King Lake Trail

King Lake Trail is a 12.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Nederland, head south on Colorado Highway 119 for 0.5 mile. Turn west onto County Road 130 (Eldora Ski Resort sign). Stay on the main road through the town of Eldora. Once the pavement ends, continue for another mile. Look for a sign and vehicles parked above a side road heading sharply down and to the left. This side road leads to Hessie TH and is a cobblestone creek bed that carries water year round. Vehicles without high clearance should park at this junction. From here, it is a -mile walk to the trailhead. This trailhead sees high use, especially on weekends, and parking is limited.

Amazing hike. Saw no one on way up and only 10 people on the way down. Great look at fall colors.

super rewarding hike

Just down from this hike today. Went to 12000' overlooking the lake. Quite a lot of hikers and runners. Gorgeous day!

Loved this hike! I was on a solo hike for most of the way, and I ran across maybe 10 people. The last bit up to the lake is the hardest part, but well worth the climb.

We camped at Lost Lake and then hiked to King Lake as a difficult day trip. From lost lake my GPS marked us at 10.4 miles round trip. The hike has some gorgeous views, a few water crossings, and the lake at the end is GORGEOUS. It will be windy at the top. Worth it but pretty difficult.

Amazing walk with stunning scenery and a gushing river. At this time of the year the river is extremely high and fast flowing, with all the run off melting snow. Unfortunately this means the trail itself is pretty much a stream from about 9000ft, and from about 10,000ft the trail is gone under the snow. GPS 100% needed from that point. After slugging through the snow for a few miles, I made it to 11,000ft, then had to concede the snow on the final ascent would win (1/2 mile from King Lake). At that point I hadn't seen anyone for about 2 hours. I turned back. Might have to try again in 1-2 months.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

This hike was well worth the trip. I started at 6:15 am and made it to the lake around 830-9ish. Once you get past the initial rocky beginning the trail does get a whole lot better. Extremely lush, full of wildflowers and streams, and overall beautiful. I do recommend bug spray, as the mosquitoes and flies were rampant as well as shoes with good traction to get by the rocky beginning. It's a lot like loose gravel and pretty dry. Overall great hike and workout towards the top!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Good hike with loads of options for shorter distances (lost lake and a nice little waterfall) and long (King or Woodland Lakes). Creek is running strong. We had the wee people, ages 8 and 6, and made it through the valley and right up the last portion of approach to the lake. 8 miles RT for us today. Path is 95% dry, lots of loose rock, though. Arrived 7:15am and had to park quarter mile down the road. Make sure to arrive very early if you want to avoid parking in Eldora.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

I did this hike on 6/4/16 and the trail was still covered in snow. We eventually had to turn around because we couldn't see any more tracks in the snow and kept sinking in the snow. Maybe it would be more doable with snowshoes? Can't wait to come back once the snow has melted! The incline wasn't too bad. Only the beginning climb until you reach the turn off for Lost Lake is a bit steep but it definitely mellows out. I can't speak for the last mile of the hike though (I'll update once I complete next time!).

Sunday, August 23, 2015

It was a great hike, even though we didn't finish. We were probably 1.5miles from the lake when we had to turn back because of loss of daylight. It was a beautiful but tough hike and very quiet. The majority of the hike is uphill and strenuous. That 2700ish ft gain was a hoot.

Will be back to conquer!

Monday, August 10, 2015

If you start the hike on Hessie trailhead, it's primarily loose rock and is pretty annoying, but don't let it make you shy away from what is to come. The trail is filled with wild flowers and Colomines. The water is absolutely beautiful, rather you hike the 10ish miles or take the road up and park near by