Lake Constantine Trail

Lake Constantine Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Minturn, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,660 feet Route Type: Out & Back

4miles south of Minturn, to Tigiwon Rd.(FR 707),turn right and drive 8 miles to the Fall Creek Th. Off road, steep, hairpin turns to make it to this trail.

This hike is beautiful!! It is 14 Km long and The trail head doesn’t show that it is the correct trail also the app kept sending me off route alerts. Said that, it is one of my favorites. The views are spectacular, the trail is shaded almost the whole time and the lake is incredible! It is long but worth it. Definitely a must!

This was a great hike! Beautiful the whole way. There is a lot of up and down instead of an incline the whole way to the lake which makes it easier. There are some spots with very steep drop offs to the side of the trail and some slit rock climbing where the dirt path is no longer there. I did not stay at the lake long since the mosquito's started to bother me. It says 7.3 round trip but at the end I tracked 8.3 miles round trip. The drive to the trail head is a long one and the trail head was so packed I had to park a ways a way but over all great over all easy hike.

Rocky and uneven, but the views kept me moving. Trail is easy to lose at Lake Constantine. Trail to Tuhare Lakes is unmarked, overgrown, and in some places just climbing across boulder fields, but totally worth it when you get there. No trees, so if you hammock camp like me just enjoy the view and head back out to find trees.

Backpacked to the lake on 9/7-8. The trailhead was full at 9:15 but very few people on this trail. Some got earlier starts but many could have been hiking on another trail that leaves from the same trailhead. This is a great trail, very forested and mostly shaded. A few areas open up with great views. A few sections a little tricky to navigate with a heavy pack but very doable. Overall I agree with the moderate rating. The lake is beautiful and huge! Lots of fish feeding before dusk. Plenty of areas to camp along the south and west sides of the lake. Many mosquitos still out and about around the lake. Only was aware of two other parties camping around the lake.

This is an underrated hike. Definitely not too hard. On a busy Labor Day only saw 4 to 5 other groups. When we got up to the lake at about 1, we didn’t see a single person. I’m surprised this wasn’t as popular. If you want a easier, shorter hike with a great reward at the end with the lake, with very little people then this hike is for you.

A lot of up and down! But overall pretty easy. There are a few places in the trail that there is a significant drop off on one side but just take your time. We made it to the Lake in 3 hours (our gps said 4.2 miles) stopping here and there for pics. Only saw maybe 5 other couples/groups hiking all day. We had the lake to ourselves!!! That’s where the majority of the mosquitos were definitely take bug spray with you! I did ok but my husband had clusters of bites all over from his neck to his ankles. We spent about 2 hours at the lake because we brought our pack rafts. 2 Hours to get down. Loved the scenery and the lake was beautiful overall a great day hike.

Nice trail. Lake was pretty. Not many people. I would rate it like others - towards the easy side of moderate. I did encounter plenty of hungry mosquitos by the lake.

Gorgeous trail that is about 90% shady. I showed that it was 4.4 miles each way. It is on the easier end of moderate. Only saw four other people on the trail. The lake has lots of spots perfect for a picnic. Minimal bug activity, probably because it was a cooler day.

A beautiful hike! Just a little barrow and scary for our pup! The reviews of bugs at the lake are no joke!! I have to use Deet to keep them away :(. We saw a couple of people on the trail and some kayakers on the lake but had the whole lake to ourselves by nightfall. We skipped a fire because we were tired and firewood was really scarce. All in all just be prepared for buggggggs! It’s also about 5.2 miles to the lake and my app kept telling me I was off trail when I wasn’t, there’s only one trail to take except for notch mountain turn off!

according to apple, it is 4.4 miles up to the lake. beautiful day in mid August - only saw one other group of 3.

Did this on July 18. Awesome hike through groves of trees, rock falls and with great vistas. The lake is absolutely stunning. Would have gone swimming in the lake if I had come prepared ! Get your bug spray; there are marshy patches with mosquitoes. It is close to about 8.5 miles in and out. Took us about 5 hours with a 1/2 hour stop on the top. The trail has ups and downs especially towards the end. The trailhead has absolutely no markings for Lake Constantine so it took us some time to find it. It starts to the left of the lower parking lot. Cross the small wooden bridge and then take the trail heading to the right.

We enjoyed the hike very much. It is still a little muddy and wet in places so waterproof hiking boots are a good idea. Plenty of mosquitoes down low, but as we gained elevation they left us. Very few bugs at the Lake. We drove a small SUV and made it up the road very easily. The hike to the lake took us every bit of two hours and we were not particularly slow. We also found it to be a little more than moderately difficult in some spots. We hiked on a Friday and passed very few people on our way up, but passed several people heading up for the night as we descended.

Went up on 7/13 and stayed at Lake Constantine, trail continues to other lakes. Steady climb with a scramble toward the end. A few creek crossings, or high run off left us with soggy shoes. the trail is muddy with some snow, but definitely doable. Rangers were giving warnings for people camping too close to trail or water. plenty of anglers (fly and conventional)

We chose this trail as a single night backpacking trip. It is a nice trail with beautiful scenery. We went the weekend of 4th of July and passed very few other hikers/backpackers. The trail is very shady, however that does mean that at the higher elevations we did encounter a significant amount of snow near the lake and did have to scramble to the top. There was so much snow melt, that we did encounter some areas where the trail became a stream. Would do this trail again once the snow melts.

Tue Oct 02 2018

Heavy incline with the altitude but through piney single track. Rocky but not overly technical, small lake at the end and an easy pacer down.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Such a pretty trail, and the lake is lovely. If it weren't for the drive to the trailhead this would be one of my regular day hikes. 1 hour and 20 minutes each way at a good pace.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Was disappointed that AllTrails didn’t mention is was 10 miles off road, steep, hairpin turns to make it to this trail. Started to feel uncomfortable since we were not in an SUV and had to around.

Sat Aug 25 2018

The Fall Creek trail head is adjacent to the HalfMoon Pass trail head. This trail is moderate with small inclines and a few narrow parts on the trail- the lake at the end is very pretty and you have the option to hike past it to the pass for more incredible views. HalfMoon Trail is definitely more challenge with the steeper incline, but Lake Constantine is a longer more moderate trail option.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Lovely hike. It honestly made me feel a bit like I'd been cramming Little Debbies all week because the elevation had me doing the hard breathe that you try to hide a bit when other fit hikers walk by. I wish I would have walked past lake Constantine to the other lakes nearby but I was hungry and wanted dinner.

Fri Jul 20 2018

Wonderful hiking and camping. Went up on July 3rd-5th, 2018 and expected it to be packed but was relatively empty. Only 6 other cars in the Falls Creek Trailhead lot, which holds about 40. Might have been the mid-week holiday, I hear it can get busier. Trail road was a long, 8.2-mile ride, but in good condition even for a 2WD. No trash cans at the trailhead, but bathrooms available. Hike to the lake is a good one, plenty of wildlife. Porcupine, quail, marmot, elk, and more. Some nice views on the way in. Camping around the lake is easy, dozens of used campsites. The best are towards the south-west side of the lake, but plenty to choose from. As you go around this way, the trail deviates and breaks apart many different times. If you're heading towards the upper lakes, don't worry too much, they all eventually get back to the main one in some way. Getting up to the lakes is worth it, and provides exceptional views. A few rock scrambles, but we were able to make it without issue with a small, 12-year-old beagle. Saw a few other dogs as well. 2:30 time to get up and down, not including an hour spent at the top. Trailhead to Lake Constantine: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2827267110 Lake Constantine to Upper Tuhares and Back: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2827272184 Lake Constantine to Trailhead: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2827275593

Tue Jul 17 2018

Camp at Constantine and hike to the upper lakes. Beautiful scenery and amazing wild flowers.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Tough for me but loved the challenge!!