Lake Haiyaha

Lake Haiyaha is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

partially paved

If you can get off the beaten path in this area of Rocky, this is pretty close. Join up with hikes to other lakes and make a day of it. Beautiful!

Hiked 12/3. The hike from bear lake to dream lake is our favorite in the park, regardless of the season. Today was no exception. We took snowshoes with and used them the whole time. The hike from the parking lot to dream lake could be easily done with micro spikes. From there to lake Haiyaha will require snowshoes in its current state. Less traffic on this trail and recent snow makes it loose, narrow and uneven in a lot of places. You’ll have to stay tight and inside in a lot of places to keep from sinking a falling down the ridge.

With caution, it’s very doable. We are not super experienced in snowy mountains and managed just fine. It’s worth the trip.

Nice moderate hike. The snow on the trail is well packed, microspikes were nice but not needed. Any travel off of the main trail (even by 1 foot) will need snowshoes.

Absolutely beautiful hike! It was definitely cold and snowy, so I would recommend micro spikes or at least chains for snow boots. At points closer to the lake, the trail would almost disappear in the snow drifts, and the rocks by the lake were very slippery.

If the weather was a little better, I would definitely give this hike 5 stars!

I got to Bear Lake trailhead at 8am Sunday. Very few cars. I had the whole trail to myself pretty much. I did Emerald Lake and then on the way back turned and headed to Lake Haiyaha. I'm glad I did because it was the best part. Its steeper and harder then Bear Lake trail. At the end there are a bunch of boulders to scramble over to get to the lake. Be careful, I fell, snow is deep and make sure you know how to get back to the trail. Its not as easy as it looks. Really incredible. Wear traction. Wear traction. When I came down the whole lot was full and there was a mile long line of cars trying to get in but they were routed to the visitor center.

Great hike even when some snow cover is present. Did this Black Friday of 2017 and at that time of year, plenty of snow was on the trail. The first half of the trail, the snow will be packed from the heavy usage of snowshoers going to the closer lakes, but the final leg to Lake Haiyaha can be much deeper and looser. Did fine running in trail running shoes with Yaktrax, but almost everyone else was in snowshoes. Saw only one set of prints headed up the final leg on a holiday afternoon in late November. Very beautiful in the cold time of year.

Great hike with varying elevation gains and flats. As of 10/13/2018... I would recommend yak tracks. It’s very slippery and icy in the shade which is the majority of this hike

beautiful views on this hike. forests kept us cool.

Went to Lake Haiyaha after Timberline Falls. Had some decent inclines to traverse. The lake is pretty remote, requiring you to walk on boulders in order to gain access the the waterfront. I did get a bit turned around heading back, again, because you’re walking on boulders near the lake’s edge, there isn’t much of a trail to follow. Beautiful lake though!

It was a beautiful lake, and the hike iwith some elevation. Tour the end you have to climb some boulder to get to the lake edge.

the lake is very remote, toward the end ,you have to hike through some boulders to see the lake

Lovely hike. Lake is beautiful.
Be patient if it is busy- the number of people lessens after a mile.

Saw a bull moose on this trail and wonderful views go in the fall !

Easy hike from Bear Lake. Amazing views along the way.

Beautiful hike. Well worth it!

Beautiful hike! The aspens are starting to change which made for good sight seeing and of course it’s rutting season, so lots of wildlife in the park. Crowded on the weekend but that’s always to be expected.

We did this hike today from Bear Lake. Lots of pedestrian traffic on the way up. The lake is beautiful. Had to climb over lots of rocks for an older couple, but worth it. Took the trail over to the MillsLake:/Loch trail and down to Alberta Falls. A great loop hike!

We did this hike on the way back from Emerald Lake, and it was a great add on. To do it on it's own would not be as good as Emerald Lake, which is along the shore of Dream Lake all the way and so is scenic for pretty much the entire hike. That said, I really liked Lake Haiyaha. It's different and I think even a little bit prettier than Emerald Lake. And if you do it on the way back from Emerald Lake it gives you a nice little 5 mile hike that is really fun and beautiful.

Did this just a year ago and it was the perfect hike to get used to the elevation. Great views at the top.

Great views of Longs along the climb up. Make sure you navigate through the rocks to the best views of the lake!

Pretty light traffic on a Tuesday morning, saw only a few people once we took the split after nymph lake. Not the most fun of hikes but super easy and quick did it in just under two hours with a nice snack break at the lake. Switchbacks are shaded, and it’s a nice forest feel!

Lake Haiyaha is simply breath taking. We chose to head to Dream and Emerald Lakes first as our hiking friend had never been. We then back tracked up to Lake Haiyaha. The trail is well marked and can be a bit rocky. You will come across the 1st pond but this is not the prize, continue on up to the actual lake, you will not be disappointed. Climb over the boulders and let yours eyes soak up the beautiful colors of the lake. Would love to hike again.

Loved it! The view was gorgeous. I didn’t read many reviews but was caught off guard at the big boulders that had to be climbed to view the lake.

We got to the Bear Lake trailhead at around 7am on a Thursday and the parking lot was about half full, but with cars streaming in. The hike to Lake Haiyiha was beautiful and generally well shaded. They weren't a ton of other hikers on the trail. Instead of backtracking, we hiked over to Mills Lake then retuned by Glacier Creek Trail. The Glacier Creek Trail was a mass of humanity, mostly going the opposite direction, so we had to stop a lot. It was also the only part of the trail with little shade. Frankly, we just tried to power through this section to get back to Bear Lake.

We decided at the last minute to add this trail after going to Emerald Lake. The first part is a rocky, steep incline that leads to a switchback. Not long after the switchback are some gorgeous Mountain views. The sun was going down and hitting the mountains perfectly. The lake is about another mile from here. You have to do a bit of a boulder scramble to see the lake, but it’s worth it!

really gorgeous destination. the lower trails were crowded with obnoxious tourists who were violating protected restoration spaces and picking flowers (in a national park, smdh). once we got through the crowds and up into the trail that takes you explicitly to lake haiyaha, it was a really nice hike. definitely worth it.

Beautiful hike with great streams along the way to the lake.

Excelllent hike. Highly recommend adding the side trip to Dream Lake. At the intersection with the Glacier Gorge Trail, we had a close meeting with a bull moose. Parking is limited. The shuttle from the Park n Ride (4 miles before Bear Lake), is the way to go. Buses run every 15 minutes.

This may be my favorite lake hike i've done so far in Estes. While loch lake is beautiful, it has a lot mores switchbacks on the ridge in the sun. Haiyaha is more covered and has less people. The hike has a little bit of everything and you get a great view of the park on the way up. Took me about an hour and a half to get up with some boulder climbing at the end. I'd highly recommend!

Very nice hike. Beautiful lake with big rocks to climb over at the end. Had lunch there and took in the awesome views. Look for the old gnarled bristlecone pine there - a very unique tree. We continued on to Black Lake.