Limber Grove Trail

Limber Grove Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fairplay: Fourmile Campground is located approximately 11 miles southwest of the town of Fairplay, Colorado. Visitors may reach this campground by taking State Highway 285 south from Fairplay for approximately 2 miles to County Road 18. Travel west on County Road 18 for approximately 2 miles to the Forest Boundary. At this point this road becomes Forest Developed Road 182. From here continue on 182 for approximately 7 miles and the campground will be on the right. The Limber Grove Trailheads are located within Horseshoe and Fourmile Campgrounds.

Nice, easy little trail with minimal elevation gain. Most of it is under shade but the section in the middle is exposed rock. Trail loops around at Horseshoe campground which is a great place to eat lunch and relax.

Have hiked this many times with out of town guests and limited time. The variety is what makes this trail special. A pretty water crossing, the amazing gnarly and ancient Limber Pines, the large rocks in the grove to climb on and the serene trail through the woods. For an extra you can scramble up the scree by the grove towards the top of Sheep Mountain. Many times we park at the upper trailhead and only go as far as the grove and back. If you do the whole trail we either park a car at both ends or double back the way we came, otherwise you share a very dusty road with vehicles getting back to your car. Great trail for kids.

Great trail, interesting terrain and loved the ancient tree grove. Of note, the trailhead is easy to find but the final 6.5 miles driving in/out is all dirt/gravel road. As far as dogs go, just know the middle section of the trail is all rock and could be really difficult for some dogs, especially in hot weather. All in all we really enjoyed the trail and the views.

Awesome trail and limber and bristlecone pine trees.

We went this last weekend on 1/5/18 and though it was windy, beautiful day. It was a great hike, cool trees and big rocks.

Wasn't hard at all, took my dog with me definitely leash. It was so beautiful I loved the entrance to the hike with the logs and water.

Very pretty with the snow

Such a fun and interesting hike. Loved the trees and the rocks!

Loved this hike!!! Gorgeous scenery! I'm a native who's been hiking all my life and I saw more interesting beauty than almost any other place in the state.

We started from the trailhead at the Horseshoe Campground, where we were camping. Since we were staying there, we didn't have very far to walk to the trailhead, which starts at the back of the campground. For those that aren't staying in the campground, you have to park at a small parking area to the right/west, just before the campground entrance.
Great trail for kids! This was the perfect trail for our almost 3-year old to hike up to the limber grove (then we carried him down in the backpack carrier), although the talus at the grove was a little difficult for him to navigate over. Our boys loved the old trees. Many of them had been struck by lightning, so there were lots of pretty colors on the bark. Such a unique place. We didn't continue on to the Fourmile Campground since the limber grove was our destination anyways.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Not a soul around. Midweek hike.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Absolutely beautiful! Took my dog and only saw one other couple 10 minutes into hike as they were leaving so was able to let my dog off leash. We both loved the hike and the Limber Grove was amazing!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Awesome trail! Beautiful grove of bristlecone and limber pines!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Nice hike through the woods up to the rock slide. Great views of the cliffs above and surrounding mountains. 1000 year old twisted pine trees in Limber Grove were especially impressive.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

My boyfriend and I took our two akitas on this trail today. itbwas very quiet, we only saw one other group. The creek right when you park is beautiful and so are the ancient trees. We will definitely do again! I would say it's about 50/50 shade and sun. It wasn't too bad for us and we don't hike crazy trails. The one thing to make note of is that the rock slide area is hard for dogs to navigate. I don't know if I would bring mine back, they didn't seem to like walking on all the broken rocks.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Beautiful hike. It rained on is lightly but the views were wonderful! Pretty easy hike. We will be going back!

scenic driving
Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This trail looks beautiful. Too bad it was snow covered this weekend and I didn't bring any snow gear so we Z and I just stopped by the trailhead, took a couple pictures and meandered on.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Amazing ancient trees, a must see. Fun walk across the rock slide area and a creek.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

This trail takes you through some old Limber Pine and big boulders at the base of Sheep Mt. The trail is between to campgrounds on 4 Mile Creek Rd.