Kruger Rock Trail

Kruger Rock Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Kruger Rock trail head is accessed in Hermit Park, an open space just outside Estes Park, Colorado. The trail is about 4 miles round trip. Short, but with a few steep stretches and a rock scramble at the end so you don't feel completely lazy. And the views at the top are fantastic. Hike across fields and then up and around a forested mountain to Kruger Rock. $6 park entry

Beautiful and well maintained trial with many amazing views and wildflowers along the way. The last short stretch up and between rocks was challenging for my pup. He’s just over 20 lbs so I was able to lift him over steep rocks. The view at the top is 360 degrees of beauty.
It cost $6 to get into the area.

Great 360 view from the summit...

5/27/18: Begins in a meadow with multiple varieties of wildflowers blooming, winds through a small aspen grove, then into the forest with a moderate incline, and a very short scramble to the summit. A few gorgeous rest spots on the way with views of Estes Park. The summit was large enough for a few groups of hikers to be there and not feel crowded, and the summit view is amazing--the entire eastern border of RMNP. Good hike for kids as it's short and not unreasonably challenging (incline steps aren't too steep). Well marked. May be moderate + for visitors from lower altitude, and easy + for local regular hikers. Moderate traffic for Memorial Day weekend.

5/21/18 Well marked trail. Nice views off and on, spring wild flowers, and nice rock formations. Last 1/10 of a mile you will rock scramble up to the top. Amazing 360 views. Lots to see given a short 2 mile hike up.

5/10/18 Start: 12:45PM Great views of Estes Park from the top! Worth such a short trek. We ran about half up and ran all the way down- great workout! Enjoy.

Beautiful scenery, nicely maintained trail with excellent views. We could see Estes Park from the west end of the trail and it was lovely. Conveniently located and they allow dogs!

The views are incredible, especially after the little rock scramble. I started hiking around 10:00 a.m. yesterday (Saturday, May 5) and was a bit surprised at how few people were there. I had about 20 minutes at the top all to myself and left before anyone else was anywhere near the top. Most of the snow from the storm earlier this week had melted, but there were a couple patches here and there that got a bit slick as the temperature rose during the day. I'd imagine most, if not all, will be gone after this weekend.

One of my favorite hikes! Not crowded on a Saturday, and beautiful rewarding views at the top! Hike is pretty easy overall, but some steeper parts that get your heart rate up and make it a good workout.

My wife and I just moved to Colorado and are trying to embrace the outdoor culture. We weren't huge hikers back on the East coast. However I have loved every hike I have taken in Colorado because of the grandeur of the mountains. Kruger Rock was no exception! What a fantastic hike with amazing views! It wasn't too difficult but was challenging enough to give us a workout. The only downside was the icy and slushy areas at this time of year that made one a little hesitant on certain parts. However we made it and it was well worth it. My wife didn't do the rock scramble at the end bc she was too tired but I did and I'm glad I did! Our dog loved it and loved all the smells! I would do it again but maybe once the snow is so gone. Do it!

Great hike to do with my 10yr old son. Great views of Estes Park!

Lovely, easy hike 3/31/18. No need for snow spikes; slushy and icy just a bit. Nice opens views throughout the hike. Beautiful views at the top.

Some snowy patches but very few, was a beautiful view, was difficult at times!!

Hiked 3/15/18: There was some snow in very small patches, no need for microspikes or crampons. Such beautiful views. Easier than moderate. I hope to return in spring /summer.

Some switchback climbing but overall easy to moderate. Complete in ~ 2 hours. Some short icy spots but easily done without traction. Windy and cold at the summit, but amazing 360 degree views!

A short hike but absolutely fantastic views from the top. It's worth the little rock scramble at the end to reach the very peak.

Beautiful hike with great views from the top. Fair amount of snow on the shaded parts of the trail today. A little slippery coming down.

Started around 11 and only saw two other people. Great view at the top, snow was beautiful.

Beautiful hike in mid October, clear skies and very gorgeous views. Pretty easy hike, we finished in roughly 2 hours and we took a good break at the summit. Lightly trafficked, so if you want to avoid crowds but get a great view, this hike is for you!

Many lookout points along this trail providing amazing views of Estes. The final peak allows for a 360 degree lookout which is well worth the hike to the top.

Great trail with beautiful views of Estes Park. Dogs must be leashed. Lots of rocks on the trail. Great early morning birding. Beautiful fall foliage.

On our last attempt, we were about 15 minutes from the top and the August thunderstorms rolled through, so we were thwarted. My daughter and I persevered and came back again to tackle Kruger Rock. And it was a blast. This trail has a deceptive start in a lovely mountain meadow, but gets very steep and very rocky. Not ideal for the number of little kiddos we see starting it. Very dog-friendly, our pal Sisko had a blast smelling every stump and whimpering at every mini-bear in the area. A wonderful journey that is on par with RMNP, without the ridiculous crowds of RMNP. Just make sure to stop in Estes for fudge and $2 mini-golf.

Beautiful views! While there are trees, there's not a lot of shade, so in the summer take plenty of water (especially for dogs).

Chose this hike because it's one of the few near Estes Park that allows dogs (not allowed in RMNP). Nice dirt trail, not a lot of rock scrambling. Not the most gorgeous hike I've ever been on along the way, but the view at the end was beautiful!

Did this hike in the winter and the views were spectacular. What an awesome hike that is dog-friendly and right outside RMNP. It was very easy to get to, and with some elevation but it wasn't too difficult. It was also very quiet with not many people on it. Loved it and highly recommend.

$6 entry to park. Short hike with great views of Estes Park. Totally vacant at the top for a mid-week hike. Slight scramble right at the end that made things a bit more tricky on a wet day with a dog.

Fun hike leading to terrific views of Estes park and RMNP. Includes some light bouldering. It's not a very busy hike, which suited us just fine. We used this hike to get acclimated to the elevation early in our trip before tackling some much longer and higher trails. Definitely recommend this trail. Don't forget to pay your $6 for the private park entrance.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Gorgeous views

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Loved the trail. Steep hike but not hard at all. The little scramble at the top was fun and the view at the end was worth it!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The hike itself wasn't very scenic. The view at the top was great, though. Pretty sharp climb. The trail wasn't very shady, so it was pretty hot on a sunny day. My 7 & 11 year olds made it to the top, but it was pretty tough for them.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

The views at the top are awesome! The kids also love the "rock scramble" at the summit:)