Limber Grove Trail

Limber Grove Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fairplay: Fourmile Campground is located approximately 11 miles southwest of the town of Fairplay, Colorado. Visitors may reach this campground by taking State Highway 285 south from Fairplay for approximately 2 miles to County Road 18. Travel west on County Road 18 for approximately 2 miles to the Forest Boundary. At this point this road becomes Forest Developed Road 182. From here continue on 182 for approximately 7 miles and the campground will be on the right. The Limber Grove Trailheads are located within Horseshoe and Fourmile Campgrounds.

Such a fun and interesting hike. Loved the trees and the rocks!

Loved this hike!!! Gorgeous scenery! I'm a native who's been hiking all my life and I saw more interesting beauty than almost any other place in the state.

We started from the trailhead at the Horseshoe Campground, where we were camping. Since we were staying there, we didn't have very far to walk to the trailhead, which starts at the back of the campground. For those that aren't staying in the campground, you have to park at a small parking area to the right/west, just before the campground entrance.
Great trail for kids! This was the perfect trail for our almost 3-year old to hike up to the limber grove (then we carried him down in the backpack carrier), although the talus at the grove was a little difficult for him to navigate over. Our boys loved the old trees. Many of them had been struck by lightning, so there were lots of pretty colors on the bark. Such a unique place. We didn't continue on to the Fourmile Campground since the limber grove was our destination anyways.

Not a soul around. Midweek hike.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Absolutely beautiful! Took my dog and only saw one other couple 10 minutes into hike as they were leaving so was able to let my dog off leash. We both loved the hike and the Limber Grove was amazing!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Awesome trail! Beautiful grove of bristlecone and limber pines!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Nice hike through the woods up to the rock slide. Great views of the cliffs above and surrounding mountains. 1000 year old twisted pine trees in Limber Grove were especially impressive.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

My boyfriend and I took our two akitas on this trail today. itbwas very quiet, we only saw one other group. The creek right when you park is beautiful and so are the ancient trees. We will definitely do again! I would say it's about 50/50 shade and sun. It wasn't too bad for us and we don't hike crazy trails. The one thing to make note of is that the rock slide area is hard for dogs to navigate. I don't know if I would bring mine back, they didn't seem to like walking on all the broken rocks.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016