Little Thompson Overlook Trail

Little Thompson Overlook Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Longmont, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A snow and ice storm had just past and the area was mostly empty. Plenty of wildlife around. A very easy hike even in the conditions. I averaged over 3mph. Nice area so close to the metro.

Nice walk. Be prepared for no shade. Early morning is best. Lots of rocks on trail so have good shoes.

Beautiful views on clean, well-kept trail. (The whole Rabbit Mountain area is well-maintained and scenic.) This was greater difficulty than I would typically expect on an "easy" ranked trail, and in fact the park website lists it as "moderate", likely due to extensive rocky terrain and a long uphill portion.

Be alert for and stay safe around wildlife - the area is well-known for rattlesnakes, though I have never personally encountered one here.

Great short trail.

I live in Longmont and this is my go to hike to keep conditioned for the longer, more grueling hikes this state has to offer. I enjoy Rabbit Mtn as a whole.

the scenery was incredible. wide open landscapes with views of tiny far away towns and small cacti on the edges of the trail. the hike up becomes EXTREMELY rocky a little more than expected for an "easy" trail, but well worth the climb. it was very windy today so it made the journey a little harder but still enjoyable

Nice Easy little hike

Maybe it's the time of year right now, but I did this one yesterday and it's very muddy and still pretty snowy. That wouldn't be bad, except compared to the nearby Eagle Wind there's not a whole lot of payoff.

Good trail, very rocky. Not really any shade cover. This was one of the first trails I hiked after moving to Colorado (and I was NOT a hiker before I lived here). Never seen any rattlesnakes, but tons of grasshoppers. Lots of dog walkers on this trail and I've seen plenty of kids.