Lobo Overlook and Continental Divide Trail

Lobo Overlook and Continental Divide Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Creede, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 885 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

This is a great trail with amazing views. Keep in mind the trail drops about 900’ in about 2 miles so the return trip climbs the same amount. Something to keep in mind. We traveled with our 78 year old aunt who had no trouble with the trail.

Is the CDT passable from here to Silverton? I am hearing conflicting information.

closed

Access to trail was closed over July 4th weekend.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Easy access - except in the winter! - makes this a good walk for little ones and older folks (although close monitoring is required to prevent serious falls). There are picnic tables, too, so bring a lunch.

Sat Sep 01 2018

trail was great. trail starts at tower. we went off by the overlook. still a great trail. beautiful scenes.

Thu Aug 02 2018

Gorgeous trail. Definitely more of an uphill on the way back.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Lobo overlook has bathrooms and a picnic area. The trail is behind the radio tower. Given the continental divide trail is over 3,000 miles, I was wondering about the "5 mile" out and back. Seemed like too much of a rounded number for it to take us to an interesting destination which ended up true. We randomly stopped in the middle of the trail. Upon our return, we found out there was a lake around approximately 9 miles roundtrip. I would have rather had my lunch there! Otherwise, the sweeping views were lovely as were the wildflowers. The forest has suffered from much beetle kill. For more info and pics visit This hike is 16 miles. The trail portion is 5 miles. It then connects to the road for another 2. After 7 miles you reach the information area about the eroded rocks. It's another mile to walk anywhere near the rocks. The forest is dead from beetle kill. The trail is not hard, just long. But having to hike 16 miles just to see the rocks made me think I would have rather backpacked in so I would have the opportunity to take a leisurely stroll around the rocks whose views is obscured by dead trees. Or in a day, I think it would be better to rent a RZR or horseback. If the forest weren't dead, perhaps I would have enjoyed the hike a bit more. I've hiked the whole CT so its not about not enjoying the scenery, it's just with a particular idea in mind, the rocks aren't visible for some time. More info and pics at https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/07/30/things-to-do-in-creede/

Wed Jul 18 2018

beautiful trail, long views, varied landscapes and plenty of interesting flora/fauna to look at along the way.

Wed Jul 18 2018

We went hiking with our three young daughters and we had a fantastic time!! The drive to the trail was beautiful and the trails were well marked. Flowers were beautiful!!! Views were outstanding!!!

Fri Feb 02 2018

Really fun hike with amazing views. If you carry a pack with food, watch out for chipmunks. They are all over this area, and will try to get into your pack. The description says it's near creed, but due to the weird way the boundaries are set up, its in the same county as Creed, but it's about a forty minute to an hour drive away Creed. The closest town would be South Fork, which is about a twenty minute drive.

Mon Oct 23 2017

It was cold and windy at the start (16 degrees) but got better as we got into the hike. We met a hunter on horseback and he told us about a lake that was further down the trail. We continued to the 4 mile mark before turning around and still didn't see the lake. We really enjoyed the hike.

Fri Sep 29 2017

We hiked this trail in 8" of fresh snow with our dog and it was stellar! Wish we had remembered our poles because it got slushy and slippery on the descent.

Mon Sep 11 2017

Great views. Elevation change was gradual and not too terrible on the return trek.

Thu Oct 06 2016

We went on Oct 5 when snow had covered the trail. It was cold and windy in parts, but much of our route was well shielded. The views from the continental divide trail were spectacular. Note: the coldest and most windy part was on the overlook itself. The trail is actually more friendly, from a wind perspective.

Wed Aug 31 2016

Great views and amazing flowers. My son and I hiked back about three miles before the clouds (and thunder) started rolling in. It's mostly downhill, so prepare for the uphill trek back to the microwave station. It's a quad burner back up for sure....But well worth it.

Wed Jul 06 2016

9am start, cool,distant views & meadows with wildflowers. snow berms for dogs to play in. Walked 2 miles in. Windy on Continental divide returning but not on trail.

Sat Aug 08 2015

I liked it. Did not love it. Always windy on crest trails. No goal. Just out till tired and back. Trail was easy on feet but working at above 11,000 makes everything more difficult. Lovely flowers and peaceful deer. High alpine meadows see just right for a bear.

Sun Sep 14 2014

Lobo trail takes you to the CDT which id the cream. Great terrain, endless mind blowing views, the definition of a high alpine trail. Colorado in general has some of greatest terrain for riding and hiking but SW Colorado is pretty much the center of the universe and this portion of the CDT proves that. Starting at 11,700 flat landers beware. Be safe in the monsoon months and start early.

Sun Jul 06 2014

This trail is actually closer to Pagosa Springs, Colorado and is easily accessible from US Hwy 160 in the summer months. Headed East from Pagosa Springs on US 160, travel up to Wolf Creek Pass and just past the USFS marker for the Continental Divide turn to the left on USFS Road 402. Proceed to the top, enjoy Lobo Overlook and then park by the microwave station to access the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) on the north side of the microwave station. There is a log book station at the trail head and it is best that you sign in if your hoofing alone. The elevation at the microwave tower is 11,750 so be prepared. I hiked about four miles in and then back. The CDT is well worn and an easy to moderate hike if your acclimated to the altitude. You also need to watch for horseback riders on some of the steeper slopes. The trail can be narrow in places and you'll need to find a place to let them by.

Sat Sep 01 2018