Lake Isabelle Trail [ROAD CLOSED]

Lake Isabelle Trail [ROAD CLOSED] is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$11 entrance fee, cash only.

Road won't reopen until July 2018. See here: https://www.bouldercounty.org/transportation/plans-and-projects/brainard-road/

I’ve done this hike before and i like it a lot. Does anybody know when the road will reopen?

Great hike with beautiful views, clean air, and the lake at the end is beautiful!

Did this hike at the end of June with no research on the trail whatsoever. We were simply exploring and happened to find a trail. We hiked all the way to Lake Isabelle before turning around (started late in the day). The trail is very well maintained. There was some snow around the 10,000 foot mark, and some rock scrambling near the end. On our way up we saw a waterfall coming out from a mound of snow and ice high up. We didn't realize until we got to the lake that it seemed to be coming from the lake. The lake itself is serene and beautiful. We were the only ones there. Hike was fairly easy and we would love to do it again maye this time going a little bit further.

The road to the trailhead is currently closed for construction. I would not recommend until it reopens as it will add miles of pavement hiking.

Gorgeous winter hike. Tough with the extra mileage due to the road closure. Definitely bring snow shoes.

My favorite trail! So much beauty.

One of my favorite trails! I wish I had more time to explore. Will come back again for sure!!

We did almost 11 miles hike to Lake Isabelle from entrance. Road is closed leading to the trailhead. You will have to park at winter parking lot by the side of entrance booth. That adds almost 5-6 miles to the Long Lake Trailhead, depending on if you take the road or take side trails. I didn't have microspike, and had to be careful with icy conditions, was not too bad. But I would recommend getting Microspike. We started from Parking lot at 6:45 in the morning, and we were back by 1PM. Lake Isablle is mostly drained, frozen remains at the center. It was very windy and chilly so please prepare yourself for the weather. Saw Frozen Long Lake, Frozen Brainard Recreation area on our way up. Views are very gorgeous. We didn't find anyone going on the trail when were were going up, maybe because we were early. But saw few people ascending when we were descending.

Especially gorgeous hike right now with all the snowfall. From the parking lot round trip my iPhone recorded an 11.5 mile trip. Make sure you bring plenty of warm gear and wear gaiters!

Freakin awesome once you get there.

So awesome. This was the first hike I did after moving to Colorado. Was perfectly suited for someone not used to the altitude and was absolutely gorgeous!

Gorgeous hike! FYI the road to the nearest parking lot is closed, so that adds about 4 miles on to the total distance. Parts of the trail were icy but we managed without any extra gear. Beautiful at the top!

Such a beautiful and easy hike! Loved every second of it. First time visiting Colorado and this hike is now my top I’ve done! Loved the snow on the ground and perfect weather!

Beautiful

Beautiful / not overly difficult, plenty of variation. Loved it!

We didn't actually make it there because the road is closed to get to the trailhead. It's an extra 2 mile walk down the road if you want to get here now

Vehicle used to access the trail:
Kia sorrento front-wheel drive
Footwear:
Timberland work boots & Nike running shoes
Child carrier:
ErgoBaby 360° backpack 25lb
Fee:
$11 (no state park pass)
We have done this trail before in the summer. This time we took my mother-in-law out and started the trail at 8:30am.
The parking lot at the trailhead was almost empty when we arrived, previously we hadn't been able to get a spot because it's much busier in the summer.
The trail was covered in snow and very icy. It was a slow and steady hike, I believe the temperature was in the low 30's.
We cut the trail short and stuck to walk g around the lake but it was still beautiful!! roughly 2.5miles and took us just under 2hours to complete due to the tricky ice. Next time we will use spikes or poles to steady ourselves.
Even with the ice it was a great trail, little to no sun on the trail the whole time which added to the cold but for a first timer like my mother-in-law it was great. She really enjoyed it and the views of the lake were worth the cold!!!

Perfect for a quick day hike. Took us 2-3 hours including our picnic at the lake and a decent amount of stopping for gorgeous views and awesome pics. Definitely got winded here and there but we were not quite ready for the elevation!! Went in October and it was definitely slushy and icy on the shaded parts of the trail but so worth it for the views of the mountain peaks and Lake Isabelle.

About 80% of the trail was ice/slush/mud and my dog was filthy, but the view from the lake is SO worth it! Just be careful with the ice. The mountains were snowy and beautiful, and you could see them throughout most of the trail! And by the way, the Long Lake parking lot is where the trailhead is- it took me awhile to figure that out.

One of my favorite hikes. Great for taking visiting friends and family since it includes lake and pond views, waterfalls, wildflowers, foot path bridges, and snow!

First hike ever and so glad we chose this trail. We went just after 6-8" snow came through and weren't expecting it but trekked on. Amazing winter views and decent hike for a beginner. Can't wait to see it in summer!

About half of the trail was icy/packed snow. Yaktrax were incredibly helpful. Lake Isabelle has been drained down pretty low but has not frozen over yet. The TH for Long Lake usually closes in mid-October, so get there soon to avoid hiking in from further parking lots.

Easy out and back, hiked oct 1, 2017. It had snowed 2' the night before so the trail was very sloshy but still easy to navigate. Parking isn't plentiful, we had to walk from a lot that was almost a mile away.

If you’re here during the right season (summer into early fall) the reservoir is great - lake Isabelle is not actually a lake but a reservoir, so it drains in the fall. Usually by September. this is an easy out and back hike with minimal elevation change and inclination. Great for kids and families and dogs. Minimal trailhead parking, get to the site early or you’ll have to park down by brainard lake and walk a mile to the trail head.

This hike is always my favorite. So easy and so very standard. Prepare to pay $11 up front. I did wild bird feeding (natural food of course). The lake was very dry at this time of the year, I even walked to the middle of the lake where there were some giant rocks in the center and felt like John Snow and crew with white walkers surrounding 360•

great, easy hike but get there early if you want to park near the trailhead. views at the lake are gorgeous.

Absolutely stunning! And an easy hike too with little incline! Very enjoyable :D

Gorgeous trail and not much elevation change (until the end). Relatively easy hike! We went in the afternoon and unfortunately thunder/lightning/sleet started on our final ascent to the top so we had to turn around. Will do it again! It is annoying you have to wait to get into the area and pay $11 to park your car. We parked at the furthest lot per the parking attendants instructions and it added another 1-2.5 miles to the hike since we started at a weird spot. Otherwise no complaints!