Lake Constantine Trail

Lake Constantine Trail is a 11.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Minturn, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

11.7 km
579 m

4miles south of Minturn, to Tigiwon Rd.(FR 707),turn right and drive 8 miles to the Fall Creek Th.

Lovely hike. It honestly made me feel a bit like I'd been cramming Little Debbies all week because the elevation had me doing the hard breathe that you try to hide a bit when other fit hikers walk by. I wish I would have walked past lake Constantine to the other lakes nearby but I was hungry and wanted dinner.

Wonderful hiking and camping.

Went up on July 3rd-5th, 2018 and expected it to be packed but was relatively empty. Only 6 other cars in the Falls Creek Trailhead lot, which holds about 40. Might have been the mid-week holiday, I hear it can get busier. Trail road was a long, 8.2-mile ride, but in good condition even for a 2WD. No trash cans at the trailhead, but bathrooms available.

Hike to the lake is a good one, plenty of wildlife. Porcupine, quail, marmot, elk, and more. Some nice views on the way in.

Camping around the lake is easy, dozens of used campsites. The best are towards the south-west side of the lake, but plenty to choose from. As you go around this way, the trail deviates and breaks apart many different times. If you're heading towards the upper lakes, don't worry too much, they all eventually get back to the main one in some way.

Getting up to the lakes is worth it, and provides exceptional views. A few rock scrambles, but we were able to make it without issue with a small, 12-year-old beagle. Saw a few other dogs as well. 2:30 time to get up and down, not including an hour spent at the top.

Trailhead to Lake Constantine: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2827267110
Lake Constantine to Upper Tuhares and Back: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2827272184
Lake Constantine to Trailhead: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2827275593

Camp at Constantine and hike to the upper lakes. Beautiful scenery and amazing wild flowers.

Tough for me but loved the challenge!!

It is a moderate hike, and the whole trails goes through the forest, so there is shade. A kind of hike where you enjoy every step, not just the destination. The trail itself is pretty, and the lake at the end is beautiful.
We hiked a little further (to the waterfall at 12,000').

Really beautiful area, especially if you continue past Constantine to the Tuhare Lakes - the upper lake is highly recommended. We camped at Constantine, lots of sites, but a fair amount of people as well. The area is definitely showing its use, more litter than you'd like to see in a wilderness area. All in all a good weekend though!

Monday, August 07, 2017

Good first backpacking trip. Lush forest and great views, lots of wildflowers & also mosquitos! There were several other parties camping on the lake and tons of cars at the trail head. hiked up day 1, hiked around the lake and to the waterfall on day 2, and hiked out on day 3. Our little (energetic) pug came with us and did alright :) We chose this over fancy pass since you are allowed to have fires at Lake Constantine.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Great hike, good camping and beautiful views. Bring insect repellent as marshy areas all along the trail and lake have a fair share of mosquitos.

Camping spots around the lake seem to be plentiful and well established.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Great hike! Beautiful moderate trail. Definitely, don't forget bug spray. People who left comments here forgot to mention about it! I have passed 4 different groups of people on a trail asking for a bug spray! Lots of mosquitoes! It took me 8 miles not 7.3 ml. It is also 42 minutes drive on a dirt road to the trail head. FYI, the trail head names Fall Creek not lake Constantine!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Wanted to backpack this trail with a friend about 2 weeks ago. The access road was closed. I moved the gate and started to drive up the road. Very rough road but doable. I was instructed to turn around because there was too much snow and the access road is impassable. This was the first week of June. I plan on doing this hike mid July. Should be a great time to be there. Hope it's not too cold.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Beautiful trail, but the access road to the trailhead doesn't open until 06/21 so be ready for about 4 miles just to the trailhead in early season.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Awesome hike with amazing views

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Absolutely loved this trail when I was on it in 2001. Beautiful scenery!

Monday, October 31, 2016

(10/29/16) We were lucky that the sun came out during the hike, some clouds and rain at the start. The trail was very easy to follow and only had a few snowy spots. The lake was beautiful, but find a place out of the wind to enjoy it.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Great little hike with awesome camping spots around the lake.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Beautiful hike with not too much elevation gain. Lake was surrounded by rocky peaks. Great views of the Gore Range along the way.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Beautiful hike and not overly difficult! You'll arrive at the lake via Fall Creek Trail, about 3.5 miles from the trailhead. We camped along Notch Mountain Creek road the night before, tons of really good sites to choose from. This road is pretty rough, so if you have a small car I would not recommend. Lots of great views among the way.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Easy hike in, awesome campsites around lake, great fishing, cool day hikes! Must see...

Sunday, September 13, 2015

This trail was great. We hiked from fall crack trailhead tonLake Constantine in about 3 1/2 hrs. Keep in mind we had 40-50lb backpacks on too so if you are day hiking it will be quicker. The trail is fairly easy. It does have some decent inclines going in, and then steadily drops into the lake. We camped at lake Constantine for 3 nights. This place
Is pretty popular for backpackers, but trust me, there's plenty of camping spots and you will still feel isolated. We day hikes up to Lower Tuhare lake. This was pretty difficult as it's only a
Mile or so, but it's over 1000 vertical ft, so it's pretty steep. Class 3 I believe. I would highly recommend this area!! Loved it and would go back.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Amazing. Here are some videos of the camp we made next to Lake Constantine:

This made an awesome base camp for the hike up to the Tuhare Lakes. Highly recommended.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Great hike to Lake Constantine. Great fishing too.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Great backpack destination,not to long and you can camp and fish the lake. You can then day hike to Tahare Lakes above Lake Constantine,beautiful country and you can fish the Tahare Lakes for Cutthrout trout, or just enjoy the hike and take in the views.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

It was a great trail - lots of variety... we loved it!!