an hour. There were a few places where you could sink up to your thigh on the trail but snow shoes aren’t needed. I would recommend some type of traction device though. I would also recommend not getting your wife pregnant.

Snow shoes recommended...I did not have them. Cool enough on the way up that it was all packed down, but warmed up and was pretty much slush on my way back. Great weather, but trail is completely snow covered.

Trail was primarily packed snow only requiring snowshoes after the top gate. Some parts of the roadway were even dry. The lake is still frozen, and we did not attempt the upper lakes. Keep in mind that parking on the road near the TH is technically illegal, so be respectful of the neighbors. Despite parking at the bottom three separate times, we’ve never had a ticket. This hike is definitely the most peaceful this time of year before the initial roadway gets filled with 4X4 vehicles.

Great afternoon hike with beautiful views. Be prepared for WIND. You will want snowshoes/skis if you want to get to lake. You can get halfway in microspikes, but it gets drifty once you hit treeline.

Great winter outing. Some traction needed trail is snow packed and icy in spots. Snow shoes needed past 2nd gate.

I would say snowshoes required above second gate. A couple snow drifts 3-4’ no wind today

2/2/19: Trailhead is packed snow. There were areas of ice but you can get around them. Don't feel spikes were needed, but would recommend taking them since conditions can change over night. But wish I would have taken snow shoes. As you ascend up there were areas with deep snow that now and then I would sink in up to my thigh. My dog did great! No issues for him. Also forgot my baklava which would have been nice because it was quite windy at the upper half.

12/8/2018 - A good amount of ice on the trail, so I would recommend spikes at minimum, but a fresh dusting of snow left the trail impassable with about 0.7M to the end (~1.5ft of snow, and I only had spikes on). Most of the snow on the first half of the road had melted, so not ideal for XC skiing or snowmobiling anymore I’d imagine. Only option for parking is illegal street parking.

Great winter hike! Did this one today, and there is a ton of snow, but we managed with just spikes. There were a lot of people snowshoeing and cross-country skiing -- good trail for that as well. The lake is completely frozen over, but the views are amazing.

Beautiful views! I brought my dog to hike and she loved it- we met several other people with dogs too who were all very friendly. I didn’t wish I had snow shoes until the end when I started sinking in waist deep snow and my dog started disappearing completely under the snow- it was moderately challenging but well worth it!

We really enjoyed this hike. We encountered only one other trail user. We used winter hiking boots with crampons. This was sufficient to make it all of the way to the end of the trail. No need for snowshoes or backcountry skis today. It snowed throughout our hike and was windy, especially when nearing the lake at the end. There's a waterfall flowing into the lake which isn't frozen over yet. A thin layer of ice currently coats most of the lake. A standard car with good all season tires can make it to the foot of the trailhead.

off road driving

Stock Wrangler JLU up and down with ease in 4wd High at the end of summer. Fun trail with great rewards; more to explore in Jeep and on foot. Nonmotorized use allowed year round according to gate’s sign in the AllTrails photos, Sean D, but it also says no parking at the gate.

Question - can you still hike to the lake with the gates officially closed?

off road driving

closed for the season as of Oct 18, 2018. disappointed. I took my stock Raptor up, zero issues... not even close to breaking a sweat. With a stock half ton truck, you will likely bottom out in a few spots, especially the first rut. Subarus won't make it without damage, end of story. looked promising but the gate was closed about 3/4 mile up. tight turn around.

Hiked the whole road, though most people opted to off-road in vehicles. Pretty and scenic; the waterfall at the lake was beautiful. It started snowing while I was there and the fall colors looked beautiful with it.

off road driving

Not sure why this is rated moderate. It's pretty easy for any 4x4. Did pretty much all of it in 2 wheel. Only need a little bit of clearance for the rocks. Great views, and only saw one other person on a Wednesday afternoon. 4/5

off road driving

Loch Lomond is a classic that's easy to get to. The trail is very bumpy but is easy. Once at the top the views are fantastic. Not a lot of Aspens but the bushes turn yellow and it's still very nice to look at haha. If you'd like to see a video of the run I have one up at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oGcy1MWOvY Have fun out there!

We parked at the sign and hiked up instead of off-roading. Beautiful views, and I would love to continue on to the upper lakes next time!

off road driving

Very easy trail, heavy foot traffic. A little bouncy, but good for any 4 wheel drive vehicle. We decided to hike to the upper lakes, and the views did not disappoint. This is a very good family outing!

off road driving

loch lamond lake! Nice trial! my first one..all ways easier on the way down..lol definitely a slow and bumpy trial! High clearance vehicle would help....Lake was gorgeous well worth the trip. 2014 Xterra stock BFGTK 02 TIRES

off road driving

Great trail, good for beginning off road drivers.

short easy trail for off roading. beautiful sites.