Lake Agnes Trail

Lake Agnes Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Walden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One if my favorite hikes in Colorado so far. I’ve done only about 10 but this one was worth it. Lake was gorgeous and my less than a year old puppy liked it too.

One of my most beloved hikes in the summertime. Short and somewhat steep, with beautiful views and good fishing at the top if you know where to go.

Gorgeous day on the Lake Agnes Trail today. This is one of our favorite snowshoe spots with the dogs. Full parking area on the side of the road, but it didn't feel too terribly crowded. Be sure you have gear for windy weather up at the lake--it's brutal but absolutely gorgeous.

We did this hike in snowshoes, in about 1-2 feet of powder. It was incredible! Very difficult if you’re new to snowshoeing, we didn’t make it all the way up the access road to the lake but it was still absolutely beautiful. We will be back again, hopefully we’ll make it to the lake next time!

Great short power hike to a beautiful lake.To be clear, the trail on the All trail map seems begin far up the road which was inaccessible by vehicle when we arrived. If this is the case when you arrive add another 2 miles to the 2.3 mile estimate indicated. Completed this hike over Indigenous peoples day weekend and it was cold and snowy but beautiful. The trail follows a road for the first mile or so and there was a good 8 inches of snow on the ground. After you pass a cabin, the trail is another mile or so to the lake. There are a good number of switchbacks as you make your way up, and the snow and ice made this even more challenging. Micro-spikes would have made for more pleasant travel. The lake itself is absolutely gorgeous so make sure to plan a good hour to hang out there if the weather is nice. The whole trip took us about 2.5 hours not counting the time spent at the lake.

Loved this hike. Quick hike up to the lake with gorgeous views.

It was an amazingly beautiful hike. There was plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view. You can hike around the lake and on the other side you can see a water fall. I honestly wish we had brought our swimming suits, the water looked so inviting. :D

Going up to Lake Agnes the road narrows for one car only,not enough room for another car to pass. Beautiful hike, strenuous at times mostly due to the elevation. My husband, two daughters 13 & 8 and I managed very well. It was worth the hike on our way down a doe was grazing a few feet from us.

We loved this trail!!

I live at just about sea level and this was my first hike above 10k feet. Challenging but the sights are definitely worth it.

Beautiful hike! You need to drive up a very steep and narrow dirt road to get to the trailhead. I did so in my car, but would not recommend!! I almost got stuck a few times. Other than that it was a relatively easy hike with stunning views. Well worth the hassle!

Nice hike with lots of wildflowers. Nearly impossible to do the loop around the lake due to the extremely rugged terrain at the south end. The dirt road leading to the trailhead was kind of rough, but should be doable with any 2WD vehicle..

beautiful hike. We took the road all the way up to the trail head with only a two wheel drive truck. There's a parking lot and cabin at the trail head. It's mostly uphill to the lake but our 5 year old made it just fine.

Consistent snow patches still present. Good luck slipping and sliding on the way back down.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

We did snowshoe on an amazing day this magnificent trial! Love it! Great views!

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Great trail-snow too soft for boots but not too deep/freshfor snowshoes. Tough hike

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

super easy and quick hike to the lake, beautiful!

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Wonderful place to go on a backpacking trip. If you're smart enough to not destroy the environment and leave no trace (very fragile environment up there). The reward is worth the drive and the trouble. Highly recommend for backpacking!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

good but don't care for the steps

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

great/quick hike, and good for young family! tougher during the winter, since it has a long steep road that leads to the trailhead that would have to be snowshoed.

I would say that it's "easy", not "moderate" as listed above.

Bumpy road, so I wouldn't recommend it for a low clearance vehicle, but there were some that make it up there Everytime I've been up!

Definitely lots of fish in the lake, but I believe it's flys only & catch/release... may be wrong on that though.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Fun. Use little flys. Spinner weren't working.

Monday, June 06, 2016

June 1st 2016. The logging road leading to the trail was closed due to snow about 1.6 miles from the trailhead. Gorgeous hike. We could have used some snowshoes, but we made it to the lake without them. The lake was still almost completely frozen. It was really an incredible spectacle to see. Scrambled a very snowy Mt. Richthofen to a ridge before turning back. I can't wait to come back later this summer to see it transformed.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Unless you are going with snowshoes or skis, you won't be able to hike this. Snow still several feet deep. First half mile or so is plowed.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

A really good workout with the snow. The way up was fairly easy with some light snow pack. No microspikes needed, just normal hiking boots worked for me. The view is spectacular in the winter time. I highly recommend everyone do a winter hike at some point. The loop around the lake was difficult on the west side of the lake. Just enough for micro spikes but not enough for snow shoes The east side of the lake is much easier.It was a warm day that started at 20 and I ended up finishing the day out wearing a short sleeve shirt, bring layers.

Monday, October 05, 2015

This hike was a little difficult on the way up, but super quick on the way down. The hike was more than worth it...the lake is beyond GORGEOUS!!

Friday, October 02, 2015

First of all, really would have appreciated knowing that the trailhead was barely accessible in my 2 wheel drive Ford Explorer. Used 1st gear to get up and scraped the bottom in one really bad spot. There is no where to turn around and the road gets bad really fast- also huge potholes and ruts- which is no big deal if you have a Jeep or something similar but it was not good for my truck. So, if you can make it to the trailhead there is a great view of the mountain top. The trail was pretty strenuous uphill but the lake was pretty. Not my favorite trail or area. There was also logging going on at the park entrance- not sure if it was a burn area or not.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

A nice, quick hike up with the dog. The loop around the lake is challenging because of the boulder field but on a nice day it's worth it just for the views of the lake. Not necessarily a destination hike but if you have another reason to be in the area I'd definitely recommend it. The Cameron Pass drive on to Walden is beautiful.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

A gem of a mountain lake. From the trailhead the hike to Lake Agnes is only about a mile. I went up at the end of June and there was still a little snow pack to negotiate... no crampons necessary though. The road up to the TH from the info area is a little rough and narrow and might not be suitable for a low clearance or 2wd car but the TH is right at the base of of the mountain lake. The scenery is beautiful and a nice hike.

Monday, June 24, 2013

We went in June and were able to start at the trailhead. The path was still snow covered in spots but overall this was a well marked trail.
The lake is absolutely gorgeous at the end.

Monday, April 01, 2013

Just finished this hike on snowshoes over the weekend - amazing scenery while it lasted! We got a bit snowed out in the afternoon. The hike was strenuous but manageable with rest breaks.

We parked just off of the highway, snowshoed down the campground road, crossing on the bridge and kept heading South uphill toward the lake. After getting to the day use area, the trail was not well marked and we used our best judgement, GPS + topo maps to pick the best route.

My wife and dog were able to finish the trip and enjoy the views at the top. We had a couple of novice snowshoers with us and they did great as well once we found the best route for them.