Kruger Rock Trail

Kruger Rock Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 977 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

The Kruger Rock trail head is accessed in Hermit Park, an open space just outside Estes Park, Colorado. The trail is about 4 miles round trip. Short, but with a few steep stretches and a rock scramble at the end so you don't feel completely lazy. And the views at the top are fantastic. Hike across fields and then up and around a forested mountain to Kruger Rock. $9 park entry

beautiful and easy hike. great for an afternoon or picnic.

Amazing views at the top! We really enjoyed this hike — enough elevation gain to keep it interesting but nothing too challenging. A lot of sun but then shaded parts/trees along the way. Saw lots of dogs on leashes; seems great for them! You pay to park about 2.5 miles before the actual parking for the trail. There’s small rocks and sand so I probably would have preferred hiking boots over my Keen sandals, but not too bad. We did this on a Sunday morning before leaving Estes area, and it was a great way to start the day but still have a lot of time to get back home, etc.

Absolutely LOVED this trail! The views are spectacular and it wasn’t busy at all - we passed only eight or nine group along the way! It is a decent climb and the rocks to the top are fun to clamber up, our three children had no issues getting up there. We will revisit it again for sure.

great trail with lots of fantastic views ♡♡ there is a $9 fee to park unless you have a county park pass. if you have dogs there are no poop bags available so be sure to bring your own! there are trash cans in.the bathrooms. not a ton of folks out today. plenty of space in the parking lot. we got there at 1030 am on weds 9/18. only a couple of other folks there. this was a really great trail!

Beautiful trail with awesome views. Lots of marmot scurrying about. Portions were rocky, but not too much so. Not too strenuous, but a nice workout for we humans and our dog.

Very nice trail. Go 2.5 miles from entry to find well marked trail head with parking lot on the right . Vault toilet near parking lot and nice covered group picnic area on the other side of the road. Trail has beautiful views and easy to mange switchbacks. Friendly folks on the trail but not too crowded. Good number of dogs and areas for us to step to the side to let others pass as we are training our dog . A short but doable rock climb at the end that is lots of fun for all ages.

My wife, pup, and I spent a grand total of around 2 hours on this trail (about 30 minutes was hanging out). Beautiful day, got started around 9:00-9:30 and was not at all crowded on the way up. On our way down we noticed quite a few groups heading up. Parking is $9 per car for the park. The scramble at the top will probably require some human assistance for a dog or small child. Wonderful views at several points and enough variety and tree cover to keep the whole week pleasant. Pretty good for not serious hikers, not too strenuous but not dull for the more experienced either.

Good trail for dogs. Beginning of trail has no shade but the further in you go, the more shady spots to cool down. Bring plenty of water for yourself and your dog. I started around 10:30am and it got pretty hot.

terrific trail. The switchbacks and a bit of up and down diminish the strain of 977' vertical in two miles. The views are wonderful. 2 1/2 hours up and down.

Took about an hour and fifteen minutes each way (stopped to take in the view and give the pup water breaks). A few lookouts on the way with excellent views! Plenty of shady spots on the way. The view at the top is spectacular! Other hikers, but definitely not crowded on a Sunday afternoon. Saw other hikers about every 10-15 minutes. Great hike! Will definitely add to my list of favorites!

My husband and I did this today. Took us about 2hrs up and back. Incredible views and sounds. The Aspens were glistening. So beautiful to listen to their quiver in the breeze.

Beautiful View at top! Took me (an experienced hiker) 1 hour to get up. Beautiful and DOG FRIENDLY. My dog loved it. The last 20 feet you can “climb” a rock to see an 360 view- but your dog won’t be able to.

Great hike. Very well marked trails good shade throughout. Most of the hike was moderate except the last half an hour in which the grade becomes steep. Scrambling through the crevasse in the rocks to get up to the rock summit isn’t challenging. We combined with Moose Head trail which was perfect for a full day first day hike at altitude. Trail traffic on moose head was light. On Kruger it was more moderate and we saw people every 15 minutes or so.

It was awesome. The bathroom did smell like cinnamon! Our favorite hike.

Moderate hike with a great view of Estes Park. Heavy traffic, so plan to get on the trail early!

This hike was FABULOUS! I'm going to take the highlights from other reviews and add my info after. BATHROOM- definitely agree these are the best pit toilets in Colorado! One smelled of cinnamon. Pretty nice. And clean! PARKING: Kenzie's directions below are great. I liked parking slightly farther (slightly) away from the main start, although parking was plentiful! HIKERS: very low to medium amount of people. Enough to feel comfortable if there was an emergency, but quiet too. Tons of wildflowers, chipmunks... great GREAT views of Estes in many places (so if you can't hike to the top, don't fear!) I do agree this is a MODERATE hike. Notttt easy ( I need to meet yall saying this was an easy type hike, lol) This had a 970+ ft incline and was all uphill until the top. The top gets more intense and rocky, of course. The beginning was pretty mundane but it does get more rocky. We took our dogs (little ones) and they did it, but they were so tired. My iPhone clocked 79 flights of stairs! Whew. This is not a beginner hike. I can see how peeps would want to take out of towners to this hike, but take someone who is of good shape. There is a $9 entrance fee at a self checkout station... just FYI, but IMO, this was WELL worth the drive and the payment to hike there. Absolutely beautiful and very quiet!!! I don't give out many five stars, but due to the hike, the terrain, the views, the nice bathrooms, the easy to navigate trail areas, less people, etc...this is wonderful and deserves a five star review!!!

nice hike, moderately steep towards the top. several places with beautiful views, especially at the top.

One of my go to trips for getting the dog out and catching a summit view.

Not a super easy trailhead to find if you park where the GPS takes you. There's a brown board in the parking lot and a trail to the right of that, which will take you to some bathrooms and a pavilion area. You'll want to keep walking until you see a parking lot on the other side of the road which is where the trailhead is. If you're not from colorado or haven't been the elevation will take your breath away fairly quickly but you get used to it as you climb. The trail itself is in my opinion a gradual incline with parts a little steeper than others. Very rocky but well paved. There are a few places to stop and get a great view! Good amount of places to stop and catch your breath in the shade. Trail is not marked with how far you have left to climb at all but I'd say that's really the only bad thing about it. There's a flat point when you get to the top and there's a pretty steep tight squeeze scramble to get to the top rock. 360 degree view from the top which is absolutely worth it!

Amaaaaazing views with this hike! Please note, it is difficult if you’re from out of town (or shape in my case

This hike was very pretty!! Lots of wild flowers in bloom. Not much shade, but we did it early enough and beat the noon sun.

Wide variety of Beautiful wildflowers

Nice trail good elevation. Awesome view of Estes Park at the summit.