Mount Democrat via Kite Lake Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Alma, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

First 14 ever. We went nice and slow. Lots of great views going up. We went on a Wednesday, camped over night, left at 6:30am and there were only a handful of other groups all day.

Left Denver around 6 and got to the trailhead around 7:50. The drive up to the trailhead wasn't bad. I have a 2wd and it made it pretty much to the top. The trail is like a typical 14er straight incline. Try to keep a consistent pace and you should make it up in no time! The trail was a pretty busy so I would suggest getting there early. I was able to do Mt. Democrat and Mt Cameron and the views were beautiful!The weather was perfect, not one cloud in the sky!

Beautiful, definitely challenging like all 14ers. To get to Mount Democrat it is steady incline for 1.5 miles before it gets very steep and rocky the last mile.
We were planning to do the 4 in the ridge until altitude sickness took two in our group out. From Lake Kite it’s about 2,300 feet of elevation gain in those 2.5 miles to the top.
We hiked it 9/17/18, no ice or snow, beautiful weather. The trail is super loose in parts but no real scramble.
The road is accessible in most cars, I have a low 2 WD and was able to get 200 yards from the trailhead by going super slow with no issue. There were cars like mine at trailhead but didn’t want to take that risk!

Pretty basic trail. Super crowded - felt like ants crawling on the mountain. Get to the parking lot early (before 6am). Views from the saddle/summit were awesome.

Great trail, parking can be difficult

My first 14-er and it was a lot of fun with options for all levels. In my group a few submitted then were able to also summit Cameron and Lincoln. I had a picnic atop Democrat. Other members stopped at the saddle area and enjoyed views there. If traveling with a group with mixed ability levels then this is a great area!

A lot more bouldering than I expected but overall very enjoyable!

I arrived at what I thought would be a reasonable time on Friday night (6pm) to find a spot to sleep but everything was full by then. Parked further down the road on a curve which meant I got hardly any sleep due to the inconsiderate humans who kept shining lights into my car trying to find a place to park at all hours of the night. Probably the most crowded hike I've ever done while living here in CO. Out every 1 person who said hi back, 5 others would ignore you. People blasting music from their phones, people yelling at their obviously freaked out dogs to keep going...it looked like a damn migration and a hot mess. The hike itself was gorgeous once the horrendous wildfire smoke cleared though. Wildflowers of every color, epic vistas you couldn't even believe. Little waterfalls on cliffsides, a nice cold stream to put your hurting feet into once you were done. I loved this hike overall but the crowd really bothered me, I wish people would remember that it is a privilege for us to be out there, not a right.

LEASH YOUR DOGS PLEASE
Had a rather unpleasant experience with an individual who had his dog off leash and let it wander out of eyesight and a great distance behind him; his dog was trailing us for almost 30 minutes while looking for his owner. Please be responsible with your dogs.
Otherwise, road to the trailhead is a little rough but doable with 2WD and some discretion.
The actual trail is easy to follow but rocky with a lot of scree and bouldering near the top.

It was pretty from kite lake and the drive in was beautiful! It was a trail to the ridge line then when you go up to summit lots of scree and boulders but not terrible. Took us 5 hours.

Very rocky

This trail was great! Parts were a little slick due to loose rocks. The road to get to the trail head was quite rough.

Just did this today, 6/11/18, with my trusty hiking partner, my wife :) This was the 1st 14er for each of us. The day started at the lake and was really windy, and slightly cold. Be sure to remember to bring 3 single dollar bills for the fee!! The further we went, the wind seemed to mellow out some. At the 1st saddle the wind was ugly there too. By the time we reached the top, it really wasn't windy up there at all. That was nice. Stayed up there and took in the view for about 20 minutes before heading back down. The talus slopes back down to the saddle take some concentration for sure. They are tough enough going up, coming down is a different story as always. This is a short hike, just under 4 miles total. But it is a pull for sure. Highly recommended. You will lose the trail once in a while, but easy enough to pick it back up again. There were no snow situations right now that caused any problems along the trail. Easy drive up this road too, 4 x 4 not necessary, but one would have to go slow and pick a route if in a low riding car. This is a good starter 14er as it is short in distance, and elevation gain.

I enjoyed the hike up to the fork where it splits off to Mt. Democrat Trail and Mt. Cameron Trail. The rest of the way up Mt. Democrat was pretty rough. The rocks are pretty loose, but thankfully I wore my high cut hiking boots and brought my trekking poles to help maneuver to the summit. The views at the peak are absolutely breath taking making the entire trip super worth it!! I started pretty late in the morning so I was not able to do the loop.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017