Lawn Lake Trail

Lawn Lake Trail is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, fishing, and horses and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

With the threat of snow we decided to give this a go. The early stages were steep with some switchbacks but it evened out, lulling us into a false sense of security! As we progressed further up, past some of the other trails, the snow started falling. As we got higher it got deeper until the last mile it was up to our knees! We persevered, mainly because we were following a trail runner's footsteps! We had seen him heading out as we did, so we thought if he could run it, we could surely walk it! However, he must be superhuman, or at least a world class athlete, as we found the last couple of miles horrific! The snow was getting deeper, and we had to take it in turns to lead! The wind was blowing the snow around and visibility was poor! We got to the lake and it was frozen with very little to see!!!! However, we felt a great sense of achievement! Needless to say we racticalky romped back down trail taking great delight as the snow got lighter. We were frightened half to death by 2 massive claps of thunder, and we were spurred on by the ever darkening sky!
We left car about 9.30am and got back there about 4pm- we did take a lot of breaks and selfies!
I can only imagine this is spectacular in the warmer weather, we did "enjoy" it though!! We don't often see snow as white, crisp, clean and deep as this so it was a great experience!

Nice trail. Switch backs at beginning were a bit of a challenge. Definitely doable though.

We went September 29, 2017. We came across all types of weather, sunshine rain and snow especially closer to Lawn Lake. After a mile and a half into the hike we only came across three other people. The scenery is beautiful and had a mixture of waterfalls, rivers and dense forest. I consider this hike moderate to difficult mostly due to the length. All trails report the length to be 13.2 miles. However my I watch reported 14.8 miles. Total time 6 hours.

First mile is the toughest, if you pass that test you should be fine the rest of the way. Plenty of switchbacks through the trees, gradual but not strenuous incline throughout the hike.

Fun hike, very few people at the trailhead 9/14 which was great. Lake is beautiful.

A little tiring for beginners like us. We started late and was told not recommended due to its difficulty and late start. But I and my wife ended up trying it, started at 1030am. It is a pretty stony trail especially towards the second half of the trail. Scenery is beautiful particularly the lake opens up at the end of the trail. It took us about 8 hours to finish the round trip including lunch and some water breaks. Despite the foot sore and knee pain, it is worth the view.

Great hike! The beginning is a lot of switchbacks and through the woods. The ascent didn't seem too difficult, and we rarely felt winded during it. We could be in the minority but from beginning to end we only saw 7-8 people total while on this trail. Past about the 2 mile mark we only saw a few people at Lawn Lake itself. I'd recommend continuing past Lawn Lake and adding the extra 1.5 mile hike to Crystal Lakes Trail as well. While on this hike we saw a fair amount of wildlife. Saw a couple marmots, a few deer and a moose at Lawn Lake. Overall a very beautiful and fun hike!

Took me from about 7am to 1:30pm to get from trailhead to Lawn Lake and back. I ran a lot of the way down. It gets crowded later in the day. Lawn Lake is worth the walk! Have lunch up there. There are a few brief steep uphill portions but otherwise it's a smooth incline. Currently horses are not allowed on this train due to reforestation/maintenance issues, according to the signs.

Hiked Sunday 8/6/17

The trail initially switchbacks then straightens along the side of a ridge with views of Horseshoe Park to the south and then levels for a couple miles along the banks of Roaring River before turning deeper into the forest and gradually climbing again on a rockier trail, later curving back nearer to the river before reaching Lawn Lake. It was nice to hear the sound of the water tumbling over the rocks for much of the hike. The trail is muddy in places but never deep, and was nearly entirely shaded during the morning’s ascent, but a few sections of the trail were sunny and warm in the afternoon on the way down. Along the trail, you can enjoy occasional views of the surrounding peaks, cascades along Roaring River, and the quiet of a dense forest. Lawn Lake itself is large and open and has a somewhat sandy shore—no scramble up to it or rocks to maneuver around to reach it. The trail not strenuous and we reached Lawn Lake in 2.25 hours, leaving the TH around 6:45 AM and arriving at 9:00 AM. We were the only ones at the lake at that time and encountered no others ascending the trail—only a few campers returning to the TH. We then continued onto The Saddle and Crystal Lakes (see respective AllTrails pages).

Did this hike with the entire family, kids 12 and 14. It is long, but the trail offers several great views of the river and mountains. Lawn Lake at the end does not disappoint.

Longer than we expected but it was a great hike overall. 70% of it is in the woods and there are many switchbacks. The entire way there is uphill, especially the first mile. But the view, oh the view. Lawn Lake is absolutely gorgeous, so happy we did this trail.
Set aside 6 hours for the hike (including a few stops and half hour lunch).

First one mile is straight up. Then you arrive at a stream in a canyon. You can have lunch at the stream and their is a bridge crossing it. Turned around at the 1.5 mile mark or so. Did not go to the end.

A beautiful and steady climb from the Lawn Lake trailhead guides you along the eastern bank of Roaring River through a series of varied alpine habitats. This hike maybe longer than other in the area but the climb is gradual and relatively easy most of the way allowing for a quick out and back or a leisurely day hike with great rewards. Aspen trees give way to older denser growth which helps keep this hike cool until you approach the more wide open spaces around Lawn Lake. Well worth the time to experience some picture perfect views without the crowds. Get to the trailhead early as it is usually full by 8 am on the weekends and swamped with people by 12. Happy Hiking!

Long, beautiful hike up to a gorgeous lake surrounded by 13ers. Very few people on the trail after about 4 miles. Only 2 other people at Lawn Lake. I continued on to the 3 Crystal Lakes. Should be noted that it's farther to those lakes than the app states. Is definitely worth going on for the views and wildlife. Pretty decent elevation gain but it's gradual throughout so it's not too bad if you are acclimated to the altitude. If not, wouldn't recommend going past Lawn Lake. Still quite a bit of snow after Lawn Lake and trail pretty over grown with shrubs and very wet. Got sleeted/snowed on. Total round trip was 16.5 miles but great

If you want peaceful solitude and a trail all to yourself, then take this hike. Lawn Lake is truly worth the effort. I started about 6:45 am and was very comfortable, but by the time I was headed back down, it had become quite hot. An absolutely beautiful trail. Ypsilon Lake was my other favorite.

Great hike! One of my fondest memories with my Dad!

It was a little more difficult than expecting due to the amount of snow. We pushed through and made it to the lake and camped even though the camp grounds was covered in snow. Even with high winds it was more than worth the effort for the morning fishing which was EXCELLENT

Went a few days ago, good hike lots of up hill and plenty of views. Couldn't finish without snowshoes. The trail pretty much ended into snow the last mile so I didn't make it to the lake. Everyone had bear spray but me, time to invest!

I didnt do the entire trail all the way to the lake. I went until about halfway. The trail winds through the forest, up the mountain and along the river. It is very beautiful and i definately want to come back to do the entire trail.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Gorgeous trail. Not steep but long. Nice back country. Quiet and peaceful. Not very many people on it even in peak summer. Caution, this is bear country.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Just barely made it before sun down, but got a beautiful view of the lake. I recommend leaving early and incorporating The Saddle Trail, which starts at the end of Lawn Lake, and goes up to a meadow almost directly below Mummy and Fairchild Mountain, as well as Hagues Peak.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Amazing hike with the fall colors and cool big creek you hike along. Was very dramatic! We didn't go all the way but it was a fun time.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

My wife and I did this trail but went to Ypsilon lake which was not quite as far as Lawn Lake. It was a 9 mile round trip. Moderate. The lake was beautifully.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

loved this hike. great views at the end. moderate is appropriate rating.. gentle incline most of the way. took a group of 3 of us about 6.5 hours total (all of us at different fitness levels) . Beautiful and worth it.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

this. hurts. it's is long. it is steep. it shows up on RMNP map ad a trail....with descriptions on attitude or lengthy, not. Go at your own risk knowing it took 7 hrs for a fit person. Strenuous, rocky, "take the next day off" like D of hike. Do Not Recommend.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Took the 6.3 mile hike up to Lawn Lake to fish for a bit. The trail is well groomed and seemed to get nicer the further I went. It is a steady climb, but well worth the effort as Lawn Lake is full of eager Greenbacks. Lot's of surface activity and the fish were beautiful. I caught probably 20 fish in just less than 2 hours. A hit on nearly every cast. They were not very picky!

Friday, July 22, 2016

We hiked this today but continued past Lawn Lake up to Crystal Lake. This is a beautiful trail. The trail wasn't too steep or difficult and it followed along the river and dipped into lush green forested areas as well. No snow at all on the trail today. Loved that the traffic was low. I was wearing my GPS watch and distance from the trailhead to Lawn Lake was about 6.4 miles. If you wander around the lake at all, this is easily a 13 mile round trip hike.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Delightful. We arrived at 10:30 and hiked back 4 miles. The scenery was great and evidence of the 2013 flood was powerful. The trail is mostly gentle but we had several opportunities to be thankful for our poles. Trail traffic was pleasantly low.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

This is a pretty long hike but not too technical nor too steep. Footing was good and trail was easy to follow. Scenery was great and the river/waterfall you skirt most of the way up was impressive. We went on 10 June and much tour chagrin, the last mile of the trail was covered in snow that you could not go around. We slogged through at least 2/3rds of the stuff, falling through the snow up to our knees and even hips at some points. Probably 1/3 mile from the lake we were soaked with our boots filled with snow and ice and chose to turn around prior to reaching the lake. Bummer. Regardless, this is a great hike if you are good with the milage you should go!! I think we did what we did in like 6 1/2 hours. Beautiful all of the way up. We will do it again!