Liberty Cap Trail

Liberty Cap Trail is a 13.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redlands, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

2020 feet

From the Wildwood Trailhead on the East side of Colorado National Monument climb the mesa via switchbacks that climb the wall quickly. Beautiful trail offering an impressive vista of Colorado National Monument and Independence Rock in particular. Visitors can use the Wildwood Trailhead on the East side of the park that then connects with Liberty Cap Trail. This access point requires some steep inclines, but once you've made it to the top of the mesa you're rewarded with beautiful views.

UGH. So I hiked from outside the monument and it was the most torturous 2 miles up to the cap (incredible view but I wanted to die). I knew the next 5ish miles were fairly boring and flat into the monument without a real view so I decided to skip that. I turned around and took the Cork Screw Connector Trail back to the car. But I got SO LOST. The trail disappeared and I literally walked directly out of the monument and ended up at a gas station! Had to walk 2 miles on the road to get back to my car. It was my least favorite hike in the monument that I’ve done.

5.9 mile round trip was hard climb to the bench trail and the trip down was hard.

Great views of the Valley on the way up and in all directions from the top!

Hella fun. My 5yo killed it.

excellent trail. fun ascent. beautiful views. one of my favorites!

First half is quite the workout. Views at the top is well worth it.

I've done this hike a billion times and I still come back. It's moderately challenging for myself, but once you reach the half point sign, it's easy. Love it at the top!

I love this trail, it's the hike I've done the most for sure. It's challenging, but the views at the top are great. it can be pretty crowded at time though cause it's a popular trail. But super fun!