Lenawee Trail

Lenawee Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,280 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Silverthorne: Go east on Hwy 6, past Keystone, to the Montezuma Road. Turn right, then an immediate left, and travel for 4.6 miles to the Peru Creek Road. Turn left, and look for the Lenawee Trail sign 0.6 miles past the creek crossing. Park along side the road.

Absolutely stunning hike. We just did it on September 28th with the Aspens at peak colors. It tools us about 4 hours total round trip and we clocked it at 7.88 miles. I would rate the actual terrain as blue, but we’re not used to altitude, so 2,000 ft elevation gain up to 12,500 ft altitude makes it a black diamond in my mind. Absolutely stunning views!!!

The trail was is great shape. Unbelievable views. Some steep parts, but not difficult. A couple of the spots (narrow ledges) might be challenging for those who have a problem with heights . Overall, it is a beautiful trail.

Hiked up to Little Lenawee from the Abasin parking lot to check out our favourite ski area "sans snow". Easy hike on trails and service roads which shared with 4 mountain bikers till we hit the top of Montezuma lift. The bikers took off down to Peru Creek and we followed the trail to skirt the first knoll then looped back and up to Little Lenawee. We had planned to take a look at the top of North Pole trail but it was late and the short ski along the ridge looked a lot less inviting without snow and over the rocks so we returned the way we came.

Great Hike. Saw a deer on the way in. Blue-ish stream before the trailhead. Steady climb up. Great views and a few wildflowers here and there to decorate the trail. Rained hard on the way down but had a raincoat so it was fun :) Saw 2 hikers, 3 forest staff w chainsaws, and 1 mtn biker. Started at 9 a.m. done at about 12.

Drove to trailhead and hiked from there. No snow on trail. One stream with enough water for the dog to get a drink, but an easy crossing. Several mountain bikers riding down the trail.

More of a challenging moderate hike. I clocked in at 16 MILES round trip. The views are incredible, youre right in the valley so your sound ECHOES throughout the mountains, its really cool. Still light raining as of now (July 22, 2019). A RAIN JACKET and HAT will suit you well. The steepness requires a good amount of WATER, I'd say 2L to be safe. And theres definitely water on the trail in a few places so waterproof shoes or CHACOS would fit this trail perfectly. Account for an extra 1.6 MILES because you cant drive up to the trail head. So an EXTRA 3.2 mi round trip. You get the option to explore a few mines and old railroads so thats cool. And theres a bunch of wildflowers and plants around that appeal to your eyes with their vibrant colors. You get to experience more birds as you get to the top. Dont forget some MOSQUITO REPELLENT for when youre hiking the first half. Decending takes 2 hours, and hiking upwards could take from 4-6 hours depending on how focused you during the hike. I like to hammok, dance around, take breaks for views, and explore places so it took me a lot longer. Start in the early morning and expect to be there most of the day if you really want to explore everything there ❤ I loved this hike and so happy I got to spend all day on this mountain!! I highly recommend. Try to catch the sunset there, its gorgeous!!

Hiked on 7/14/19. Peru Creek Road still closed, but it's not a bad walk along the road to the trailhead, just adds about 1.7mi. When the road is open, it is do-able with 2WD vehicle and there is plenty of parking at the trailhead. Walking, you pass the site of the Maid of Orleans Mine (1882-1888) which was also the site of a modern home until a couple of years ago when an avalanche completely destroyed it. The trail was pleasant. A few wildflowers in the wooded parts, but lots of alpine wildflowers above treeline, which you achieve around mile 2.3. There's a nice rock outcropping with great views around mile 1.5.

Part of the road to this trail has been closed to vehicles which means you’ve got a couple miles on a gravel road to trek before you get to Lenawee. Once you do, it’s really a moderate and beautiful hike. The first part is mostly up. You pass lots of flowing water and wildlife. We saw a younger moose across one of the streams on the hike back. The view from the top was awesome.

Mon Sep 03 2018

This was a great hike. Straight up for the first hour. Views were amazing! 4 hour round trip with a few rest breaks.

Sat Sep 01 2018

I live in Summit County and this ranks up with one of my favorite hikes. I dont know why it was rated hard, definately moderate. Hiked from the trailhead over to Abasin and down to the Abasin parking lot. Highly recommend this trail.

Fri Aug 17 2018

We hiked partway up this trail on July 6. We got on this trail from Peru Creek, which is a gravel road. We hiked 2 miles up the road first- don't do that if you don't have to. We should've driven up and parked. The trail is steep at first, but travels through some interesting landscapes of pine, boulders, and an aspen grove. We only made it to the first viewpoint, a big bowl looking out over the reservoir and valley. Very worth it, though. Next time I'd like to make it above treeline. The only traffic we ran into was mountain bikers coming downhill from A-Basin. Some of the curves are pretty sharp, so keep an ear and an eye out for everyone's safety. Some footing was loose and dusty, so wear sturdy footwear.

Fri Aug 03 2018

My family hiked Lenawee again this week. Challenging trail but so worth the effort. Saw three other hikers while on the mountain.

Wed Sep 06 2017

Truly a 5 star trail. On a Wednesday afternoon in September, I literally had the entire trail to myself. One thing to note, I clocked it at more like 9 miles than the 7 miles listed.

Sat Aug 05 2017

This trail starts off very steep but tapers off a bit when you reach treeline. Didn't make it to the saddle, will have to go back to do that.

Sat Aug 05 2017

Trail begins off Peru Creek and travels through pines and aspens emerging on the shoulders of Lenawee Mountain. Above the tree line, the trail rises to the rock formations from which beautiful views of historic Montezuma, Dillon Lake and surrounding ranges can be viewed.

Sun Jul 02 2017

Steep at first. Leave in morning. Hike is 9 miles round trip if you go to top and cross over to A-basin. Saw mtn goats too.

Fri Jun 23 2017

We could only go a few miles in due to heavy snow covering the trail, past our knees in some areas. By there were incredible views and can't wait to go back later in the summer. The gate was also closed at he parking area off the road, so we had to walk 1.25 miles to the trail head. We did, however, see a moose grazing on our way back to the car.

recorded Lenawee Trail