Liberty Cap Trail

Liberty Cap Trail is a 12.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redlands, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

From the Wildwood Trailhead on the East side of Colorado National Monument climb the mesa via switchbacks that climb the wall quickly. Beautiful trail offering an impressive vista of Colorado National Monument and Independence Rock in particular. Visitors can use the Wildwood Trailhead on the East side of the park that then connects with Liberty Cap Trail. This access point requires some steep inclines, but once you've made it to the top of the mesa you're rewarded with beautiful views.

Difficult ascending, but absolutely gorgeous when you get up there. Hiking up to black ridge trail takes quite awhile and is serene, especially when flowers are in bloom.

One of the most rewarding hikes in the valley.

please note that this review is based on starting from the upper trailhead and hiking down two miles.

it is basically an old dirt road converted to a trail and winds through the relatively flat part of the Mesa. there are no views to speak of and if you go to miles, you can see Ute Canyon in the far distance but not awesome and not worth the hike.

hiking from the lower trailhead or hiking all the way down from the upper trailhead may afford a better hike.

Hiked to Ottos Bathtub from the Rim Rock Dr. Trail Head for Liberty Cap- Super easy trail as its an old road. Made it out to the bathtub but did not climb down in!

my favorite hike ever!

I've gone 3 times in the last month. I absolutely love this trail. I hike the wildwood trail to liberty cap. I feel like Sylvester Stallone at the top!!!❤

It was a great hike (a bit tough as it was my first time) but it had beautiful views and was lucky to see some big horn sheeps/ mountain goats... I would definitely hike this trail again!

Did this a couple days ago. Started at the upper TH. Very quiet, saw 1 other hiker. Visually stunning (except maybe the first 1.5 miles) especially the last mile to the lower TH. The first 5 miles or so are fairly easy. Able to complete the 13 mile or so round trip in 4 hours. Very exposed! Bring hydration and sunscreen. Trail is easy to follow. I always bring trekking poles but never used them on this trail. Maybe some class 2 depending on experience.

Hiked this back in Nov-2017 as a very long loop with the Ute Canyon Trail (10.2 miles on the trail, plus 2.9 miles on the road). It was a long mostly flat walk, but great weather and very low people traffic. Felt like I had an entire canyon to myself :)

It is a nice hike starting from Wildwood TR up to Rim Rock Dr however plan lots of time for the hike. The traveling is rough in spots so I couldn’t go very fast. It is not a hike you want to do in the dark.

UGH. So I hiked from outside the monument and it was the most torturous 2 miles up to the cap (incredible view but I wanted to die). I knew the next 5ish miles were fairly boring and flat into the monument without a real view so I decided to skip that. I turned around and took the Cork Screw Connector Trail back to the car. But I got SO LOST. The trail disappeared and I literally walked directly out of the monument and ended up at a gas station! Had to walk 2 miles on the road to get back to my car. It was my least favorite hike in the monument that I’ve done.

5.9 mile round trip was hard climb to the bench trail and the trip down was hard.

Great views of the Valley on the way up and in all directions from the top!

Hella fun. My 5yo killed it.

excellent trail. fun ascent. beautiful views. one of my favorites!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

First half is quite the workout. Views at the top is well worth it.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

I've done this hike a billion times and I still come back. It's moderately challenging for myself, but once you reach the half point sign, it's easy. Love it at the top!

Monday, May 29, 2017

I love this trail, it's the hike I've done the most for sure. It's challenging, but the views at the top are great. it can be pretty crowded at time though cause it's a popular trail. But super fun!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Beautiful views!

Friday, March 10, 2017

Beautiful Mesa trail. Big climb to the top.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

the hiking it self is perfect! the trail heads are a little anticlimactic lol great day long hike

Saturday, August 13, 2016

B

Sunday, July 03, 2016

This trail is hard, from the wildwood trail head up to liberty cap. But once you get to the top the views are awesome. I had done it once before just to liberty cap then back down, so this time I kept going to the upper liberty cap trail head. I didn't make it all the way, I was moving slow, trying to get some good pictures, so I turned around after a few hours to get back down before the storm clouds got anymore menacing. After liberty cap there is just one more short steep part, then its pretty flat. You get to see some glimpses of the Monument canyons from the trail, but they are pretty far in the distance. Overall, this trail is fun, and I plan on going back soon!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Many wildflower so pretty! Monarch butterfly's, lizards. Not many people, so a beautiful meditative hike!

Monday, June 15, 2015

This trail was suggested to do early am because I was likely to see wildlife. I was on the trail just after sunrise, did not see a single critter. lots of tracks. I only went about 3.5 miles in, got bored. it had rained a lot in the previous days and the mud was just awful.

I prefer the trails that rim or go into the canyons for more visual interest.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

More like 4.5 miles. Trail is nice and marked well, but kinda rugged and steep. I did the Corkscrew trail on the way back to make it a loop. Went around back of the Liberty Cap and climbed up the "ladder" - it had nice holds carved out and metal rods sticking out of the rock. Once on top, great views of the city to the north, and great view of Ute Canyon to the north. Cool rock formations all around. Saw 2 collared lizards down towards the bottom. 3 hours for me, with lots of time for pics and lunch on top. Can't bring dogs - bummer.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pretty views lots of great cardio- wished my dogs could've came