Lefthand Canyon Trail

Lefthand Canyon Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and mountain biking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,758 feet Route Type: Loop

OHV area is now closed and there is no further motorized access. Hiking, biking, and dispersed camping is still available.

Well, this trail looks like it’s predominantly for dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. So in most places, it was wide, VERY washed out, and there were bullet holes in almost every signpost and trail marker YIKES! While I was nervous about being SHOT, I never heard a single gunfire - never saw a single motorized vehicle, and didn’t see a single person actually. The trail was wonderfully devoid of all humans. The views were great, and you walked through all kinds of terrain (open fields, steep trails, burn areas). It has the works. Parking was pretty tricky - I basically just found a spot on the side of the road and bushwhacked till I found the very well marked trail. Honestly, bullet holes and washed out trails won’t keep me off this trail again. I go out to be away from people, and this is the only trail I have been on in Boulder in 20 years that I did not see a single other human. Maybe I’ll check for hunting season though and wear bright orange...

Great hike with some well earned views. Keep an eye out for mountain bikers but had the trail basically to myself. If you take the loop clockwise you'll have better coverage on the ascent. Stick to the main trails and not what the app suggests a some points to avoid off trail "short cuts".

Great hike. Easy to follow on map. Lots to see.

Trail head not well marked but look for the national forest sigh. Couple turnouts for parking. Once I found it though, it opens up beautifully and you’re quickly out of earshot of the road. A riot of wildflowers and only a few others on the trail. Do look out for bikers. I’ll definitely be back to this one. Just minutes from Boulder.

Good close to Boulder. Moderate difficulty. Decent elevation gain. For anyone doubting there are big predators around here I saw a deer or elk skull attached to a full spine with not an iota of meat left on it and a large deer or elk hide not too far away. Much of the loop is too close to the road sight and/or noise-wise. Otherwise nice, pretty hike with few other people. Went yesterday, Sunday June 9, in the late morning.

My friend and I chose this hike because we wanted something that wasn’t crowded near Boulder and this hike did not disappoint. The trail starts right behind the National Forest sign so it’s easy to miss. We ended up ascending a slightly different route as we didn’t realize we needed to cross the creek and instead we up a fairly steep grassy-sparsely forested trail. The views from this trail were breathtaking as you look out over the National Forest. The trail is slightly washed out and rocky, but nothing too difficult to navigate. There were a few mountain bikers but the trail is easy to share.

I went for a hike with my dog here, and it was beautiful! There is only a small pull off “parking area” across from the trailhead, maybe big enough for 3 cars. There were lots of mountain bikers on the trail, but I got there at 9 am on a Saturday, and I saw very few people until I started my descent. Gorgeous views at the top!

private property

Was looking forward to getting to camp here on a beautiful day. We drove around for 3 hours trying to find the trail that takes you up to the actual area. We never found it and had to turn around. The area and drive however was absolutely beautiful and will definitely go back to explore some more.

Nice trail when there are no mountain bikers on it.

Monday, October 01, 2018

Trail is open for MTB and hikers although parking is tough.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

re open!

Monday, August 15, 2016

The trail is gone.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

went to go to the trail head just to find out it was washed away by the 2013 flood. As far as i know there is no other way onto the trail

Friday, May 25, 2012

If you live in the Denver metro area or in Boulder County, this trail is a must. With the gas prices these days, you can run this trail and still have over a half a tank when you're done. There is just enough for all skill levels and all trail equipped rigs. Even though I didn't take them, there are plenty of bypasses if you don't want to take a difficult line. It's not very muddy at all. Not very many puddles to splash in either. However, when you get to the top, it's a great place to stop and have lunch. This was my second trip through LHC and I plan on making more trail runs there. It's a fun, close and challenging trail.

Thursday, April 07, 2011

its where my off road fasination started

recorded Lefthand Canyon Trail