La Plata Peak North Trail

La Plata Peak North Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Lakes, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Leadville: From Leadville, travel south on US Highway 24. Travel west on Highway 82, it's fourteen miles to the turn off marked South Fork Lake Creek. Parking is provided on the south side of highway 82 at this junction. FDR 391 crosses private land for 1.6 miles and parking is not allowed anywhere along this stretch. Walk approximately 1/3 mile on the road to the signed beginning of the La Plata Gulch Trail.

Starts with a beautiful hike through the woods, with a soundtrack of running water from the creek right along the trail. Above tree line, gorgeous views. A long and challenging hike that requires some endurance. We accidentally got off trail and did some precarious scrambling over boulders near the top - don't stray too far from the sandy trail. That said - the sandy trail/loose rock does get slippery and makes it tricky to keep your footing on the descent. We started at 9am which is too late for this 14er, especially at our slow pace - we finished at 8pm, just as it got dark! Lesson: start at sunrise.
Overall - this is a GORGEOUS and CHALLENGING hike.

Excellent. This was my first 14er, and took me about 8 hours to do. Things I should've done: start earlier (plan to be on the trail 15-30 min before sunrise), and spend an extra day acclimating.

Great hike yesterday. Dry conditions. Trail is easy to follow until you get to the last 1500 feet then you need to look for the best route between rock cairns.

Definitely a strenuous hike--the elevation gain is tough, but the scenery and views at the summit are unmatched.

Amazing hike very well worth the work. It is a tough one for sure but the views at the top are second to none. Trail is in great shape well distinguished at lower elevations and Marked well with cairns at higher elevations. This is a no joke hike the gain is 4300 feet from the trailhead. I recommend staring early. We started at 6:30 am and summited around 1. The most pica and marmot I've seen on a 14 er yet well worth the work.

We started at 6:30am and summited by 10:30am. It's quite the hike even for active Coloradans, but worth it. We heard and saw lots of Marmots. If you can start earlier than 6:30am then I recommend it. The trail is nice and shaded on the way up with the angle of the sun but on the way back down the sun was burning hot. Our pup loved all the streams in the first couple miles and then last couples miles. It helped keep her cool. I'm not sure if people every see noise around there but it seemed like a spot they would be found.

Friend and I hit the trail just after 8am. Took about 2h30m to get up. Trail is almost completely dry besides a few very small snow patches that are easily crossable. Not much wind up top and it was a beautiful sunny day. Took about 2h to get back down to the bottom.

Great first 14er for anyone interested in hiking/backpacking. Completed this in two days. The first day was a short hike to the base of the mountain to the designated campgrounds. Second day was the hike to the summit and back to the parking lot. GREAT CLIMB! Fun photo op with LA PLATA street signs at the summit.

Amazing views of the mountains and river. Mid-June weekend and ran into few hikers, which is NICE.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

I reached La Plata's peak on November 6, 2016. This is a very difficult 14er with great views. But make no mistake, the last several hours (it took almost 8 hours up and six hours back) are CLIMBING, not hiking. There was also about a foot of snow at the higher elevations.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

this was my first 14er. hard, but worth it.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Best! This is an absolutely top notch 14er. I've done a couple dozen 14ers since moving to Colorado and La Plata is one of the few that I would happily do over and over again.

Solid gain, well kept trail and spectacular views.

Tips: make sure to follow the trail closely for the first bit. A couple of people have mentioned they took a wrong turn off the main trail shortly after the trailhead.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Beautiful place hard hike

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Start early, you're in for a LONG day. One of the toughest 14ers I have done. Gorgeous view from the top

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Not an easy winter 14er but well worth it! Started early and saw only one other group the whole way up.

Thursday, March 05, 2015