La Plata Peak (Southern Approach)

La Plata Peak (Southern Approach) is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,625 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

Great hike. Access to the TH from Winfield with SUV is possible. The switchbacks above the old mine are damaged so the descent is a challenge. Cool golden alpine asters (in September!) Despite a sunny weekend, not too many hikers! (4 hours to the summit, 3 hours back).

Only one section going up through the boulder field before one of the first false summits was a little tough to follow the trail. Much easier to see the trail and cairns on the way back down.

Great hike, not to strenuous if you are used to 14ers. Found this route to be easier than east ridge and shorter distance.

Fri Sep 14 2018

09/14/2018 Winfield TH - Beautiful views! Trail follows a stream at the beginning. Caught the Aspens changing. My hiking partner and I both tracked 9 miles round trip (here and 14ers.com state 7 miles though). Took a Crosstrek and parked near the last junction. Not worth driving up that last bit. Lots of elevation gain / very steep in certain spots. Felt like we were going straight up right before the trail goes right about half way. Lots of scree in this spot so when we were coming down we couldn't help but slide on our butts. There are 3-4 false summits (very deceiving!). Near the top the trail is hard to follow - look out for cairns. Lots of boulder scrambling. Got off trail on our way back down and it was rough. I had my large black lab with me and he was struggling through the boulders. We were the ONLY people on this trail that day. Saw maybe 6 people at the summit that had taken different routes. Drank more water than usual (not sure why) but a good Samaritan left a gallon of water on the trail. Thank you!!!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Standard Class 2 14er. Though, the elevation gain makes it seem more difficult than average (starting from the Winfield TH). There are some steep parts with a lot of scree that you will need to navigate carefully. Beware of the false summits (yes, there's more than 1). There is plenty of scrambling required once you hit ~13k ft.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Fun trek! Trail gets pretty scrambly about halfway up to the ridge, but definitely doable even without gear (read: trekking poles). May be tough with a dog though. Super isolated alternative route up to La Plata Peak. I only ran into one other person and I'm pretty sure we were both surprised to see each other at all!

Wed Jul 11 2018

I love the beginning of this hike next to the stream. Kinda tough to find the trail near summit through the big rocks.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Very tough hike. You scramble up loose rocks last 1 1/2 miles. Worth it! Brings lots of water.

Sat Jun 23 2018

Relatively easy ascent through the trees. Beautiful gulch just above treeline with a meandering stream that has to be crosses multiple times. Pretty slick ascent out of the gulch into the alpine zone, but with tactful foot placement it’s totally manageable. The push to the summit includes a false peak or two.. but is so well worth the hustle.. Another Glorious Day!!

Fri Oct 27 2017

We did this last Saturday. Fresh snow made everything more challenging. RAV4 made it almost all the way to the trailhead- probably should have stopped after the right hand turn. Thanks to whoever carved arrow into old sign indicating trail start. We had the entire mountain to our self entire day.

Mon Jun 26 2017

I started at the Winfield campground because my 2wd car did not have enough clearance to make it to the actual TH. It took 5.7 miles for me to reach the summit from this starting point at the campground. Simple 14er with a little mixture of everything; creek, forest, high alpine meadow, dirt scramble, boulder field, and lots of critters. Overall the trail is very easy to follow and is a crowded one.

Mon Jun 26 2017

This was a beautiful hike from start to finish. However it was arduous and the path at some points was difficult to find. Took me and my buddy a little longer than usual because his shoes got wet so we had to dry those out. Bring waterproof shoes and prepare for some steep parts. Also, my leveled-out F-150 was able to make the drive all the way to the trailhead, but it took some skill to get it up there.