La Plata Peak

La Plata Peak is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Winfield, Colorado that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I love the beginning of this hike next to the stream. Kinda tough to find the trail near summit through the big rocks.

Very tough hike. You scramble up loose rocks last 1 1/2 miles. Worth it! Brings lots of water.

Relatively easy ascent through the trees. Beautiful gulch just above treeline with a meandering stream that has to be crosses multiple times. Pretty slick ascent out of the gulch into the alpine zone, but with tactful foot placement it’s totally manageable. The push to the summit includes a false peak or two.. but is so well worth the hustle.. Another Glorious Day!!

We did this last Saturday. Fresh snow made everything more challenging. RAV4 made it almost all the way to the trailhead- probably should have stopped after the right hand turn. Thanks to whoever carved arrow into old sign indicating trail start. We had the entire mountain to our self entire day.

Monday, June 26, 2017

I started at the Winfield campground because my 2wd car did not have enough clearance to make it to the actual TH. It took 5.7 miles for me to reach the summit from this starting point at the campground. Simple 14er with a little mixture of everything; creek, forest, high alpine meadow, dirt scramble, boulder field, and lots of critters. Overall the trail is very easy to follow and is a crowded one.

Monday, June 26, 2017

This was a beautiful hike from start to finish. However it was arduous and the path at some points was difficult to find. Took me and my buddy a little longer than usual because his shoes got wet so we had to dry those out. Bring waterproof shoes and prepare for some steep parts. Also, my leveled-out F-150 was able to make the drive all the way to the trailhead, but it took some skill to get it up there.

Saturday, July 08, 2017