Liberty Cap Trail

Liberty Cap Trail is a 13.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redlands, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

From the Wildwood Trailhead on the East side of Colorado National Monument climb the mesa via switchbacks that climb the wall quickly. Beautiful trail offering an impressive vista of Colorado National Monument and Independence Rock in particular. Visitors can use the Wildwood Trailhead on the East side of the park that then connects with Liberty Cap Trail. This access point requires some steep inclines, but once you've made it to the top of the mesa you're rewarded with beautiful views.

I love this trail, it's the hike I've done the most for sure. It's challenging, but the views at the top are great. it can be pretty crowded at time though cause it's a popular trail. But super fun!

Beautiful views!

Beautiful Mesa trail. Big climb to the top.

the hiking it self is perfect! the trail heads are a little anticlimactic lol great day long hike

B

This trail is hard, from the wildwood trail head up to liberty cap. But once you get to the top the views are awesome. I had done it once before just to liberty cap then back down, so this time I kept going to the upper liberty cap trail head. I didn't make it all the way, I was moving slow, trying to get some good pictures, so I turned around after a few hours to get back down before the storm clouds got anymore menacing. After liberty cap there is just one more short steep part, then its pretty flat. You get to see some glimpses of the Monument canyons from the trail, but they are pretty far in the distance. Overall, this trail is fun, and I plan on going back soon!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Many wildflower so pretty! Monarch butterfly's, lizards. Not many people, so a beautiful meditative hike!

geocaching
Saturday, May 14, 2016

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Monday, June 15, 2015

This trail was suggested to do early am because I was likely to see wildlife. I was on the trail just after sunrise, did not see a single critter. lots of tracks. I only went about 3.5 miles in, got bored. it had rained a lot in the previous days and the mud was just awful.

I prefer the trails that rim or go into the canyons for more visual interest.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

More like 4.5 miles. Trail is nice and marked well, but kinda rugged and steep. I did the Corkscrew trail on the way back to make it a loop. Went around back of the Liberty Cap and climbed up the "ladder" - it had nice holds carved out and metal rods sticking out of the rock. Once on top, great views of the city to the north, and great view of Ute Canyon to the north. Cool rock formations all around. Saw 2 collared lizards down towards the bottom. 3 hours for me, with lots of time for pics and lunch on top. Can't bring dogs - bummer.