Lawn Lake Trail is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The first trail I ever did in Colorado. Review is for a summer hike. Steady climb with a good amount of privacy for such a busy park. It can seem long. Saw a lot of people coming up to backpack and stay the night before heading back down. Flies were a pest, but the beauty of the nature is more than a remedy to their peskiness.

Great trail. A lot of switch backs that make the climb fast yet steady. Elevation wise it got tough for me around the last mile. Very sluggish but worth it. Even had some snow which made it even prettier.

Actually 14 miles. Steady incline. Same views for most of the hike otherwise it would be higher rated. I like variety. Lots and lots of switchbacks!

Great hike. quiet and not too many hikers

Great trail. We hiked in and camped at Lawn Lake Campground. Had the lake to ourselves. Didn’t see many hikers on this hike because of the length. It’s a tough hike if you’re not acclimated. The breathing gets harder at 11,000 ft. Approx 18 Long switchbacks up. The elevation gain is rapid and rocky. Overall, it was amazing and a breathtaking adventure.

Terrific hike. Best I've done in the RMNP area. Not too strenuous on this longish trail, so you can get the distance in, which makes it a real hike. Once you get away from the half milers as I call them the trail is very quiet. Rewarded with views as soon as trail starts and this continues. Even in wooded areas everything seems open and light. Go for it you won't be sorry.

I hiked this trail past Lawn Lake up to Crystal Lake on 8/25 and really enjoyed it. It was by far the least crowded trail I've hiked in the park which was a really nice change of pace, I only saw maybe 5 people on the way up. It's an incline the whole way but it never gets very steep up you're past Lawn Lake. The views were great and both lakes were amazing. I'll be doing this one again, ideally camping at Lawn Lake.

One of the more underrated RMNP trails in my opinion. Mild ascent the entire 6.5mi to the lake with some moderate sections thrown in. The majority of the hike is under tree cover until 1.5-2mi from Lawn lake. Exposure is not too much of a concern until you reach the lake and even then you have ample forest around you a couple hundred yards from the lake. Not a heavily trafficked trail as I saw less than 10 people over the course of 13.9 miles in 7hrs. That included photo/snack breaks and fly fishing at Lawn lake and on the Roaring River. The hike runs along the Roaring river most of the way which IMO makes it more enjoyable. Will definitely overnight hike in the next time I do it as I would have preferred to stay for an extra day to explore the area up top.

Gorgeous trail!! It was lawn hike but 100% worth it!

We did this hike spur of the moment. everywhere else rates this hike 12.5 to 13 miles round trip. it's a pretty easy grade the whole way. once you get there you are glad you did. its stunningly beautiful. I wish now I would of scheduled camping and stayed a day or two. definitely reccomend, just make sure you are prepared for a good 4-6 hours round trip. That's if you are moving at a good rate without breaks.

Great day hike. Didn’t have the map with. Could have used more markings for how far you where from the lake

okay just got this app but I hike very often and want to warn people of this crazy deee that wonders around and scared me and some friends while sleeping and would follow us around. so FYI. it was two years ago but he is getting more famous or she idk

Great day hike and an even better over night backpacking trip. We stayed at the golden banner campsite which was secluded and still very well maintained. We even had a massive moose come visit us. Overall I recommend.

I thought it was easy in terms of slope and technicality. It’s just long. There’s a lot of tree coverage and I didn’t even need sunscreen (until around 11am). There’s also a lot of DEAD tree coverage so pay attention to your surroundings and remember fire safety.

Beautiful hike, it’s a longer one but the trail for the most part is easy walking with the exception of snow during the last mile. Definitely will do this one again!

Great day trip. 90%of trail is completely clear except for some slushy snow fields at the end. Which as a heavy guy, is pretty irritating

Great hike up to Lawn Lake today! Last mile in soft and deep snow but totally doable. We completed in 6.5 hours incl breaks.

We hiked up to lawn lake yesterday. What a beautiful hike but still tons of snow the last two miles. Thankfully, poles were a necessity. Wait a few more weeks for it to melt if you don’t want to trek through a foot of snow.

Lawn Lake is an outstanding hike. The views are incredible including the Alluvial Fan and high mountain lakes including Lawn. We backpacked and set up camp at the top and had a great time. The stars seen at night are incredible. I’ll be doing this one again soon. Hiked in July 2017...

This was the 3rd time I've done the Lawn Lake hike, with the most recent time being close to 20 years ago. What an adventure it was! We started up the trail at 5:15 a.m. on Sunday morning (5/6/18). The trail was mostly dry until around the 3 mile mark. At that point we stopped and put on our Yak Tracks because we kept sliding sideways down the slope of the mountain. Deep snow for the rest of the way with lots of post holing up to waist deep in spots. In the morning the snow was still mostly frozen so we were able to walk in other tracks without sinking much. The tracks started getting fewer and fewer about 4 miles in. At the beginning of the last set of switch backs the tracks that we were following went off trail and just bee lined upwards next to the river. We followed those tracks for another half mile or so before they disappeared and made our own tracks the rest of the way. This was by far the most difficult part of the trail. Using the AllTrails app w/gps we were able to stay relatively close to the trail, but there are spots where it just wasn't possible to stay on it. We encountered 5-6 foot drifts that we had to find our way around. The last 2-2.5 miles to the lake took us over 2 hours, but we made it (got there around 11 a.m.). We went about 1/4 mile beyond the ranger cabin and just skirted the bottom of the treeline next to what would be the lake shore if it wasn't snowed/frozen over. We found a big rock sticking out of the snow, ate lunch, drained the water from our boots, took in the amazing view and started the wet sloppy trek back down 45 minutes later. It looked like we were the first ones that had made it up that far in a while, as there were no other tracks anywhere that we saw. Snow shoes for the last 1.5 miles would have been ideal, but we still made it work. Made it from the lake back to the trail head in about 3.5 hours. Once you get below where the snow covers the trail it is pretty wet and sloppy. Bring an extra pair of socks/shoes to change into once you get back to the bottom. We'll be back again this summer once the snow melts so that we can go to the top of Mount Fairchild.

Definitely a tough hike right now!! About two miles from the trailhead everything turns into an icy slush. I used spikes but it was still very difficult to keep traction. I made it about a 1 mile away from the lake and the trail disappears. There were about 3 foot snow drifts up there, even with snow shoes it would be difficult. I still got to see some amazing views and will be back once the snow clears out.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

With the threat of snow we decided to give this a go. The early stages were steep with some switchbacks but it evened out, lulling us into a false sense of security! As we progressed further up, past some of the other trails, the snow started falling. As we got higher it got deeper until the last mile it was up to our knees! We persevered, mainly because we were following a trail runner's footsteps! We had seen him heading out as we did, so we thought if he could run it, we could surely walk it! However, he must be superhuman, or at least a world class athlete, as we found the last couple of miles horrific! The snow was getting deeper, and we had to take it in turns to lead! The wind was blowing the snow around and visibility was poor! We got to the lake and it was frozen with very little to see!!!! However, we felt a great sense of achievement! Needless to say we racticalky romped back down trail taking great delight as the snow got lighter. We were frightened half to death by 2 massive claps of thunder, and we were spurred on by the ever darkening sky!
We left car about 9.30am and got back there about 4pm- we did take a lot of breaks and selfies!
I can only imagine this is spectacular in the warmer weather, we did "enjoy" it though!! We don't often see snow as white, crisp, clean and deep as this so it was a great experience!

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Nice trail. Switch backs at beginning were a bit of a challenge. Definitely doable though.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

We went September 29, 2017. We came across all types of weather, sunshine rain and snow especially closer to Lawn Lake. After a mile and a half into the hike we only came across three other people. The scenery is beautiful and had a mixture of waterfalls, rivers and dense forest. I consider this hike moderate to difficult mostly due to the length. All trails report the length to be 13.2 miles. However my I watch reported 14.8 miles. Total time 6 hours.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

First mile is the toughest, if you pass that test you should be fine the rest of the way. Plenty of switchbacks through the trees, gradual but not strenuous incline throughout the hike.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Fun hike, very few people at the trailhead 9/14 which was great. Lake is beautiful.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

A little tiring for beginners like us. We started late and was told not recommended due to its difficulty and late start. But I and my wife ended up trying it, started at 1030am. It is a pretty stony trail especially towards the second half of the trail. Scenery is beautiful particularly the lake opens up at the end of the trail. It took us about 8 hours to finish the round trip including lunch and some water breaks. Despite the foot sore and knee pain, it is worth the view.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Great hike! The beginning is a lot of switchbacks and through the woods. The ascent didn't seem too difficult, and we rarely felt winded during it. We could be in the minority but from beginning to end we only saw 7-8 people total while on this trail. Past about the 2 mile mark we only saw a few people at Lawn Lake itself. I'd recommend continuing past Lawn Lake and adding the extra 1.5 mile hike to Crystal Lakes Trail as well. While on this hike we saw a fair amount of wildlife. Saw a couple marmots, a few deer and a moose at Lawn Lake. Overall a very beautiful and fun hike!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Took me from about 7am to 1:30pm to get from trailhead to Lawn Lake and back. I ran a lot of the way down. It gets crowded later in the day. Lawn Lake is worth the walk! Have lunch up there. There are a few brief steep uphill portions but otherwise it's a smooth incline. Currently horses are not allowed on this train due to reforestation/maintenance issues, according to the signs.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Hiked Sunday 8/6/17

The trail initially switchbacks then straightens along the side of a ridge with views of Horseshoe Park to the south and then levels for a couple miles along the banks of Roaring River before turning deeper into the forest and gradually climbing again on a rockier trail, later curving back nearer to the river before reaching Lawn Lake. It was nice to hear the sound of the water tumbling over the rocks for much of the hike. The trail is muddy in places but never deep, and was nearly entirely shaded during the morning’s ascent, but a few sections of the trail were sunny and warm in the afternoon on the way down. Along the trail, you can enjoy occasional views of the surrounding peaks, cascades along Roaring River, and the quiet of a dense forest. Lawn Lake itself is large and open and has a somewhat sandy shore—no scramble up to it or rocks to maneuver around to reach it. The trail not strenuous and we reached Lawn Lake in 2.25 hours, leaving the TH around 6:45 AM and arriving at 9:00 AM. We were the only ones at the lake at that time and encountered no others ascending the trail—only a few campers returning to the TH. We then continued onto The Saddle and Crystal Lakes (see respective AllTrails pages).