Lion's Lair Trail

Lion's Lair Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

A great trail overall. This is an easily accessible trail for a short hike - a steady climb with decent views and easy overall. Mount Sanitas was a bit crowded at the top (surprising for a Monday), but I only saw a few people on my route.

Started this hike a little after 10 am on a Sunday (4/22) and there was hardly anyone on the trail - mostly runners, probably due to the gradual slope and smooth packed gravel trail with relatively few larger rocks to navigate. Sanitas had gotten a bunch of snow/rain the day before but the trails were totally dry; no mud at all. I chose this as an easier alternative for out of town guests to the more crowded Mount Sanitas/Sanitas Valley loop and was glad I did so. A better workout this is not, but the views are pretty and the trail is quiet!

Great trail within minutes of Boulder. Steady climb to the top of Mt. Sanitas, seemed to be less crowded than the other routes to the summit.

Easy trail that is great for the whole family. Perfect distance and well marked. I like this better than the Sanitas trail in the same area. A little muddy on 4/7.

An easy trail to access, and I’d rate it as easy overall. We ended up coming down Mt Sanitas trail and looping back up to the car via sunshine canyon. All in all a great hike, and we got there early enough to beat the weekend traffic.

Great views from both sides of mountain by the time you reach the top! A few different types of terrain but nothing too difficult. A couple small muddy spots. 3/31/18 Not too many people either. 55 degrees on a Saturday afternoon. Saw 3 deer right when I got into by car as well. Loved this hike!

Great trail to run up, glad I took this route to the top of Mt. Sanitas and down the Sanitas trail. Very empty on the weekend.

Beautiful views of the high country, Boulder, and the foothills. Trail 98% dry on 3/4.

Nice trail'; not very rocky, which explains all the runners. It was busy but not too crowded on a 70 degree Sunday in February. No ice at that time. When we got to the top of Sanitas, there were a TON of people and dogs!

No dogs allowed on this trail is probably what made it much less busy than the rest of the trails. We hardly saw anyone until the trail got to the top of Sanitas, then it was packed. Muddy and icy in some spots.

Nice hike up to Mt Sanitas

Beautiful valley hike. Clear path. Get there early this weekend, it’ll be full of trail runners.

So fun! Even in the snow!

Nice, quick trail. Well marked, patrolled, and maintained. Not much parking at the trail head. The trail is narrow and had a lot of traffic, so we moved aside several times for the hardcore jogging crowd. The peak at the top was clustered with people (Sunday around noon). That said, gorgeous, if not typical, views from the front range over Boulder. As nice as it was, we will probably try every other trail in the area before we go back to this one.

Fun hike with a few sections of snow on the trail but nothing to deter you from giving this trail a try!

Nice hike. Did not need micro spikes even though there was a bit of snowpack. Awesome view at Sanitas!

Very beautiful views on this moderate trail. A great running trail, and lots of nice places to stop and have a picnic.

Relatively easy out and back on a nicely kept trail. Gets excellent afternoon light.

Trail was in good shape. Elevation was gradual with switchbacks. I got there around 10am on a Saturday and there was little traffic on the trail. By the time I was on my return trip, the traffic had increased drastically. Great hike overall with some good views.

Excellent trail with spectacular views of the Indian Peaks as you gain elevation
Terminated at Sanitas Mountain where you then have 3 options: return back same way, or choose 2 other trails back down.
Please observe the no dogs allowed restrictions

Little traffic, trail in great shape. Very gradual incline and not very rocky. A lot of switchbacks. Views of the snowcapped mountains west and Boulder east at different points along the way. Excellent for trail running without a ton of elevation.

Nice smooth trail with switchbacks most of the way. Beautiful scenario of mountains and forest. Much better on the knees and joints.

Love this trail. Easy elevation nice trails. Running trail

Rated easy by some but I give it a moderate to difficult if you do a large loop as I did and return via the East Ridge Trail to avoid the hoards on the Sanitas Valley Trail. I rate it easy-moderate-difficult in places depending on which descent you choose. I began at the Centennial Trailhead and walked up Sunshine Cyn. Trail crossing the Sunshine Cyn Rd. to the Lion's Lair Trailhead. Adds a mile one way. I plan to do it again but to go out and back and avoid BOTH the dodgy East Ridge and the over-crowded Sanitas Valley Trail descents. A well-cut and maintained trail but I did see the ever-present dog poo bags, etc. I recommend spring for viewing wildflowers. Fun with great views.