Learn more

Mount Democrat via Kite Lake Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alma, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 3.8 mi Elevation gain 2,034 ft Route type Out & Back

Rocky

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)

Please note that the road leading to this trailhead closes in the winter under snowy conditions. Please check with the Forest Service before visiting this trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (364)
Photos (916)
Recordings (289)
Completed (1632)
Juan Diego
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 14, 2020

Kite Lake and the valley leading up to the Mountain is my favorite scenery of this area. Not too hard for a fourteener.

Matt Robertson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great hike. Started late - second to last group to hit the trail (around 12pm). Trail was pretty easy incline for the first 1/3 but you feel the elevation coming from sea level. It was my girlfriends first 14er and my 2nd (did quandary before) so we took our time. After an hour or so some decent storm clouds started coming in but no precipitation. Most everyone was coming down in a hurry but since we weren’t too far above tree line we decided to keep going to at least get to the old mine and lookout and see if things cleared up. Luckily we kept going because it cleared and we were able to enjoy sunny skies the rest of the day. We summited in around 2.5-3 hours and took our time hanging out and having lunch at the top. A little over an hour and fifteen minutes to return to the trailhead. We took about 4.5 hours in total with plenty of breaks and an extra trek down to our car because of the limited parking for such a late start. Definitely recommend. On the easier side for 14ers but great views!

Johnathan Johnathan Reish
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
View Johnathan's Recording
Nancy G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
View Nancy's Recording
Ben Peryea
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
View Ben's Recording
Kendra Grubb
HikingGreat!
View Kendra's Recording
Walt Wampole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Started around 0455 and ended around 1000ish. Democrat was the roughest one with a false summit but well worth the view. Cameron was a little rough as well but after that it was smooth sailing to the other two. Lincoln was the most fun by far. The way down from Bross was a little sketchy but very do able!

View Walt's Recording
Teresa Sims
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

Amazing day. Glad we didn't bring our dogs- paws would have been shredded. Brought fwd car instead of truck-mistake. This was a little too much for us post 50, once a year, recreational hikers... you won't be done in 5 hours! Waterfall at the end of Bross makes the whole day!

View Teresa's Recording
david hill
Hiking

Lots of comments already posted about road conditions and when to get there—Remember the user fee ($5 per car/$15 per tent as I write this I think). Overall, this is a great 14er. There are some challenging sections. Steepest as I remember were leading up to saddle and leading up to false summit. Just go slow. This is a crowded trail but everyone I encountered was respectful so do your part and it isn’t a problem. There are a couple sections where you hike over larger rocks and the trail may be hard to see, but just follow the line of people above and below you and it will be okay. prepare for wind and weather as always. To be honest this is one of my favorite hikes- someone gave me a beer at the top. Don’t forget to stop and look at the views—well worth it!

View david's Recording
evy wedin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2020
View evy's Recording
Diana Coyotl Carlton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020

Awesome!!

View Diana's Recording
Katherine Papageorge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

The views from the ridgeline on this trail is amazing. We only hit 3 of the 4 14ers, went clockwise and did Democrat, Cameron, and Lincoln. We saw storm clouds in the distance so decided not to do Bross and came back down Cameron and down the way we came up. In all, 8 miles tracked, took us 7.5 hours (including lunch and water breaks). Definitely bring your own TP for the trailhead toilet, although it was restocked with supplies when we got down the trail at about 2 pm. Be prepared for tons of wind once you get up top. Trail was not too busy on Monday 8/3 when we went. Arrived at 7 am and still parked relatively close to the trailhead parking lot. If you miss the first permitting mailbox drop, there is one up top. Bring exact change. My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed this hike!

View Katherine's Recording
Christina Weibel
HikingFeeNo shadeRockyScramble
Karin Sharma
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Slow steady climb primarily over rocks. Step carefully.

View Karin's Recording
Eric Birchfield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Eric's Recording
Michele M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020

Awesome!

View Michele's Recording
David G.
View David's Recording
Aye Acosta
Hiking

Supper crowded but amazing! Definitely coming back. get there Early!!

View Aye's Recording
Vince Maione
View Vince's Recording
Jeffery Hicks
HikingFeeNo shadeRockyScramble

Great trail and meet some cool people. Paired up with a awesome woman and started running the downhills. Started at 4:30 & finished around 10:00. The recording doesn’t show the true trip as GPS cut out going down Bross. Up Democrat was easy & the traverse from Dem to Cam was good. Cam was a little anticlimactic. A little sketch climbing up Lincoln & going across the ridge (don’t look down haha). Headed up Bross was a chill but going down Bross is hell. I enjoyed the clockwise route but I would avoid going down Bross at all costs. I’m willing to try it counterclockwise next time to see if it’s any better or even go back to Cameron & hike down from there.

View Jeffery's Recording
Alex Masteller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Democrat was crowded by 0600 starting between 0430-0500 is probably best (bring your headlamp) I’m glad I went clockwise. Bross is all loose rock and would have been unpleasant as the start of the hike. People, that wind is Intense. A wind breaker over base layer would be fine, I was too hot with a lightweight coat but a shirt wasn’t enough to stop that wind. Gloves are an excellent idea Multiple groups skipped Lincoln because of the wind. Just make sure you keep your base strong on that one. This was the first time I ever did a 14er so I just did all 4. I’ve done cardio twice in the last 4-5 months. You don’t need to be Uber fit, just keep a good breathing pattern and walk a little slower. I got it done in about 5.5 hours and that includes wandering off trail here and there and some (appropriately distanced) socializing. I recommend shooting the loop. Have a fantastic day.

View Alex's Recording
Tylynn Zeigler Erhart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingRocky

Did this one yesterday, 7/27. Got to the trailhead at about 6 am. This is an amazing trail with plenty of pikas, mines, and wildflowers. The views from the summit are absolutely incredible. This was only my third 14er and I wouldn’t say it was easy. Coming down the loose rock was the hardest part for me! I would also recommend waterproof hiking boots as the stream crossings are pretty high right now.

Don Squires Jr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Wow, this was not easy. Only my second 14er and this one killed me. Loved the hundreds of pikas and scattered marmots. Also, loved the geek coming out in me, to see the old mines. The peak is so beautiful. My wife and I loved this hike.

Scott Hambrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

This is an amazing hike and the view is breathtaking. The hike up is well established with some sections of chunky loose rock. Some reviews commented how easy this 14er was. Mostly it is, but the section from the saddle to the summit approach is much more exposed than the reviews let on. I took my three kids with me and my two little ones stopped at that section. I would have chosen a different hike for them had I known. Definitely a hike to do.

View Scott's Recording