Lake Haiyaha

Lake Haiyaha is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November.

Lovely hike. Lake is beautiful.
Be patient if it is busy- the number of people lessens after a mile.

Saw a bull moose on this trail and wonderful views go in the fall !

Easy hike from Bear Lake. Amazing views along the way.

Beautiful hike. Well worth it!

Beautiful hike! The aspens are starting to change which made for good sight seeing and of course it’s rutting season, so lots of wildlife in the park. Crowded on the weekend but that’s always to be expected.

We did this hike today from Bear Lake. Lots of pedestrian traffic on the way up. The lake is beautiful. Had to climb over lots of rocks for an older couple, but worth it. Took the trail over to the MillsLake:/Loch trail and down to Alberta Falls. A great loop hike!

We did this hike on the way back from Emerald Lake, and it was a great add on. To do it on it's own would not be as good as Emerald Lake, which is along the shore of Dream Lake all the way and so is scenic for pretty much the entire hike. That said, I really liked Lake Haiyaha. It's different and I think even a little bit prettier than Emerald Lake. And if you do it on the way back from Emerald Lake it gives you a nice little 5 mile hike that is really fun and beautiful.

Did this just a year ago and it was the perfect hike to get used to the elevation. Great views at the top.

Great views of Longs along the climb up. Make sure you navigate through the rocks to the best views of the lake!

Pretty light traffic on a Tuesday morning, saw only a few people once we took the split after nymph lake. Not the most fun of hikes but super easy and quick did it in just under two hours with a nice snack break at the lake. Switchbacks are shaded, and it’s a nice forest feel!

Lake Haiyaha is simply breath taking. We chose to head to Dream and Emerald Lakes first as our hiking friend had never been. We then back tracked up to Lake Haiyaha. The trail is well marked and can be a bit rocky. You will come across the 1st pond but this is not the prize, continue on up to the actual lake, you will not be disappointed. Climb over the boulders and let yours eyes soak up the beautiful colors of the lake. Would love to hike again.

Loved it! The view was gorgeous. I didn’t read many reviews but was caught off guard at the big boulders that had to be climbed to view the lake.

We got to the Bear Lake trailhead at around 7am on a Thursday and the parking lot was about half full, but with cars streaming in. The hike to Lake Haiyiha was beautiful and generally well shaded. They weren't a ton of other hikers on the trail. Instead of backtracking, we hiked over to Mills Lake then retuned by Glacier Creek Trail. The Glacier Creek Trail was a mass of humanity, mostly going the opposite direction, so we had to stop a lot. It was also the only part of the trail with little shade. Frankly, we just tried to power through this section to get back to Bear Lake.

We decided at the last minute to add this trail after going to Emerald Lake. The first part is a rocky, steep incline that leads to a switchback. Not long after the switchback are some gorgeous Mountain views. The sun was going down and hitting the mountains perfectly. The lake is about another mile from here. You have to do a bit of a boulder scramble to see the lake, but it’s worth it!

really gorgeous destination. the lower trails were crowded with obnoxious tourists who were violating protected restoration spaces and picking flowers (in a national park, smdh). once we got through the crowds and up into the trail that takes you explicitly to lake haiyaha, it was a really nice hike. definitely worth it.

Beautiful hike with great streams along the way to the lake.

Excelllent hike. Highly recommend adding the side trip to Dream Lake. At the intersection with the Glacier Gorge Trail, we had a close meeting with a bull moose. Parking is limited. The shuttle from the Park n Ride (4 miles before Bear Lake), is the way to go. Buses run every 15 minutes.

This may be my favorite lake hike i've done so far in Estes. While loch lake is beautiful, it has a lot mores switchbacks on the ridge in the sun. Haiyaha is more covered and has less people. The hike has a little bit of everything and you get a great view of the park on the way up. Took me about an hour and a half to get up with some boulder climbing at the end. I'd highly recommend!

Very nice hike. Beautiful lake with big rocks to climb over at the end. Had lunch there and took in the awesome views. Look for the old gnarled bristlecone pine there - a very unique tree. We continued on to Black Lake.

Great hike. The views are awesome at the lake! Explore around and climb the boulders. Cool little cove to the right. Definitely a less traveled trail! Bear Lake parking lot said full at 8am, but we grabbed a spot. Spent quite a bit of time at the lake and as we came down we were passed by the masses going up!

Haiyaha is a quieter lake compared to its neighboring Emerald Lake and Dream Lake. Massive rocky boulders line the lake edge and make for good spots for sitting with a snack. The lake is big - don’t be fooled by the little pond right before it. I started at Bear Lake Trailhead and looped to Dream Lake, Emerald and the Loch and ended at Glacier Gorge Trailhead where I caught a ride back to the nearby Park and Ride. It’s a nice workout with a mix of inclines and shade and views.

Challenging, but not too challenging. It should be made aware that there are large boulders that need to be crossed in order to see Lake Haiyaha.

rock climbing

This was the best part of our hike!

Hiked this trail on Saturday 7/14 after doing the 3 lake trail to Nymph, Dream, and Emerald. So much prettier at Haiyaha and the trail had more breathtaking views on the way up. Honestly I was slightly disappointed at Emerald after reading all of its reviews, but the extra detour I took to Haiyaha made it worth it. Climbing the giant boulders right before reaching the lake made the hike a bit more challenging, which was what I was looking for. Also don’t miss a beautiful unnamed lake full of boulders to the right of the trail just before reaching Haiyaha.

Great little hike. Since it's off the 3 lake loop from Bear Lake trail head, make sure to get there early. No idea why this isn't as popular a stop on that loop because it's much prettier than the other lakes, but that might be a good thing! Each time I've hiked this, it's been fairly quiet and empty however I've noticed a lot more climbers with their huge mats blocking up the trail recently, so be careful on the narrow parts and let them pass first. A little steep in some parts, and you will have to climb over boulders to see the full lake, but it's completely worth it. One of my favorite lakes!

Amazing trail. Amazing lake. So many fun rocks to climb on. Would return.

We went on the 4th of July, and started our journey (after being dropped off by the shuttle) at Bear Lake Trailhead. The start of the hike was pretty crowded but once we got past emerald and dream lakes it was much less so. The funnest part of the hike was traversing the boulders to get up to the lake itself. Overall the scenery was beautiful as to be expected in RMNP.

Loved hiking this trail after going up Nymph, Dream, and Emerald lake trails. Overall I’d say this lake is a better view than the three other lakes. There are rocks to walk across in order to see the lake but it is extremely worth it. This may be difficult for children or elders due to having to maneuver across the rocks. Some of the rocks are quite large! I would absolutely do this hike again! My husband and I made it to the lake in just under 30 minutes from the split in the trail to either go to Lake Haiyaha or Emerald.

This hike had really spectacular views but when we arrived at the lake, it was difficult to get a good view of the lake without climbing over huge rocks. I prefer Emerald Lake for this reason.

Did this hike on the hottest day yet this summer and was very pleased to have chosen it! As everyone has previously reviewed, it packs up early making parking a bit of a nightmare, but with a little patience and determination (or the park and ride!) you’ll manage. The trail is pretty easy and the crowd thins out almost immediately after jut off for Emerald Lake. It also gets a bit steeper here, with a few switchbacks but nothing terribly strenuous. Lots of wildflowers and awesome gorge views as you go up! A lot of people seem to reach the Boulder field and turn back, but don’t let this daunt you! Lake Haiyaha is just beyond and well worth scrambling over some ankle-breakers to reach its shore. The water really is that green/blue and lined with boulders. I trekked about halfway around, crossing over Chaos Creek to get a better view of Chaos Canyon, Otis and Hallett Peaks. Excellent spot for fishing if you brought your pole along; a beer; photo op or whatever your vice! Take it in and enjoy!!