Lionshead Rock via Cougar Ridge Trail

Lionshead Rock via Cougar Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Minturn, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,528 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Steadily steep the entire way up.The end result was pretty epic tho if you're not afraid of heights. Most taxing moderate I've done yet.

Uphill the whole way for one nice view overlooking Minturn.

Awesome view at the end. I think it was tougher than a lot of other hikes that are rated “difficult.”

Good trail for what it is! I did it round-trip from the road in an hour and 50 minutes. That include Stopping a couple times to take in the sights but I kept a pretty steady pace the whole way.Lots of Switchbacks so it wasn’t ever too steep. The leaves are just starting to change so I imagine in the next few weeks it’ll be even more gorgeous up here!

I tried doing this hike in July, but the ice melt made the beginning into a creek. this time, it was nice and dry! I was also pleasantly surprised to find it was mostly shaded, which was great since I was doing it in the afternoon. Beautiful little jaunt with some pretty views along the way, and less than 90 minutes round trip. I will definitely be doing this more often!

Super rewarding trail!

Beautiful wildflowers, steep and rocky! Between moderate and difficult!

Hiked it on a Saturday afternoon and it was not too crowded at all, though a few bikers came down from Vail. I’ve hiked other moderate-rated hikes in the area and will say this is a little more on the challenging side of moderate, as the pitch gets steep. My 6-year-old son was dragging & complaining but made it to the top. Hugely rewarding views at the end and you can actually climb out on the “lion’s head” rock. Trail clear and well maintained. Lots of biting flies so maybe wear repellant.

Clear of debris, rocky as always, but the perfect workout. Some of my favorite views in the valley!

Our family of four loved the hike today, but we'd categorize it closer to hard than moderate with most of the hike steadily uphill, but we loved that about 90% of the trail is shaded by trees. But the view at Lionshead Rock is awesome. Before you start the hike you can clearly see the destination rocky outcrop up and to the right from the trail head parking lot. There are also two great views of the Minturn valley on the way up to stop and gaze. Took us a little over two hours to ascend, but we stopped quite often to let mom rest and catch her breath.

Trail was in good shape. You can keep going up further. There is one portion that’s a little steep but overall I would still say moderate. Not a lot of having to plan out your feet work etc.

Amazing view at the end, but I would definitely consider this one “hard,” not “moderate.”

Trail in great shape, I would rate it somewhere between moderate and hard, one long straight up hill in the middle of the hike. Great views from the top!

Nice trail -- both aspens and lodgepole pines -- and a good workout. Lots of shade. Sadly, watch your step for dog poop on the trail (take note, dog owners)!

great hike. closer to 5 miles round trip. 1st quarter follows a beautiful stream. steady nice climb!

Tough beautiful hike! There is one stream near the bottom that has logs to help you cross it. The view at the top is wonderful. It was a total of 5.3 miles and took us 2.5 hours (moving time) and we went fast! We spent an additional 30-45 min at the top enjoying the views and snacks.

Loved loved this trail! It’s true that it is mostly uphill but take your time and it’s manageable for a novice hiker like me and just absolutely gorgeous. Gorgeous scenery, wildflowers, creeks, views, etc. it has it all!

Trail is easy to follow and pretty well shaded most of the time. No snow right now. It is uphill almost the entire way. Nice spot for lunch at the top with great views!

Trail was mostly dry today. Beautiful wildflowers-big and plentiful, lots of butterflies This hike is steep, uphill more than switchbacks, shaded and initially runs along the creek, beautiful aspen groves and scenery. There is a creek crossing-easier to walk on both logs rather than balance. There is a lovely lookout prior to the steepest, rockiest, and most difficult portion of the trial which takes you to the Lionshead rock landing lookout.

Great trail! Parking right in front of homes. Follow Game Creek sign but veer off towards the right when you have to walk across the logs to cross over. Took us a little over and hr to reach the rock (we are in pretty good shape). We ended up going an extra 30min to the second rock outcropping and had our packed lunch. Shaded but wear sunscreen. Gorgeous views and perfect lunch spot.

Hiked today 6/25. Great hike. Confusing at start because the trailhead sign does not say Lions Rock (pretty sure it said Game Creek). You’ll come to a fork before you cross the logs over the creek. Follow Cougar Ridge sign to the right. About 1/2 mile up there is a lookout over Minturn. Keep following trail up to Lions Rock. It’s massive and the views of Vail valley are incredible.

Stream high and fast. To cross you’ll be stepping on small logs. You need walking sticks. But a great hike with beautiful vista.

unable to go very far unless you have a change of shoes. If you make it through a bend about half a foot of water it looks fine past

Creek is running across the trail at the bottom but the rest of the trail is in good shape. Definitely doable if you don’t mind wet feet. Very good views at the top also.

All the run off was heading down the trail, so we turned around a half mile in. Will try again when it dries out!

Quick trip June 5th and we found the Game Creek overflowing it’s banks as well as the trail in 3 locations. After the creek the trail is fairly standard. Constant grade with a handful of switchbacks and about a half dozen trees across the trail. . At 9k ft we ran into quite a bit of snow in the trail. Which was more of an annoyance than anything. The view at the top is worth the effort. On the way down the snowmelt had raised the creek quite a bit, so be aware of the weather conditions that may affect Game Creek