Lion's Lair Trail

Lion's Lair Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 839 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paved

Deer b

recorded Lion's Lair Trail

Easy way to get to the top of Mt Sanitas! Got there early for a quiet hike. Only took about 50 minutes to get to the top. Saw deer and a flock of wild turkeys. No lions

Trail was awesome!! Fantastic views at the top :)

Pretty easy hike with nice views. Not too strenuous. Better for trail running if you’re looking for a workout.

A slog. basically a trail for exercising with lots of runners on it. view of the city at the top, but if you dont have many opportunities to hike, dont waste your time here. go to Lyons, Vail, Steamboat or more lush places. we wasted our time exploring here.

Trail was in great shape and very easy for kids. To say this is moderate would be a stretch. Few decent views of the mountains. If you want a couple good views of Boulder, then this is your hike. Otherwise, done it once, but probably never again as there are much better and rewarding hikes in Boulder.

I highly recommend this trail if you want a good hike with plenty of views of Boulder but don’t want the crowds. Not much elevation gain. Easy course. Plenty of shade, especially in the mid-morning when we went. Dogs are not allowed as we almost brought out pupper but glad we didn’t as there was a sign. Overall, great morning hike!

Nice trail. We just started at Lion’s Lair spur and hiked as far as the end of the Lion’s Lair, where the Mt. Sanitas trail started. Overcast day, so it wasn’t too hot, but many cacti indicated it can get pretty hot. Views of Boulder and beyond.

Great, lesser-known (than Sanitas), backside route to one of the great views in Colorado: Mt. Sanitas.

For mid-August, there are still quite a few wildflowers leftover

Didn’t complete the loop; just did an out and back to Mt Sanitas peak. Good tree coverage and great look out points along the way. View from peak was breathtaking. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a relatively easy hike to a great view of Boulder.

very easy beautiful Trail. I would recommend it

This was a great trail to hike. Especially for beginners. Lots of shade, great views along the way. Not too many people either. We started around 9:45-10AM. Went down via Mt Sanita’s which was probably a bad choice, def more difficult. Would absolutely do Lions Lair again!

LOVE this trail. Well-marked, well-maintained, gorgeous views throughout, and lots of shade. If you go a few minutes beyond the end of the trail, you reach the summit of Mt. Sanitas, which is breathtaking. It is a pretty crowded trail, but it’s wider than a lot of trails, so it makes it easy to accommodate two-way traffic.

Beautiful hike up Mt. Sanitas! There were lots of trail runners out this morning but didn't run into too many other hikers. Beautiful views on the way up and great views at the top. I took the east ridge trail back down and wish I had done out and back on this one!!

Easy switchbacks to the top of Sanitas. Shady & pretty views, flowers & wildlife. No dogs ( except where the other trails connect)or bikers & even though parking was packed it didn’t feel crowded. I will definitely do it again.

Really want to give this zero stars so I can have it all to myself. Easy-moderate.

Completed trail today on a cloudy overcast day which meant limited view at the top however was east to complete in cool temperature . The trail itself is well constructed but is heavy on traffic . Was nice to see various bird life and deer on route . Really enjoyed this hike and would recommend for families .

Our first hike in Boulder. Would rate it easy to moderate - constant elevation change which leans towards moderate. Path is well maintained and easy to navigate. Highly recommend this hike as it makes for a good workout as well as amazing views once you reach the summit of Mt. Sanitas

Beautiful easy trail but it was crowded!

I would say this was easy-moderate. It’s a pleasant, gradual gain in elevation, so by the time you summit, you’ve been working but it hasn’t been hard. It’s a really nice descent if you come up Mount Sanitas or East Ridge for a more challenging ascent.

Great hike. Lots of shade. Well groomed trail.

wife and I enjoyed hike.

Did this hike at 6:30pm and was absolute bliss as the sun set. One of the most beautiful easy hikes around.

We hiked this today with two young boys (8 & 12). Great hike and beautiful scenery. A few slightly challenging spots but not terrible. Lots of wildflowers and birds and great views from the top of Mount Sanitas!

Excellent hike! I am not young or in terrific shape but I could make it so I will rate it easy-moderate if you are in good shape. My ankles felt it on the way down which I did a lot faster than the climb up. I enjoyed the birds and wildflowers as well as the views. I was dropped off at the trailhead, went to the top, and walked back out all the way back to Broadway. That round trip took approximately 4+ hours with many stops to take pictures and look at flowers. I did out and back although you can return via Sanitas Trail or East Ridge which looked a bit dodgy to me. The trail is dry and well-maintained and there are no dogs which I am sorry to say, I really enjoyed for a change. Do it, you won't regret it.

Great trail! Saw deer and a family of wild turkeys! Lovely way to get up to the top of Sanitas!

Beautiful morning trail run; not too steep

pretty views and nice wide trail

Lovely hike with lots of wild flowers, and a beautiful view of the praire at the end