Kenosha Pass North is a 7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Jefferson, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,089 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of May 05, 2020, users have reported that this trail it is currently closed to OHV. Both sides of 285 are gated off and closed. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

This is a great trail that’s usually packed. I Started hiking around noon on a Tuesday and saw about 5 groups of people. I was surprised by the traffic noise for the first mile. After that it mellows out and quiets down a lot. No wildflowers, but the bright green of the spring aspens are gorgeous on their own.

Love this trail! Have done it multiple times in all seasons. Hiked this Sunday May 10. Few snow mounds in the shaded forest, but otherwise dry. About 2 miles in, the trail is overblown with fallen trees. Must have been from a recent storm. At first it was sort of hard finding the trail again but easier to find on the way back. Just look for the lined up tree logs to guide you around it.

populous tremuloides w spruce and pine species. May 6th 65 F little to no snow cover. great views of plain basin with more views of Breckenridge east slop mts. come back in fall for tremendous aspen color.

ohv/off road driving

Unfortunately it is currently closed to OHV. Both sides of 285 are gated off and closed - presumably for COVID-19. Oh well, hopefully it'll open soon. There were however, a lot of hikers walking in from the highway. Very mild trail which starts as a simple dirt road and then starts the climb up with some look basketball sized rocks. I ran an F-250 diesel (stock) and it was awfully bumpy. You'll need some clearance, but any 4x4 should be able to make it. It has some beautiful scenery, both along the valley and from the top. My first time to run this trail was in 1993.

icy

did not get past the field as the trail stopped and there were no markers. lots of snow

I would rate this as moderate-easy. Patches of snow and ice so microspikes were perfect! I appreciate the one individual who broke trail before me within the last week so I didn’t sink every step of the way! Trail ended around 3.5 miles out but I was able to keep going without too much postholing. Perfect sunny day and my dogs and I had the trail to ourselves!

Hiked/snowshoed this today 3/23/20 starting at 9am. Shared the trail with only one couple. Snowshoes weren’t really necessary until the last mile, easily made it up the trail with some yak tracks and poles. If you’re new to the trail (which we were), there are some random forks at the beginning. Keep right.

great for snowshoeing!

AWESOME trail. But very easy as in very little incline...at least for the first 2 miles in. I did this today and it’s pretty snow packed...I didn’t use spikes or snow shoes but you could use either. Beautiful perspective of the range starting .5 mile in. Very rewarding!

The first 1.5 miles are fine with crampons but you’ll want snowshoes after that! The views are amazing!

Snowshoed 2 miles out and back it was packed down and trial was easy to follow. Could probably be done with just micro spikes or yak tracks for almost all of the 2 miles out. The trail was empty no people just peaceful beauty

Beautiful trail we've avoided thus far because of the crowds. Went midday on Sunday of a holiday weekend and didn't see many people. The first 1.75 miles was well packed, I wore spikes and my partner just trail runners. We started post holing around that point and didn't have flotation (we were running) and we either lost the trail or it wasn't broken yet so turned around. Will head back soon with skis or snowshoes!

Hiked Jan 4th. We were searching for a place to use our new snowshoes and this was one of the few that still had enough snow for that. We didn't strictly *need* them as the trail was well packed (at least for the first mile), but they allowed for off-trail exploring. There are lots of off-trail high points that can be climbed for expansive views! Also: we found a women's pinkish and blue hat along the trail... if it's yours, we put it over the gate post outside Kenosha Campground.

Nice hike. Didn’t need snowshoes but used spikes. Mostly packed down and then broke trail after first mile and a half.

icy

Super easy hike. Tons of parking at pass. Very quiet. Key is to get past the only switchback as you descend a bit. Will come out of tress to a gorgeous view with nothing blocking it. We broke trail for last 1.5 mile today. Wear orange. Hunters are in meadow to right about halfway and following tracks off trail. No snowshoes or spikes are needed right now.

Aspens are all dead now but still a good hike. Will definitely come back earlier next year to see the aspens.

Check the map! Trail goes downhill and is uphill on the way back, so bring a snack. You’ll see lots of aspens in the distance where the space opens up, but won’t be surrounded by them for the most part. 50/50 combo of in shade and out of shade. Very crowded (as you’d expect when the aspens are out!!)

Great hike for fall when the leaves have change. Pretty flat overall so able to maintain a fast pace.

The aspen leaves are all down.

If you’re looking for fall color, most of the leaves have fallen but there’s still some yellow aspens, but I doubt they’ll last long. Great hike, not that hard considering the amazing views you get. The way back seemed more inclined/harder to me. Weekdays are the time to go, I can’t imagine how crowded it would be on a weekend between hikers, dogs, and bikers.

Got there around 7am and had an easy time parking! by the time we left around 11 though there were so many people, I can see why, it’s beautiful!

Absolutely beautiful, a great hike to see the aspen groves at their peak colors. Not a very challenging hike, great to go out with friends!

I got to the trail at 7:15 am this morning (Sat 10/5) and found close parking. The colors are stunning right now. It’s an easy hike and absolutely worth it at this time of year.

What a beautiful hike! Got there at 9:10am, parking area over-floated. Lots of unleashed dog hikers and rude bikers(they come down on the hill with full speed but they do not alert us when they were coming to our way from behind) but most hikers greeted us and friendly. Lots of shades, so this will be perfect for summer as well. Enjoyed the fall colour so much. I still give 5 stars after ran into rude people :) Oh to add, the app stopped recording 2,3 times so I had to open the app each time and started recording again when I realized that. That's the reason why my distance is much shorter than full length. #50 10/06/2019

Beautiful!! Have to hike about a mile in to see the leaves still on the trees! Super easy and pretty flat. We arrived around 6:30am on Saturday and it was worth it - on our way back it was a steady stream of people starting the trail (around 8:30am).