Lily Mountain Trail

Lily Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Directions from Estes Park: Go south on Hwy 7 about 5.8 miles. Just before the 6 mile marker there is a small pull-off area by the trailhead sign. Be careful because parking space is limited and the pull-off sits just off busy Hwy 7.

Great first hike in estes. Amazing views at the top. Pretty easy to navigate the entire route. Saw a lot of dogs on the trail. Weird bugs at the top but none on the trail. Good spot if you want to get a quick hike in.

Great views but it seems like every other time I do this hike I'm swarmed by bugs. they're only at the top- nowhere else!:-). if you like this hike you'd also like Old man Mountain near Estes Park. It's very short and very steep but a really fun rock scramble and has views almost as good as Lily Mountain.

Great hike! Nice places to climb! Easy access and not heavily trafficked!

Amazing views! Bring water and make sure your dog is cool with getting over boulders - we all loved it!

Beautiful views at the top however, we would not recommend for first time hikers or for the first Rocky Mountain hike. We recommend choosing a trail which leads to water as you will more than likely see the same mountain view along the way. Also, would not recommend you bring your dog unless they have climbed a mountain before.

One of my favorite hikes. Did this one on mother's day. Short but a little tough mountain. The view is amazing at the top!!

lovely little hike. My 7 year olds first summit. I give it 5 stars because there is a little scrambling at the top which is fun but safe. And the views are awesome for the type of altitude you are at. In other words no trees obfuscating the view of the Dimond and other mountains surrounding.

Beautiful hike that took just a couple of hours, our dog also loved it.

My children really enjoyed this trail! It was a nice trail for them to participate in.

Great hike ! We started the hike in the morning and it took us about two hours to get to the top . Most of it was pretty mild except for the very top . The last few feet you have to rock scramble to get amazing views . We spotted a bear a little off the trail on the way back . Our dog also loved it :)

Hiked this morning for the first time. It def is moderate as you gain elevation steadily and it is higher elevation the the front range. Views from the top are epic. High wind gusts today. Had the top to ourselves for 15 min before next crowd arrived. Based on their reviews of it being well populated we felt lucky to have no humans around. On way out spotted deer. Trailhead starts at 8780 elevation and highest point is 9786’

Hiked this trail on 6/6. We started a little later than we would have liked. It was warm and sunny. It took us 2 hours to hike up and only an hour to come down. We took a lot of brakes in shade to cool down. We were not acclimated to the elevation and needed to catch our breath as well. There are several spur trails on the way up, but there are limbs blocking those trails so be mindful not to get lost. Nice views of Estes Park on the way up. There is a sign near the summit that says "trail" pointing to the right. It is not really a trail, but a lot of boulders with several options to scramble through to reach the summit. Honestly, you just have to make your own way through. And though you start on your right, you need to switch back to the left to reach the summit. The 360 view at the top is spectacular and well worth every uphill step we took. Please note that there is nothing between you and falling off the mountain. There is not much room for more than 2 people to view the summit at a time.

hiked this trail last summer and we will probably go back this summer. beautiful views the whole way up. dont get fooled there is a false summet so make sure to follow the arrows on the trail. it was really steep getting to the very top of the mountain but So So worh it! I will probably leave my dogs at home next time since the trail was So busy.

Relatively easy hike with an amazing view. Would climb over and over again!

Awesome hike for a beginner such as me.

View at the top is worth it. 360 degree mountain view. Climb up can be strenous as I found myself taking more breaks than I normally do but the descent was very fast lol.

Good hike you can do with your dogs in the Estes area.

Love this hike for the 360 degree view at the top. We did it Day 1 after coming from little altitude. It was tough - would’ve like to acclimate more beforehand. Definitely worth it though.

Fun hike with a rewarding view at the top

We set out early on 05/19/2018. Parked at trailhead off road N 40 19.153. W 105 32.478. Very grey overcast day, trail a bit hard to follow at first for a couple of newbies, but made the trek with no problems. The fun was within 75 feet of the top, A bit of creative rock climbing involved, but we made the top even with inadequate footwear! Totally in the clouds today with no view but had the top to ourselves, with the exception of a couple of ground squirrels, for 40 minutes. Saw maybe a dozen hikers on the trail. Got back to vehicle just before a bit of rain.
Left with a sense of accomplishment !!!
(For most of the trek we had cell coverage unlike most of the trails in RMNP proper.)

A beautiful and moderately challenging hike. Not the hardest in Estes, but well worth the view at the top.

Tough. But stunning once you are on the rocks.

This is truly a hidden gem that has a great view at the top!

The View-
Along the first half of the trail you can spur off onto some outcroppings and get a nice view of highway 7 and the southern portion of Estes. At the top you can see for miles! Clear line of sight of Longs Peak and a full 360 view of other mountains in the area.

The Trail-
Dogs allowed on leash. No snow the entire way and it took about an hour one way. The trail isn’t very well maintained has large rocks and roots sticking out along the trail, so watch out! There’s a few times along the trail where it was hard to tell if you’re on the right path, so have a map or GPS. Towards the top you’ll need to climb over large boulders and it can be a little technical for some. There’s not a whole lot of room for big crowds at the top but the view is great!

Parking-
There’s not a whole lot of parking available, it’s whatever you can find along the side of the road. If it’s packed you can find more parking downhill (north) from the trail head along the highway. During the warmer months there’s a lot of traffic along the road so be careful!

Hiked 5/11 excellent hike! Pretty challenging, but worth it. The end involves finding your own way up through some pretty steep rocks so be prepared. No snow on the trail and dry. The view is amazing, full 360 if RMNP one of the best views I’ve had short of 14er’s

Hiked yesterday. The trails had patches of snow at the top. The views were amazing. Dog enjoyed the hike.

For first time visitors: departing from Estes, if you hit Lily Lake you have gone too far. The entrance is not clearly marked but is on the west side of the highway.

I wish there was a way to remove the graffiti near the creek.

Overall, a good hike.

Hiked yesterday. Packed snow and ice along the trail, but was able to do it in just hiking boots. Trail is pretty poorly marked so you definitely have to pay attention. Some scrambling toward the end of the trail. Views at the top are GORGEOUS!

It's certainly pretty, but this has to be one of the worst marked Trails I've ever seen. I got lost multiple times. I don't even know if I ever made it to the job. Very frustrating.

Fun hike with my son! Need spikes when coming down towards the top because it is slushy and snow packed in areas.

3/24/18
Trailhead parking is on the road. The trail gets hard to find a out .8 miles in. Nice overall hike, a few spots on the way up would have been nice to have micro spikes. By 10am the snow was starting to melt and it created some challenges coming down without solid footing.

really nice view