Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lake Agnes Trail

Lake Agnes Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Walden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My girlfriend and I, along with my best friend and his girlfriend, all tackled this bad boy last Sunday (12/9); and it was magnificent.

We got a relatively late start after making the roughly two-hour drive up from Fort Collins; beginning our snowshoeing trek around 12:30 pm and returning to our vehicle around 4:30 pm.

The road down to the actual trailhead was closed due to the amount of snow, so we added an additional 4 miles to our trip (approx. 6 miles round-trip). With the small parking lot being full, we just parked along State Hwy 14 without a problem.

The road leading up to the trailhead was somewhat steep, but we were blessed with blue skies the whole way up. And even though the temp dropped into the single digits near our trek's end, we were well prepared to bare the elements.

The Crags to the east of the trail provided us with some stupendous views as the sun crept down beyond the mountains, just illuminating the tops of these exceptional peaks. We made it all the way to the lake, but decided not to make the full loop around, for it was getting dark and with most of the hike being in the shade (and at least 10 degrees cooler), we decided to head back. We were fortunate enough to only have seen four to five other groups on the trail, which just added to the splendor of this amazing hike!

Would love to return in the spring or summer to see how different it is in another season!

Tip: Make sure you have your All Trails Map downloaded prior to the hike, for we almost took a wrong turn and got lost, as the trail is completely covered in snow.

This is one hike I always recommend to someone going to Colorado. Stunning view at the top!

Our 7 and almost 4 year old had fun on this hike! The lake is a great place to play, have a few snacks and take in the scenery!

Mildly steep, quick ascending trail. Totally beautiful reward arriving at Lake Agnes. All by ourselves, no one out there but us. Monday 6a start time.

Beautiful, short hike with some short areas of heavy climbing. We parked at the winter lot because that is where the GPS directed us, and walked up the road. I think it's about 2-1/2 miles roundtrip when parking from this lower lot,

beautiful trail and view. Well maintained.

Easy climb up to a pretty lake with an island in the middle. Lots of fisherman. Saw multiple moose around the surrounding areas and roads. Can pick up American lakes from this trail too.

Great little hike with rewarding views!

Beautiful lake, the trail is in great condition! It was wonderful to see all the families on the trail.

AllTrails would not allow me to sign in, said I was too far away from the trailhead? Beautiful and inspiring. Good trail , well maintained and marked. Bring bug spray and sun screen. There is a restroom at the trail head and it is clean. Would absolutely do this one again.

Awesome little trail. Short but steep.

Perfect short trail for beautiful views and wildflowers. Trail features switchbacks, increases steadily to the lake, and is well marked.

beautiful hike

Cute little trail with moderate incline. There is no snow on the trail. Few switch backs and most of it in the trees. The lake itself was really beautiful. I walked around it which was no easy task but well worth it. Waterfalls, flowers, little streams, it was awesome.

Crags Campground and the road to the trailhead are open. Snow is all gone. Make sure to bring cash. $7 day use per person and $18 for camping. Multiple switchbacks take you up to Lake Agnes. Short and fairly steep. Beautiful lake nestled at the bottom of the mountains with TONS of fishies! Saw a baby and mama moose together and then a male moose with huge antlers later on. We woke up numerous times in the night to my dog growling at moose at our campsite. They were so close to our tent that I could hear them breathing and eating grass!
Beware of fire restrictions. There were no signs posted anywhere and a cop pulled up to my campsite to tell us to put out our fire. We even spoke to a volunteer ranger earlier who said we could have fires. It was a huge bummer because we couldn't cook any of the food that we brought for dinner or breakfast. We were originally going to do the American Lakes trail (7miles) but couldn't because we were so starved!

Hiked this three days ago. Crags campground is closed and so is the parking at the trailhead which adds an extra half mile or so of fairly steep hiking. Trail is packed with snow in parts and at times difficult to stay on track. Lake was beautiful, partially ice covered but definitely worth the trip. Overall still a fairly simple hike, took maybe an hour to get up to the lake.

One if my favorite hikes in Colorado so far. I’ve done only about 10 but this one was worth it. Lake was gorgeous and my less than a year old puppy liked it too.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

One of my most beloved hikes in the summertime. Short and somewhat steep, with beautiful views and good fishing at the top if you know where to go.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Gorgeous day on the Lake Agnes Trail today. This is one of our favorite snowshoe spots with the dogs. Full parking area on the side of the road, but it didn't feel too terribly crowded. Be sure you have gear for windy weather up at the lake--it's brutal but absolutely gorgeous.

Friday, November 03, 2017

Great short power hike to a beautiful lake.To be clear, the trail on the All trail map seems begin far up the road which was inaccessible by vehicle when we arrived. If this is the case when you arrive add another 2 miles to the 2.3 mile estimate indicated. Completed this hike over Indigenous peoples day weekend and it was cold and snowy but beautiful. The trail follows a road for the first mile or so and there was a good 8 inches of snow on the ground. After you pass a cabin, the trail is another mile or so to the lake. There are a good number of switchbacks as you make your way up, and the snow and ice made this even more challenging. Micro-spikes would have made for more pleasant travel. The lake itself is absolutely gorgeous so make sure to plan a good hour to hang out there if the weather is nice. The whole trip took us about 2.5 hours not counting the time spent at the lake.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Loved this hike. Quick hike up to the lake with gorgeous views.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

It was an amazingly beautiful hike. There was plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view. You can hike around the lake and on the other side you can see a water fall. I honestly wish we had brought our swimming suits, the water looked so inviting. :D

Monday, July 31, 2017

Going up to Lake Agnes the road narrows for one car only,not enough room for another car to pass. Beautiful hike, strenuous at times mostly due to the elevation. My husband, two daughters 13 & 8 and I managed very well. It was worth the hike on our way down a doe was grazing a few feet from us.

Monday, July 24, 2017

We loved this trail!!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

I live at just about sea level and this was my first hike above 10k feet. Challenging but the sights are definitely worth it.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Beautiful hike! You need to drive up a very steep and narrow dirt road to get to the trailhead. I did so in my car, but would not recommend!! I almost got stuck a few times. Other than that it was a relatively easy hike with stunning views. Well worth the hassle!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

beautiful hike. We took the road all the way up to the trail head with only a two wheel drive truck. There's a parking lot and cabin at the trail head. It's mostly uphill to the lake but our 5 year old made it just fine.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Consistent snow patches still present. Good luck slipping and sliding on the way back down.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

We did snowshoe on an amazing day this magnificent trial! Love it! Great views!

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Great trail-snow too soft for boots but not too deep/freshfor snowshoes. Tough hike