Little Thompson Overlook Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Longmont, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

no shade. nice that dogs must be on leash. no poop bags available be sure to bring your own. rocky trail with fairly good incline especially for beginner. go on a cool day!

loved it! we even heard and saw a bald eagle! 1st hike for our Blue Heeler, abs she loved it.

Fun trail but I’d rate this moderate vs. easy if you are a new hiker or going with kids and/or pets. There is quite an incline! Our kids and dogs LOVED this trail but if it’s too hot out, you may want to steer clear, because there is absolutely no cover - 100% direct sunlight, very dry trail. 2 benches to stop and rest: one is halfway up and another at the top. Nice rocky pathways in some areas, cactus to see, a few trees, views are gorgeous! Watch out for rattlesnakes though. We didn’t see any, but there were signed warnings everywhere.

The weather was nice and warm on the way up but got cold and rainy on the way down. The hike is scenic and close to Longmont. Very rocky trail though. Great views at the lookout point.

Beautiful views! My 4 year old enjoyed and the flowers, grasshoppers and ladybugs along the way!
There isn’t much shade so I’d recommend going on a cooler day or overcast.

I had a great hike with my friend & my two dogs. we all enjoyed it, our first time here. great views, perfect breeze, good for all skill levels.

Nice short evening hike with the dog. We saw a few deer so I very much recommend not letting your dog off leash.

Ok short hike on the front range. However, I was forever having to drag my dogs away from piles that other owners have left- not pleasant!

Nice hike with just a little short uphill that’s a little rocky but easy. Lots of people and dogs. Parking lot has restroom, trash & recycling, & picnic tables. Be warned that parking lot is small and even though it may seem reasonable to park in the area signed for trailers as several people were doing, DO NOT do it! I got a $35 parking ticket :(

Every now and then we pick this trail as an alternative to Eagle Wind (on the other side of the road) though generally Eagle Wind is nicer imo. There's a daredevil pilot who hangs out here a lot so you might get to see some of his acrobatics, which is kinda fun.
As is true in this whole area, there are a lot of rattlers here so keep your ears open and your dog close.

Saturday, December 09, 2017

Easy trail, narrow in some parts. Very dog friendly which was awesome. Good casual hike.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

I am not sure why I chose this trail on the VERY windy day, Although this is shorter than the other trail, the footing is much harder with many many many rocks. Did not have much view as the clouds rolled in.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Not as easy as you'd think from easy rating, but definitely worth the effort

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Decent, easy hike. Not a lot shade, but a few benches to rest along the trail.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Pretty and easy trail. No water or much shade though so pack extra if you bring the dogs!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Beautiful trail. Saw a bear at the overlook, tons of deer, and a rattlesnake. Incredible sunset! A very special place!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Great short and pleasant hike

Friday, June 02, 2017

Pleasant hike, not a lot of shade, very easy but relaxing!! Nice view when you get to the Overlook! Great for kids

Monday, May 29, 2017

Started to get cloudy so we turned around.. good trail though

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Took my two kids (4&8) it was a good beginning how to see how they would do on longer more challenging hikes later. Gradual rise and fall in elevation, nothing extreme. Lots rock in about half the path. Definitely worth it to go past the trail end and see the overlook.
No cover entire trail.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Nice views, not a lot of traffic. Nice and quiet.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

great for trail running, good place for dogs. great Views!

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Awesome

Monday, February 06, 2017

A snow and ice storm had just past and the area was mostly empty. Plenty of wildlife around. A very easy hike even in the conditions. I averaged over 3mph. Nice area so close to the metro.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great day out with the family..

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Nice walk. Be prepared for no shade. Early morning is best. Lots of rocks on trail so have good shoes.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Beautiful views on clean, well-kept trail. (The whole Rabbit Mountain area is well-maintained and scenic.) This was greater difficulty than I would typically expect on an "easy" ranked trail, and in fact the park website lists it as "moderate", likely due to extensive rocky terrain and a long uphill portion.

Be alert for and stay safe around wildlife - the area is well-known for rattlesnakes, though I have never personally encountered one here.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Great short trail.

Monday, April 04, 2016

I live in Longmont and this is my go to hike to keep conditioned for the longer, more grueling hikes this state has to offer. I enjoy Rabbit Mtn as a whole.

Monday, March 14, 2016

the scenery was incredible. wide open landscapes with views of tiny far away towns and small cacti on the edges of the trail. the hike up becomes EXTREMELY rocky a little more than expected for an "easy" trail, but well worth the climb. it was very windy today so it made the journey a little harder but still enjoyable