Learn more

Lady Moon and Molly Moon is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Loop

Easy hike with 2 detours off trail to climb rocky hills. No difficult climbs. Lots of wildlife in area. Wear orange during hunting season. Dogs welcome on leash or under voice control off leash.

This trail was great for my very leash-reactive dog. Space to go to the side or move forward and past when needed and not too busy, especially for a Sunday afternoon. Not too strenuous in terms of elevation gain but a decent length. We accidentally took the Granite Ridge trail coming out of the first valley and ended up making the trail a loop once we hit the lake, taking Molly Moon trail back.

Awesome night! so many cool areas to camp in. Woke up at 6 am near Elk creek to a Moose 20 yds away. Really amazing trip not a difficult hike at all even with a large pack on. Will definitely go back

Unfortunately the free range cattle Have ruined this trail along with so many more. I don’t understand why one rancher in order to save money on food is able to destroy a pristine public area Leave the gate open - let the cattle out Hike with wire cutters cut the Barb wire

icy

Went on this hike thinking the snow would be packed down. We could only see the trail every once in a while due to the snow so we ended up following footsteps and it seemed like we for the most part stayed “on trail”. I left the trail map on my phone to make sure we were following and said we were. More than half the hike was falling and trying to land each foot in the step ahead or you’d be ankle/knee/hip deep in snow depending the area. We toughed it out and made it an adventure. Had to carry our dog ALOT thankfully he’s only 15lbs. If you are planning on completing this hike be aware it could be like this. We had fun, we’re sore , and tired but still feel accomplished no matter how bad it sucked sometimes. The beauty and wild life made it all worth while. Took us 4 hours because of how deep the snow got. Also a walking stick helped because you could stab the snow to see how deep it was in certain spots. Would love to do this hike with less snow.

Beautiful day. Snow is packed down in the trail - step out of that and you'll drop down a foot. Even in the grassy areas it's nice - not too muddy. No one out there even though it was in the 50s. No need for snow shoes or spikes.

Had my yak tracks on but probably didn’t need them. Trail is pretty packed down - just muddy.

icy

Bring your yaktraks in the winter. No need for snow shoes. Trail in good condition for mid January. I started from the Molly Lake trail head and hiked in two miles to meet up with the Molly Moon Trail and came back via a small loop. made a good 4 mile out and back hike. Only one other person on the trail on a MLK Jr. holiday.

It was a nice scenic walk and Im sure it is nicer in the spring. It isn't marked very well for snowshoeing. Great hike for many. Will do again soon!

Harder than I was looking for. Much up hill,though not steep. Very pretty. We 1.45min. We were slow.

This was a really easy-moderate hike. I did the Granite Ridge-Lady Moon loop clockwise (as the trail to go counterclockwise was not easy to distinguish.) There were several herds of Black Angus cows on the trail, but they don’t bug me much. I just yelled at them to get off the trail (having two dogs with me likely helped too). At one point there was a young bull who stood his ground, but I kept yelling and eventually he ran off. Going clockwise I spent a lot of the beginning of the hike in the shade. It was sunny here and there, but nothing unbearable. You will go through quite a few fences on this loop, be sure to secure them behind you so the cows don’t get out. Did get bit by one mosquito but be aware there are mosquitoes on the trail. Overall the hike was really flat once you got up to the top elevation. It was easy going for most of the hike and going clockwise on the loop, I did all my uphill quickly and within the first half hour, the rest of the hike was flat and then downhill. Around the 4-4.5 mile point (so, if you went counterclockwise this is the 2-2.5 mile point), I saw two Moose on the trail ahead of me. I spooked them as much as they spooked me because they ran back into the trees. I was able to snap a few photos of them, but I didn’t hang around too long because it looked like a mother and a calf and I wasn’t about to have something bad happen. The last 1.5 miles of the trail (clockwise, or first 1-2 miles counterclockwise) were really overgrown. It was so overgrown I had no idea where the trail for the counterclockwise loop split off and only learned during the end of my hike. This last bit is really exposed to the sun and can be really hot—my two dogs were exhausted and the last mile was tough for them being really exposed to the sun. A few muddy spots in the first mile or so, otherwise the trail was good. If you go counterclockwise on the loop, the switchbacks are rocky and the rocks are kind of loose. Good hike, aside from the overgrown sections, relatively easy for my 8 year old dog and my 2 year old dog who aren’t experienced hikers. Also good for me as an overweight, relatively inexperienced hiker.

recorded Lady Moon and Molly Moon

Excellent trail! Fun place to ride!

great day trip we turned into an overnight backpacking trip. we camped near the trail and heard elk at night but never saw any wildlife other than the misquitos and horse flies. would love to go back on a nountain biking trip next time. awesome meadows and falls!

Nice views, fun switchbacks. Lots of beautiful wildflowers. Trail through fields are overgrown, horseflies were trying to bite. Fields and views of lakes , boulders and mountains were nice to look at. Molly lake more of a pond- not very impressive. People riding horses on trail, watch out for horse poop.

Nice trail. Tons of wild flowers this week. Went clockwise. Pretty easy. 4 Gate crossings. Last 1/2 mile through the meadow was a little overgrown and soggy but still easy to follow trail.

Sat May 18 2019

I hiked this on May 18, 2019. This was an excellent day to do this trail. There is not a lot of shade and the trail opens wide up in places. Great for off-leash dogs. Some wildflowers all along the trail. Peaceful. Molly lake is small but scenic.

Sun May 05 2019

Went on cinco de mayo kind of late in the day (2p) and saw maybe 4 other people so it was great like having the whole trail to ourselves! It was muddy with a couple water crossings and there was some snow was on the last portion of the loop but not so much that you couldn't pass or had to turn around. Made it all 6.3 miles (maybe more) but didn't see any wildlife just fresh droppings so they were definitely close by. The views were nice from the top and the wildflowers were beginning to pop up, definitely worth the soreness after mile 4. Will have to come back sometime soon to check out molly lake.

recorded Lady Moon and Molly Moon