Lake Agnes Trail

Lake Agnes Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Walden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Great short power hike to a beautiful lake.To be clear, the trail on the All trail map seems begin far up the road which was inaccessible by vehicle when we arrived. If this is the case when you arrive add another 2 miles to the 2.3 mile estimate indicated. Completed this hike over Indigenous peoples day weekend and it was cold and snowy but beautiful. The trail follows a road for the first mile or so and there was a good 8 inches of snow on the ground. After you pass a cabin, the trail is another mile or so to the lake. There are a good number of switchbacks as you make your way up, and the snow and ice made this even more challenging. Micro-spikes would have made for more pleasant travel. The lake itself is absolutely gorgeous so make sure to plan a good hour to hang out there if the weather is nice. The whole trip took us about 2.5 hours not counting the time spent at the lake.

Loved this hike. Quick hike up to the lake with gorgeous views.

It was an amazingly beautiful hike. There was plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view. You can hike around the lake and on the other side you can see a water fall. I honestly wish we had brought our swimming suits, the water looked so inviting. :D

Going up to Lake Agnes the road narrows for one car only,not enough room for another car to pass. Beautiful hike, strenuous at times mostly due to the elevation. My husband, two daughters 13 & 8 and I managed very well. It was worth the hike on our way down a doe was grazing a few feet from us.

We loved this trail!!

I live at just about sea level and this was my first hike above 10k feet. Challenging but the sights are definitely worth it.

Beautiful hike! You need to drive up a very steep and narrow dirt road to get to the trailhead. I did so in my car, but would not recommend!! I almost got stuck a few times. Other than that it was a relatively easy hike with stunning views. Well worth the hassle!

Nice hike with lots of wildflowers. Nearly impossible to do the loop around the lake due to the extremely rugged terrain at the south end. The dirt road leading to the trailhead was kind of rough, but should be doable with any 2WD vehicle..

beautiful hike. We took the road all the way up to the trail head with only a two wheel drive truck. There's a parking lot and cabin at the trail head. It's mostly uphill to the lake but our 5 year old made it just fine.

Consistent snow patches still present. Good luck slipping and sliding on the way back down.

We did snowshoe on an amazing day this magnificent trial! Love it! Great views!

Great trail-snow too soft for boots but not too deep/freshfor snowshoes. Tough hike

super easy and quick hike to the lake, beautiful!

Wonderful place to go on a backpacking trip. If you're smart enough to not destroy the environment and leave no trace (very fragile environment up there). The reward is worth the drive and the trouble. Highly recommend for backpacking!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

good but don't care for the steps

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

great/quick hike, and good for young family! tougher during the winter, since it has a long steep road that leads to the trailhead that would have to be snowshoed.

I would say that it's "easy", not "moderate" as listed above.

Bumpy road, so I wouldn't recommend it for a low clearance vehicle, but there were some that make it up there Everytime I've been up!

Definitely lots of fish in the lake, but I believe it's flys only & catch/release... may be wrong on that though.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Fun. Use little flys. Spinner weren't working.

Monday, June 06, 2016

June 1st 2016. The logging road leading to the trail was closed due to snow about 1.6 miles from the trailhead. Gorgeous hike. We could have used some snowshoes, but we made it to the lake without them. The lake was still almost completely frozen. It was really an incredible spectacle to see. Scrambled a very snowy Mt. Richthofen to a ridge before turning back. I can't wait to come back later this summer to see it transformed.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Unless you are going with snowshoes or skis, you won't be able to hike this. Snow still several feet deep. First half mile or so is plowed.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

A really good workout with the snow. The way up was fairly easy with some light snow pack. No microspikes needed, just normal hiking boots worked for me. The view is spectacular in the winter time. I highly recommend everyone do a winter hike at some point. The loop around the lake was difficult on the west side of the lake. Just enough for micro spikes but not enough for snow shoes The east side of the lake is much easier.It was a warm day that started at 20 and I ended up finishing the day out wearing a short sleeve shirt, bring layers.