Lily Lake to Estes Cone Loop

Lilly Lake to Estes Cone Loop is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,549 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take Storm Pass trail beginning on the south side of the Lilly Lake parking lot. The trail winds its way up through the forest and provides an occasional glimpse of Longs Peak. The junction to the top Estes Cone is marked with good signage and can't be missed. After you join the Estes Cone trail the route becomes much more difficult. The trail is hard to make out but if you follow the cairns you will make it to the top. Be prepared to scramble the last few hundred feet.

Didn’t make it all the way to Estes Cone but still had a lovely and peaceful outing. Started by going counterclockwise around Lily Lake (on Lily Ridge Trail), the views of Longs Peak behind the lake are awesome. Once on Storm Pass Trail you will have much solitude. I didn’t see anyone else on Storm Pass (SP) this afternoon. Hiking on SP got very challenging once the snowshoe tracks I was hiking on ran out. I pushed on in ankle to shin deep snow but because I was moving pretty slowly I decided to turn around. Still got some beautiful shots of Twin Sisters and enjoyed have the trail all to myself.

icy

I had this trail to myself today. A strange feeling... Started at 8 am, done at 12:30 pm. traction and poles are recommended. Other than that no issues. Did not spend a lot of time on the summit due to strong winds. the rest of the time I was protected by the trees. Overall a fun hike. I will do it again during the summer.

Challenging, especially for someone not accustomed to the altitude. Also I’m used to relatively flat trails and this one had my heart pumping the entire way. The views from the top are fantastic. This time of year, the flora and fauna were not to die for, but I’m sure a few weeks/months back, it would be nice. It took us about 4.25 hrs round trip with a 20 min break for lunch and 20 min break at the summit. The way down is much easier.

This was an okay hike. Very easy at the beginning and a light scramble towards the end. If you’re looking for something more challenging with a better view, I would opt in for Twin Sisters Peak which is just across the road from the trailhead.

very good trail and challenging hike.

Beautiful views of the Estes Valley, Twin Sisters Peaks, and Longs Peak / Mt. Meeker from the summit. Fairly easy hike until the last half mile, which involves some steep scrambling over roots and larger rocks. A bit of easy rock climbing to get to the true summit.

The path was good and well maintained. Last about 0.7 miles was steep uphill. Path went in the woods and there was not good views during the hike. At the Estes Cone view was nice, but not good enough to compensate boring hike in the woods.

This was a great hike. Trail is well maintained, except the sign where you need to make the right turn to Storm Pass is down but the trail is pretty obvious. Just make the first right after the Lily Lake turnoff at the beginning and you will be all set. Wildflowers abound and plenty of parking at 630 am - not so much when we ended at 1130. Excellent views. The scramble to the top is short and doable. Hike is mostly uphill with a few flats and even some downhills but the 360 view from the top worth every step.

Hard hike - not that steep until the final push up Estes Cone, but relentless. The final 0.7 of a mile up the cone is killer. Fantastic views from the top make the pain worthwhile.

Very nice hike! The Storm Pass trail is pretty challenging and was almost always uphill, but it's unique in that the views are still great and we met only five people on that trail specifically. One the Estes Cone Loop, things went a bit differently. We were bracketed by two youth camps in route to the summit, so it was much more crowded than the Storm Pass Trail. Didn't get to fully explore the summit due to the massive number of young people, but the views we did experience were spectacular! It is a steep climb up to the summit, and you have to clamber over many a rock/boulder, but it was still definitely worth it. One tip: Bring lots of water, snacks, a pair of good ankle-support shoes, and a walking stick. They proved invaluable!

amazing views. The trail still had a lot of snow but I was able to complete with hiking boots.

Still pretty snowed-in, but we did it without traction. Astounding views. Super cold.

Nice hike last .7 mi to summit not overly steep Just fallow the cairns you’ll be fine

Sat Aug 25 2018

Started from lily lake, and decided on the spot to hike the storm pass trail. After 3 miles, seeing the Estes cone 0.7miles, so why not summit it. Literally rock climbing, but at the end. Worth it! Estes cone summit

Tue Aug 14 2018

Not my favorite trail in RMNP. Lots of rock/boulder steps & pretty steep throughout. Not unstable, just steep until the end when you're forced to scramble up a boulder field to the top which we decided to pass on due to weather. Some great views of Longs Peak along the way though. Probably won't do this one again though. Too many other trails to tackle!

Mon Aug 13 2018

Hard all the way to the top but worth it for the views from up there!

Sun Aug 05 2018

Awesome views at the top make it worth the last 0.7 mike scramble. Arrived 6:30am and plenty of parking still available by Lily Lake (it’s a small lot though so any later and may have been full). The lake is lovely and flat, we did a circuit through the valley behind the lake as well, which was easy and lightly trafficked. The last scramble to the top is pretty well marked with cairns, but tough, though as I said, the 360 views are so worth it.

Wed Jun 06 2018

Very good hike: good trail, good views, a little scramble at the top. More people than I expected on a weekday, but they were mostly from the LP trailhead.

Mon May 28 2018

I love the awesome view from the summit. This trail is one of my favorite and have been hiking it for the last 18 years.