Little Thompson Overlook Trail

Little Thompson Overlook Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Longmont, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I had a great hike with my friend & my two dogs. we all enjoyed it, our first time here. great views, perfect breeze, good for all skill levels.

Nice short evening hike with the dog. We saw a few deer so I very much recommend not letting your dog off leash.

Ok short hike on the front range. However, I was forever having to drag my dogs away from piles that other owners have left- not pleasant!

Nice hike with just a little short uphill that’s a little rocky but easy. Lots of people and dogs. Parking lot has restroom, trash & recycling, & picnic tables. Be warned that parking lot is small and even though it may seem reasonable to park in the area signed for trailers as several people were doing, DO NOT do it! I got a $35 parking ticket :(

Every now and then we pick this trail as an alternative to Eagle Wind (on the other side of the road) though generally Eagle Wind is nicer imo. There's a daredevil pilot who hangs out here a lot so you might get to see some of his acrobatics, which is kinda fun.
As is true in this whole area, there are a lot of rattlers here so keep your ears open and your dog close.

Easy trail, narrow in some parts. Very dog friendly which was awesome. Good casual hike.

I am not sure why I chose this trail on the VERY windy day, Although this is shorter than the other trail, the footing is much harder with many many many rocks. Did not have much view as the clouds rolled in.

Not as easy as you'd think from easy rating, but definitely worth the effort

Decent, easy hike. Not a lot shade, but a few benches to rest along the trail.

Pretty and easy trail. No water or much shade though so pack extra if you bring the dogs!

Beautiful trail. Saw a bear at the overlook, tons of deer, and a rattlesnake. Incredible sunset! A very special place!

Great short and pleasant hike

Pleasant hike, not a lot of shade, very easy but relaxing!! Nice view when you get to the Overlook! Great for kids

Started to get cloudy so we turned around.. good trail though

Took my two kids (4&8) it was a good beginning how to see how they would do on longer more challenging hikes later. Gradual rise and fall in elevation, nothing extreme. Lots rock in about half the path. Definitely worth it to go past the trail end and see the overlook.
No cover entire trail.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Nice views, not a lot of traffic. Nice and quiet.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

great for trail running, good place for dogs. great Views!

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Awesome

Monday, February 06, 2017

A snow and ice storm had just past and the area was mostly empty. Plenty of wildlife around. A very easy hike even in the conditions. I averaged over 3mph. Nice area so close to the metro.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great day out with the family..

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Nice walk. Be prepared for no shade. Early morning is best. Lots of rocks on trail so have good shoes.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Beautiful views on clean, well-kept trail. (The whole Rabbit Mountain area is well-maintained and scenic.) This was greater difficulty than I would typically expect on an "easy" ranked trail, and in fact the park website lists it as "moderate", likely due to extensive rocky terrain and a long uphill portion.

Be alert for and stay safe around wildlife - the area is well-known for rattlesnakes, though I have never personally encountered one here.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Great short trail.

Monday, April 04, 2016

I live in Longmont and this is my go to hike to keep conditioned for the longer, more grueling hikes this state has to offer. I enjoy Rabbit Mtn as a whole.

Monday, March 14, 2016

the scenery was incredible. wide open landscapes with views of tiny far away towns and small cacti on the edges of the trail. the hike up becomes EXTREMELY rocky a little more than expected for an "easy" trail, but well worth the climb. it was very windy today so it made the journey a little harder but still enjoyable

Monday, January 18, 2016

Nice Easy little hike

Sunday, March 08, 2015

Maybe it's the time of year right now, but I did this one yesterday and it's very muddy and still pretty snowy. That wouldn't be bad, except compared to the nearby Eagle Wind there's not a whole lot of payoff.

Monday, December 03, 2012

Good trail, very rocky. Not really any shade cover. This was one of the first trails I hiked after moving to Colorado (and I was NOT a hiker before I lived here). Never seen any rattlesnakes, but tons of grasshoppers. Lots of dog walkers on this trail and I've seen plenty of kids.

Thursday, September 06, 2012

Really fun, easy trail--out & back. Great for running & biking (past the insane rockiness on the way up). The overlook is gorgeous and there are huge boulders for doing a little exploring. There isn't any tree-cover, it's all desert-y scrub land which makes it feel like you're on another planet (if you're more used to mountain/forest hikes). I still haven't seen any snakes on this trail. Lots of cool insects, crazy spider webs and prairie dogs.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

This is great for those new to hiking the Rockies - a good training location. However, it is located at Rabbit Mountain that once was called Rattlesnake Mountain for good reason. Keep your eyes open for wildlife that runs, flys and slithers.