Linkins Lake Trail

Linkins Lake Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and fishing and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 528 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Aspen: Drive 18-1/2 miles east of Aspen on Highway 82 to the last switchback before Independence Pass. The trailhead is on the left (north) side of the highway.

Beautiful trail and lake. This trail still probably needs hiking boots because there is a lot of water running down the trail. In boots, my feet were comfy and dry. Getting up there early solved the snow. Did not post hole at all when I hit the lake at 9:30 am. Some post holing on the way out at 10:45 am. Snow field routes - go towards the big white rocks. At the first field, find the white rock to the left in the distance. Follow those tracks, staying just right of it. At the second field, go across to the white right rock but stay left of it this time. When you get to the middle of the second field, look around. You'll see the rock border of the trail. Saw 25+ people by 11 am so a perfect trail to practice Leave No Trace. If you are on rocks or snow, you are doing it right. If you are on dirt or plants, look for a better choice. Gorgeous, peaceful hike with marmots and long-tailed weasels (aka snow ferrets).

Went up today, July 7th. Still lots of snow near the lake but it's doable. A bit of post holing, but there are plenty of other tracks to follow. Lake is still mostly frozen over. Went up in trail runners and ended up with soggy socks and a sunburn (no cover!). Still, it's a beautiful hike. I think it was worth it.

I agree 100% with previous review. We attempted this hike today and had difficulty with the mud and snow in places. The snow was deep and soft and very slippery in places. We had to backtrack once we got to the top of the ridge because of a late day thunderstorm rolling in. Would love to go back after the snow melts.

I would rate this trail higher later in the year...right now there is still quite a bit of snow, and the lake was frozen over. We all got our shoes and socks wet and muddy, and the snow was too deep to reach the shore of the lake. It was a lovely hike, however, along the stream. The views were wonderful. 3 adults and 5 teenagers had a great time with all the snow hijinks. Trekking poles would have helped.

Disregard the rating because unfortunately the trail is still snowed out.

My favorite trail to date - short hike with beautiful lake and mountain views and lots of flowers!

Short little hike with amazing wild flowers and a nice lake greeting you at the top

Monday, July 16, 2018

Cool short hike. Went Saturday afternoon and there was some others but not busy at all. Most ppl were doing Independence tail/lake or the Lost Man trail. They all start here. Beautiful views, cool lake and fish. I didn’t catch any but saw a few swimming around.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

SO WORTH IT if you are coming from sea level (like I did) to give yourself some time and get up to this lake. I had to take a few 1 minute breaks to catch my breath, but it was definitely worth it. Also, the wildflowers were stunning.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

We did this hike June 10, 2018. There was a substantial amount of snow (about 100 yards or so) near the top of the hike, but it was easy to see the trail at the start and end of the snowfield. The lake is spectacular – and there was still a lot of ice on it. Even without the ice, it would’ve been beautiful. There are a few steeper parts along the way, but all in all not bad. Given that you start at a higher elevation, I would acclimate to Aspen’s altitude for a couple of days before doing this hike.

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

My friends and I loved this little trail. It's a quick one with only a couple steep areas. The wild flowers around the end of June/beginning of July are very pretty. The lake is gorgeous! Two of us went skinny dipping to refresh-it was quite chilly but bearable! If you veer to the left of the lake there is another trail that goes up about another 600 ft or so in elevation. I didn't see a marker for the trail but it's definitely worth exploring! You can see great views of the lake from above and then at the summit you can see the views of the other side and there are 3 or 4 more visible lakes over that way. Adding this part on makes for a good 3 hour total exploration.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Fairly steep ascent to the lake, but this is a very cool alpine area with lots of wildflowers present in late June.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

My wife and I went last weekend. It was beautiful at the top. It's a steep climb at a high elevation, but it's short, and the lake at the top is pretty. It was a bit muddy and marshy at the top from runoff, but the trail was almost completely snow-free.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Not too long. Amazing payoff with the high mountain lake. Went with my wife and two boys 9 and 11. Had to take a couple breaks on the steeper sections but they made it no problem. Went in mid June and had some good snow melt runoff and only a couple sections a little muddy. Still a couple snow banks to play with and snow around the lake. Awesome..

Sunday, November 05, 2017

This was a nice hike to a beautiful little lake.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

short n steep. nice payoff up top

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Had a great time with my family here today. Our 7 and 9 year old boys were in a rotten mood on the way up, but all was cured when we got to the lake at the top. We had the area all to ourselves for about an hour which we spent wading in the water to find stones for skipping. Highly recommend!

Friday, August 04, 2017

My fiancé and I took our dog and it was a great hike. A little challenging at times but we really enjoyed it... and the view at the top is definitely worth it!! We went early and glad we did as there were several groups coming up as we were descending. Easy to find... with enough parking on both sides of the road. It is right before the summit of Independence Pass.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great short hike

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Short, but steep. Totally worth it!