Lionshead Rock via Cougar Ridge Trail

Lionshead Rock via Cougar Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Minturn, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,528 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy but doable. better as to get higher elevation.

Nice trail, but sections covered in snow and ice. First 1/3 of the trail was shaded and cold, slippery, muddy in spots, one blowdown, and it followed the small brook along the way. The grade was uphill all the way until we turned back. We came early and had hoped to get a sunny trail, but this wasnt it at the time so we turned around where it met the split.

Beautiful snow covered trail. A few toe grabbers were covered by fluffy powder but nothing treacherous. Well worth it.

Hiked this trail in the snow today. Awesome hike. Beautiful all the way to the top and then overlook views are amazing. A must do

Beautiful beautiful hike. Leaves are bright yellow. Great workout too!

Favorite hike. Nice gradual incline. Fall colors were beautiful. Highly recommend.

+s Awesome views, close to Vail/minturn, and easy to do in a few hours. -s can hear highway most of the time and a good mile is “unrelenting”.

Great hike! Pretty steep all the way up, but the view at the top is worth it. Very shady, and lots of aspens so this is perfect for fall when the leaves are changing! Highly recommend.

Short steep trail with amazing views at the top. Shady most of the entire way up. I recommend this hike for all intermediate to advanced hikers. Dog friendly.

Steadily steep the entire way up.The end result was pretty epic tho if you're not afraid of heights. Most taxing moderate I've done yet.

Uphill the whole way for one nice view overlooking Minturn.

Awesome view at the end. I think it was tougher than a lot of other hikes that are rated “difficult.”

Good trail for what it is! I did it round-trip from the road in an hour and 50 minutes. That include Stopping a couple times to take in the sights but I kept a pretty steady pace the whole way.Lots of Switchbacks so it wasn’t ever too steep. The leaves are just starting to change so I imagine in the next few weeks it’ll be even more gorgeous up here!

I tried doing this hike in July, but the ice melt made the beginning into a creek. this time, it was nice and dry! I was also pleasantly surprised to find it was mostly shaded, which was great since I was doing it in the afternoon. Beautiful little jaunt with some pretty views along the way, and less than 90 minutes round trip. I will definitely be doing this more often!

Super rewarding trail!

Beautiful wildflowers, steep and rocky! Between moderate and difficult!

Hiked it on a Saturday afternoon and it was not too crowded at all, though a few bikers came down from Vail. I’ve hiked other moderate-rated hikes in the area and will say this is a little more on the challenging side of moderate, as the pitch gets steep. My 6-year-old son was dragging & complaining but made it to the top. Hugely rewarding views at the end and you can actually climb out on the “lion’s head” rock. Trail clear and well maintained. Lots of biting flies so maybe wear repellant.

Clear of debris, rocky as always, but the perfect workout. Some of my favorite views in the valley!

Our family of four loved the hike today, but we'd categorize it closer to hard than moderate with most of the hike steadily uphill, but we loved that about 90% of the trail is shaded by trees. But the view at Lionshead Rock is awesome. Before you start the hike you can clearly see the destination rocky outcrop up and to the right from the trail head parking lot. There are also two great views of the Minturn valley on the way up to stop and gaze. Took us a little over two hours to ascend, but we stopped quite often to let mom rest and catch her breath.

Trail was in good shape. You can keep going up further. There is one portion that’s a little steep but overall I would still say moderate. Not a lot of having to plan out your feet work etc.

Amazing view at the end, but I would definitely consider this one “hard,” not “moderate.”

Trail in great shape, I would rate it somewhere between moderate and hard, one long straight up hill in the middle of the hike. Great views from the top!