Lizard Rock Trail

Lizard Rock Trail is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake George, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Lake George: Spruce Grove Campground located approximately 13 miles northwest of the small town of Lake George, Colorado. Visitors may reach the campground by taking Highway 24 northwest from Lake George for 1 mile to County Road 77. Travel approximately 12 miles north on 77 through Tarryall City to reach the campground. The Lizard Rock Trailhead is located within the campground boundaries.

Nice trail but mostly sunny. Will come back when cooler. Not sure what is considered lizard rock

I hiked this trail last Saturday and there was no snow to speak of at all during my outing. My pup and I only saw one couple on our way back so it was a very quiet and secluded hike. The creek in the beginning of the trail did have some ice on it and looked very beautiful. I am guessing this will be a busy trail in the summer due to the campgrounds there.

11-11-2017 I hiked this as an out and back from the Spruce Grove TH. Less than 6 miles RT and a little over 1K' elev. gain. Not sure what that lollipop trail map is. Maybe that's the right turn about 3/4 of the way to the summit? I assumed that was probably the Hankins Pass turn.

Good long hike, worth the time!

Hiked the entire high loop counterclock direction. AllTrails has this track distance and vertical quite short. Posted track shows 15.5 miles and a bit over 4200' vertical. Great trail though long day! Conditions were nearly perfect with 37deg start with brisk walk to warm up and 77 at finish, sunny and calm! Noting differences btw alltrails and our track, I see that alltrails' main trail track shows significant lack of all the trail detail such as switchbacks effectively underestimating the length

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Trail we took was just under 5.5 miles round trip. Incredible views at the top.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

From the parking lot to the end of Lizard Rock Trail it was 5.34 miles. There was a total of just over 1000 feet of elevation gain. The last half mile was steeper than expected. The rock formation looks more like Jar Jar Binks than a lizard head.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

We hiked the Lizard Rock trail from the Spruce Grove Campground. We hiked to the summit of Hankins Pass, this is a beautiful hike with moderate use. We hit some fall colors along the way but the highlight was the aspen forest at the top of Hankins Pass.

off road driving