Lair O' the Bear Trail

Lair O' the Bear Trail is a 14.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idledale, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Fun mostly singletrack trail west of Morrison, Colorado. This is a fun intermediate difficulty mountain bike trail west of Morrison, Colorado. It is mostly a rolling trail with a moderate amount of climbing. Technically it is an intermediate trail with an occasional short advanced technical sections thrown in. Directions to trail: From Denver, make your way to Morrison. This is a cute little town and a great place to have some food/beer after the ride (i.e. The Morrison Inn). Take Highway 74 west for about 4 miles. You can start your ride at Little Park but most people will start at the main parking lot. The trail described is from Little Park. If you want to make this an even longer ride, continue on Parmalee Gulch Road and follow signs for Mount Falcon Park. You will be at the uppermost parking lot of Mount Falcon and you can do the Mount Falcon trail.

Great place to walk on some easy trails, but also has some more hilly trails if you’re looking for something more adventurous.

great trail. heavily trafficked with mtn bikers so be careful. moderate due to length, otherwise fairly easy with a couple steep inclines

Great Moderate hike, however I recommend continuing on Bear Creek Trail into the mountain for great views and wildlife

Good rolling trails, challenging ascents with decent that pay off. Come early as this gets crowded early.

Went 5 miles roundtrip from parking at Little Park (the lot the directions take you too). If you only do the trail along the creek (first 2 miles) it’s absolutely easy w/ kiddos and fishers. The moderate kicks in at about 2.1 when you start working uphill away from the creek and I would assume continues that level until 7.25 miles. The first two miles can be quite busy and does have a road nearby HOWEVER if you are able to go during a weekday (I went 2PM Tuesday June 5th) it’s honestly not bad at all and pretty serene being along the creek. The beginnings of wildflowers are popping up with a bunch of columbines about 2.25 miles in. Long story short: if you want the hike to be moderate/ a workout and not a lot of people, then prepare to go past the 2 mile mark into the woods and hills or go on a weekday.

The rating says moderate. It was VERY easy. Especially when you see little kids walking the trail. Definitely not moderate.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've been on... will definitely be back to do it again!

Not sure how this trail has a moderate rating. It’s flat. Like super duper flat. You will not be getting a workout unless you run or try going up one of the super steep mountain bike trails. I don’t recommend that by the way. And crowded. The creek is pretty but lots of bicycles and people and road noise. Not what I was looking for.

Definitely one of my favorite hikes that is within an hours drive of pretty much anywhere in the metro area. Can get busy by mid-morning or midday but if you're there by 8a you'll be fine. I'd say it's a moderate hike for the most part. Great view at the end of the Panorama switch-off.

Not as busy on a weekday. Great flat trail and branches off into other hikes.

Easy, flat trail. It’s very busy. It is also between a quiet creek/river and a busy road. There is a lot of road noise, making the whole experience not very serene.

It was a bit tricky to find the actual trail using the app's directions, so I did quite a bit of meandering. Beautiful hike with lots of trail options. Seems easier than a lot of other moderate hikes.

Dear mountain bikers, I have something to say to you, as well as to hikers who are concerned for their safety.

As I approached the steeper section of Bear Creek Trail, the trail sign said that bikers should yield to the hikers. Despite this, the bikers rushed down the very steep trail barely slowing down and cousing hikers to stop and move to the edges of the trail.

I felt uncomfortable, concerned for my safety, and angered by the irresponsibility of the bikers. I saw several pregnant women on the trail, people with very small kids, and elderly people.

What makes you, mountain bikers think that rushing through hikers in the great speed with bulky bikes on the rocky and narrow trail is acceptable?

I had to be hyper vigilant and jump to the side so many times that I lost the count. I am not hiking that section of the trail again.

I would suggest to park administration to make this trailer prohibited to hikers or to bikers. An accident is waiting to happen due to how bikers use this trail.

When I turned around and was going down the hill, one biker was approaching me and peddling uphill. They seemed very strained by the difficulty of it and lost control of their front wheel while passing me. I stepped to the margin of the trail but it was just few inches that prevented them from hitting me. This section of the trail was very narrow and steep and if they had hit me and lost their balance, one or both of us could have easily fallen down that hill.

Thank you for the two or three bikers out of more than 30 who actually slowed down adequately and were respectful and considerate.

I was hiking on Saturday morning which probably caused higher than usual traffic.

In addition, many bikers passed through hikers really fast on the level trail as well and made crowds of hikers move to the sides.

Well kept trail. Good for dogs and kids.

great beginner and intermediate hiking. Beautiful meadows and forest views. Plenty of hiking trails to change it up.

Great little hike / walk, dog friendly!

Current conditions: very muddy with slush. Bring the shoes you don’t mind getting dirty and a pair to change into afterwards

The bathrooms are exquisite for an outhouse. They’re quite lovely, well kept and very clean. The doggies weren’t very nice. Rather, their humans weren’t very nice as they wouldn’t let their doggies stop to be petted. PSA to dog owners: let me pet your doggie. The trail itself is very flat and very little gains. No bros on the trail today. This trail is perfect for brining your Midwest relatives who want that “Colorado outdoor hiking experience” as they don’t know what altitude is. All in all, this trail was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Also the water feature was

Easy hike for a multi-family group of 8 people, including very small children. Beautiful scenery includes the river and a "castle" along its banks.

Overall his was an easy hike. Started at the Bear O The Lair Parking lot, walked next to the water then up the bear creek trail. I took the road back. Nice scenery, some families picnicing, mtn bikers, trail runners etc.....saw some fisherman as well. A mtn biker said he saw a large deer cross the trail today.

Went on a Saturday morning and it was pretty empty. Trail is dry still and it was a great December hike. Most of the trail is in the shade though so make sure you dress accordingly.

Beautiful fall colors right now! Only downfall, you can hear the traffic for a good portion of the way & it can get very crowded if you don't an early start.

This was our first hike in the Rocky Mountains, we did some research and this was recommended as stroller friendly so we tried it out with our 20 month old. I wouldn't take a stroller again, their are some Rocky parts and parts that you walk through a few inches of stream but it was beautiful and worth it. We'll be purchasing a hiking backpack carrier for future hikes.

This is a beautiful trail. If you start at the park entrance, it's just about over a mile to get to the main Bear Creek trailhead. The mile walk to the trailhead is gorgeous with a flowing creek. I've been here twice so far and love the trail. The only downside in my opinion, there are a A LOT of mountain bikers on the trail...which usually means you have to constantly move out of their way.

Easy fun trail for families, well maintained and easy to get to.

We had a great time hiking this trail! Very well maintained and lots of wildflowers to see. Beautiful vistas and not too far from shopping and restaurants.

fun place. short loop. icy in winter.

Super kid friendly.. saw baby ducks and deer along the way.