Legault Mountain via Sunny Aspen, Old Ski Run and Lodge Pole Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(563)
Meyer Ranch Park

Legault Mountain via Sunny Aspen, Old Ski Run and Lodge Pole Loop is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Conifer, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,233 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Legault Mountain is a minor peak about 25 miles southwest of Denver. Much of the access to the peak is over a network of maintained trails in Meyer Ranch Park. The final 1/4 mile to the summit involves cross-country bushwhacking and optional, mild scrambling. While the approach is thickly forested, the foliage clears around the summit area, revealing nice views to the south and east, up the Turkey Creek drainage, and also to the west. Steep Berrian Mountain (9147') is a prominent landmark to the northwest.

I thought the trail was very pretty, but I didn't complete it because of the heavy highway noise.

Hike 5/31/20. Wonderful trail! We loved the mix of steep inclines and level trail. Hiked when it was raining and the trail did not get washed out and did not see too many areas with standing water. We will definitely be back to do this one again when it’s not rainy. Views when rainy were not that that great, but it is neat to see the valley below.

One of my favorite places to hike about. I was there weekly in the winter as it's so peaceful, and today I finally went all the way to the top. Glorious views!

Great trail, and seemed to be a bit of a “hidden gem” as I only say about 4 people. Though, I did go on a Forecasted rainy day so not sure if that usual. If you choose to go to the top of the mountain, please be careful when going down that you don’t loose the trail- I got a little lost for a second. Also you can hear the road for the first 4 miles which is a personal dislike. Fun and nice easy morning hike!

Trail is totally dry. I loved the nice walk in the woods. It's enough of an uphill to get a workout, and the last push to the top of the mountain is quite steep. Once you get to the "ski run" trail it's a loop, so watch out for the easy-to-miss spur that takes you to the top. Really pretty views, and not too crowded even for a Saturday morning. Most people were wearing masks and/or moved to distance - thank you!

I run this loop all the time, it’s one of my favorites but is barely over 4 miles not 5.2. Road noise subsides about halfway up.

Beautiful trail! Very unpopulated. Passed one person going up and had the whole summit to myself!

Just hiked this 5/5 around 3 pm and I barely saw anyone. I was alone all the way after the trail splits off and goes to the top (which gets a little confusing after that so I was glad I had the map). I had the summit to myself the entire time and only saw a couple of bikers on the way down. The views are awesome - you can see Pikes, Evans and Longs so it’s pretty great. Highly recommend

Nice moderate hike! We got there around 9 (on a Sunday) and it wasn't super crowded. But when we finished around 11 it was getting packed. Get there early!!

Great hike, pretty busy on Sunday .

icy

Great trail. Hiked on 4/25. There was a sign with COVID guidance which included wearing a mask. Park Ranger was in the parking lot. Little to no snow. I think you could get by without any spikes or crampons. When you are going around the loop at the top, make sure you don’t miss the trial to the peak. It isn’t marked by the park, but you will see two large sticks jutting out from the trail to form a path. The views from the top are amazing.

Hiked 4/21. Not too icy but still lots of snow, having spikes / traks definitely helped and were basically necessary towards the top. There's a bathroom along the trail before you get into the wooded area. Pretty gradual incline until the last half mile which gets steep. Great view at the top.

icy

Hiked 4.20. Started around 9 and basically had the trail to myself! It’s mostly shaded, so it’s icy/snowy/muddy the entire way. You can do without spikes up until the half way mark, and then you absolutely need them — ice the rest of the way. Restrooms are closed due to COVID.

Although this trail was heavily trafficked, there are half a dozen ways to hike it. The three forks allow you to choose the trail with less people. The previous comments about people missing the end of the trail are due to the trail being incorrectly labeled. The only way we found it was using the AllTrails gps/elevation profile tracker. Because there’s such great service almost all the way, this was super helpful! No need for flotation but we used spikes the whole hike. Plenty of parking and facilities were a little ways up from the lot.

icy

Have done this hike multiple times. Can't get over the number of people who miss the summit turnoff. Can see the very small loop towards end of hike. At the back of this loop, will see some downed logs making a little entrance. Summit is totally worth it. Trail is not marked up there and some have tried different approaches. Basically, just go straight. Keep the lower ridge rocks to your right and you will be fine. Walk until you get to edge of upper mountain. Will be well worth the effort!

icy

Not too steep, pretty icy in some spots, wear traction