Lake Isabelle Trail

Lake Isabelle Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$10 entrance fee, cash only.

You can only walk along the road right now and can make it to Brainard lake. Going all the way to lake Isabelle will require snow shoes, skies and other gear. Still a very pretty hike though!

In early May we couldn't make it up to Lake Isabelle by foot because the road is blocked off for snow about 2 miles before parking for the Lake Isabelle hike. But I'm the Summer hiking to Lake Isabelle is a delight. We did however hike along the closed road and it was still beautiful and peaceful. The snow along the closed road was shoveled to the side and we saw lots of chipmunks, blue birds, woodpeckers, a bunny, squirrels, deer traces and partially frozen lakes.

Really beautiful!

Spectacular views throughout in late fall. Great for mixed groups that don't have much trail experience. CU students, take your parents!

What a great hike! One of the best near Rocky Mountain NP. But be sure to get there VERY early to secure a parking space! Very limited! That was last August.

Very hard to hike without snowshoes and the trails are hard to follow in deep snow. The road up to lake brainard which is marked as the trailhead, is blocked and causes a 2 mile hike up to the "trailhead" overall still a pretty hike

Much like Allison below, we had to start at the Winter Trailhead, which I believe closes on Apr 30th. FYI, there's a warming hut and pit toilets there, no trash service. The winter TH is located where the SOURDOUGH trail and BRAINARD LAKE RD intersect. After about three miles on the Brained snowshoe trail we reached Brainard Lake and the TH for Isabelle Lake. By that time, we already getting tired of trudging through snow and were content with our views, so decided to turn around. We took Brainard Lake RD back and our total mileage was 5.7 miles and 400ft of elevation gain.

* I would recommend snowshoes at this time, there was some post-holing in spots. Especially with the new snow. Although, it is packed down enough in most spots to make hiking possible, it does take a little more energy.

I took some wrong turns so it added some milage, but I hiked by myself with my two dogs and they loved it! The scenery was fantastic! I used just hiking boots, but it might be smart to bring snowshoes. Definitely get there early! Even in the winter! I got there around 830 and there were about 10 cars, but by the time I got back the lot was almost full!
Another thing that might help with others that possibly come across the same issue I did: to get to the trailhead of Lake Isabelle in the winter you obviously have to hike to Brainard lake, but once you get there you pass the lake on either side and follow the only sign there is to other lakes ( I unfortunately cannot remember their names, Isabelle is not listed on this sign). From there you will be able to access the trailhead.

This is the most beautiful hike I have ever completed. As others have mentioned, the parking lot fills and it adds exta to the hike. We hiked it from the Niwot parking lot and took the Niwot Cutoff Trail. This is an easy hike, but it is a little rockies than other trails I have hikes also rated as easy. I had a recent trip ankle sprain and carried too much photo gear, thus increasing the difficulty of the hike for me, personally, but still found it rewarding. This is a heavily traveled trail and one my dog enjoyed, with ample places to get a drink and cool off along the way. I absolutely want to do this again.

this is one of the most beautiful hikes we've been on since moving to Colorado. elevation gains are minimal, so you won't hate your life while you're going there like other nearby trails

Ended up walking 13 miles because the parking lot was closed but worth every step!

Hiked on 10/15. Great, easy trail. If your not there early plan on parking in the main day use area adding An extra 1-1.5mi each way to your hike. Some wet/slushy snow areas but nothing a good pair of boots can't handle. -we did not need traction. Stunning views of surrounding 13ers! *note* lakes Isabelle is drained 80% every July so the lake is very very low, still pretty none the less.