Lakes of the Clouds Alternate Route

Lakes of the Clouds Alternate Route is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Westcliffe, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A really cool trail and an awesome place to go backpacking. Stay there a few nights and go to each of the three lakes.

Just did this trail. It’s pretty rugged I’m talking very rocky areas all throughout that will give your feet, ankles and legs a huge workout. The snow is melting fast and there’s a lot of run off. The snow mounds that remain are deep I’ve slipped into a few and the snow went past my knees and there was a broken tree hidden inside one which gave me a nasty scratch about two inch cut on my lower leg. So be careful!! The trail is also unkept, fallen trees liter the path forcing you to find creative ways around them. But that view at the end. My god. Amazing.

So beautiful! We did this hike in November and the frozen waterfalls were awesome!

epic trail, the lakes area is incredible. some snow at the peaks. colors of autumn, saw 2 bull elk near beginning.

Beautiful scenery, and I guess "moderate" is accurate, but they didn't give it that rating with 62 year old guys in mind. Consistent climb over rocky terrain and easy to miss the trail on the downhill leg. Trail marker at base of Rainbow Trail by my gps and my body was totally in accurate. From Gibson trail head, this is a 9-10 mile round trip.

First backpacking trip and was amazing.

In June had some mounds of snow in the area which came in handy for beverages :)

Had a few nice camping spots near each of the lakes.

Highly recommend.