I discovered this loop while reading about the Devil's Thumb to King Lake route and would agree with many of those reviews that the clockwise route is a MUCH easier option. I did this route with my 10-year-old and we spent one night at King Lake and the next night at Jasper Lake. If the weather is poor, camping below King Lake would provide more wind shelter but we found an excellent spot (a large balanced rock on the north side of the lake marks a couple good locations) to set up a tent. A lot of people seem to camp at Devil's thumb since they go the counter-clockwise loop and they bypass Jasper Lake. On a beautiful clear July day, we were the ONLY ones camping there. There are some amazing spots here on the central western side of the lake.

Overall, the clockwise ascent is steady which makes it much easier than the up-down steeps on the counter-clockwise route. Going from Devil's Thumb counter-clockwise to the continental divide would have been a real challenge with a pack so my son and I were both thankful we did the route clockwise. All trails were easily marked (although even the Forest Service folks who sold us the backcountry pass told us we were doing it backwards and we would get lost :) This is definitely the route I would recommend to family and friends.