Kroenke Lake Trail

Kroenke Lake Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Main St. in Buena Vista, go west to North Creek Rd., turn right and follow it to the trailhead.

Beautiful hike. The two river crossings at the top of the hike were very very sketchy. Be prepared to get your feed wet. Cold snow melt but worth it. Just be careful. The top of the trail was still really snow covered. Post holed a few times, but not so bad. Just an extra exhausting step at the end of the hike. The lake was a bit swampy but amazing! Also there were a lot of newly downed trees so lots of climbing off trail to get around.

Great day for a hike (6/10/17)! We got most of the way up, but then had to turn back at the river crossing. I'm assuming it was a crossing based on a carin and what looked like logs laid strategically across the water. The river was raging! We probably could've crossed, but because we've never hiked this trail before we weren't sure what the trail conditions were beyond that. Plus there's a good amount of snow remaining, which wouldn't be any issue except that it caves in near logs and water. Definitely excited to come back and try this trail later this summer. The road going up to the N. Cottonwood Creek trailhead isn't bad, only a couple deep grooves and scattered rocks.

Hiked June 3, 2017. Still quite a bit of snow on the trail in spots. The first two miles weren't so bad but there was a fair amount after that so we had to turn around.

There were several people on this trail at 10am and the lot was fairly full when we got there. Try to get an early start.

We didn't make it to the trailhead because the road was bad. It would've been helpful to know itv was more of a four wheel drive road to get there.

I nearly made it to the lake on this trail, before a storm hit. I was then pelted with some good size hail, so a lightning strike, and got myself a bit wet. Overall it was good steady incline and easy to follow. I would warn people that there are some sketchy crossings and muddy parts that were not easy to traverse. I am planning to go back and start earlier this time.

Note the road leading up to the trailhead is passible, but does get slick when it rains. I recommend 4WD, but I had no issues with clearance in my Subaru Impreza.

Long hike in and some parts of the trail aren't marked great but when you get to the lake, it's all worthwhile. Camped up there for three days. Only ran into about 4 other people the whole time. Hike out took about half the time as up!

It's early October and a little snow fell a couple days ago, but today was perfect and some of the snow had melted, so no issue there. Got going around 9am, took our time going up to the lake (about 2 hours+). Then hustled down. all in all a beautiful hike. Pretty long hike and pretty much goes up the whole way, but not steep, just gradual. All in all a good solid hike and we're tired.

Awesome Spot! Absolutely beautiful views after a very mellow hike in and out. We ended up doing the hike on Saturday afternoon, and then returned to the trail head to camp in our car. We liked the hike so much that we actually got up at 4am to catch the sunrise at the lake. I would highly reccomend this hike to any novice campers or hikers. It's a very mellow hike that is well kept. Enjoy!

Great day hike or beginners backpacking trip. Due to the number of people at the lake it, it felt more like a campsite then backcountry, giving it a 4 not a 5. However, the overall hike was great. Lots of shade and running water. The incline was steady until the last push, but the lake is worth it. If you are camping or have a little left in you, continue another 0.5 mile up towards Brown's Pass. The overview of the lake is breathtaking. If you have even more energy continue 1.5 miles and 1300 ft of elevation gain from the lake to the top of the Brown's Pass for some killer views of the surrounding 13ers and 14ers.

** I would recommend hiking shoes just due to the number of water crossings on this trail. I would also suggest arriving early in the day due to the number of backpackers and limited spots.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Monday, May 30, 2016

Friday, May 20, 2016

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Awesome Hike! Gorgeous views, many streams and interesting landscapes. LOVE LOVE LOVE this HIKE! Arrived at the lake at 11:30 pm and there was only one group camped right on the lake, the only other people we saw were 4 other couples on our way down. The lake was clear and beautiful surrounded with majestic mountains! Brown's Pass is only 2 more miles away. Must get some gear for NEXT time to stay longer and do some serious exploring:)

Sunday, October 18, 2015