Judd Falls Trail

Judd Falls Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crested Butte, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Crested Butte go north on Gothic Rd. to the town of Gothic, Right past the town on the right there is a parking lot,or if you have a high clearance vehicle, you can follow the road to the end at the trailhead.

Great hike for families or shorter distances. Took our 4.5 year old and 1.5 year old (in child carrier on back) and they both did great! Trail has a nice climb initially and parts of the trail are pretty rocky. Great views of Gothic Mountain and the overlook of Judd Falls was beautiful. Continue on the trail past Judd Falls and go into Maroon Bells Wilderness (trail also gets easier here). A few mountain bikers coming down the trail in the first 0.5-1 mile of the trail, so be aware.

Great hike for beginners and to take the kids to. Gets a little rocky but doable. amazing views of Mt. Gothic! You don't really head down into the falls, it's actually an overlook. But beautiful nonetheless.

Easy trail, but has a decent amount of gravel and rock. I expected to be closer to the falls in the end but it is still a spectacular overlook

Short hike to the falls. You can park on the main road and there are two additional small lots closer to the trailhead. The hike is short enough we found it easier just to park in the main lot and hike up. The hike to the falls is pretty rocky. More climbing then I expected given the reviews. For anyone used to hiking this won’t phase you, but if you’re not a hiker just know you will get a little out of breathe. We saw several people taking breaks. I would defiantly recommend continuing on towards the lake as we found this part of the trail much better. Less people, less rocky, and beautiful views. We turned around at the river crossing which was maybe a mile or so past the falls. Our dogs don’t handle heat that well so unfortunately we couldn’t push on to the lake. I should mention it was pretty buggy. Lots of flies, some biting, which didn’t bother us as much as the dogs.

Took my dogs, very pretty, fairly easy trail. Falls was beautiful. Trail has everything, great photos of wildflowers, mountains cross the way. Nice restroom at head of trail.

Great trail to become acclimated as it is short. Saw a family trying to hike this in flip flops and that is not smart . The trail is rocky but the waterfall view is spectacular.

Short hike to the falls. You are standing above the falls looking down. Nice for those not able to hike more than a couple miles. The trail is a little rocky. If you have the time, continue on to Copper Trail and on to the lake, which is an additional 4-5 miles (one way).

Not sure what the fuss is all about. granted we stopped at falls because we were just looking for a short hike after hiking all morning elsewhere. I would call this more of a moderate trail due to all the loose rocks and it has a pretty steady climb. Not hard, but i wouldn't take grandma or anybody not used to hiking. I guess I expected to be closer to the falls rather than looking at them from 300 yards away down a cliff. An ok hike but there are much better trails. Maybe if you keep going it gets better.

Love it! My husband and I chose this as our first hike with our 6 month old baby in a backpack...definitely worth it! Falls at the end we’re gorgeous.

beautiful falls but keep on going to the lake if you have time. My GPS kept taking me to Judd Circle, a street in Crested Butte, so just put in Gothic Road and follow to Gothic and you'll find it no problem. Pack water shoes a couple of creek crossing nothing difficult but if you don't want wet socks take your water shoes to walk across.

Short and simple. Good for kids. Has great overlook of Gothic road, mountain, and Crested Butte. Ends at a nice spot over the falls.

nice trail. easy enough for kids. beautiful sites.

great trail And the falls are beautiful.

Cute little place!! Awesome mini waterfall to the right after you cross the river where you can slide off a naturally made rock slide and jump off a little cluster of rocks!

went to the falls then kept going to the end.

Nice short hike.

Awesome trail with incredible views! Hiked to Judd Falls and then continued on the Copper Creek Trail for a total of six miles out and back. Great hike! Lots of "cow pies" and a couple instances where I had to go around some cattle but no big deal.

Great trail. Beautiful. Did it with wife, kids 9, 6 and 4 year old.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

The trail is big kid friendly (5+). I hiked it with my two year old and had to carry him across the river and a few other times because of mud and tree roots. Wasn't a huge hassle to carry him because he liked to take breaks from walking. Lots of photo opportunities and a nice waterfall to cool off in.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Great trail for kids. We did this one with a little on in a pack and two preschoolers. The falls are beautiful with a little bench/overlook area. We will do this one again.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Greate family trail

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice, kid-friendly hike. Views of the falls are good, and there are a few informative signs along the way. Quite a few 4wd vehicles and a couple mountain bikers to be aware of in the beginning of the trail.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Love this hike. You can keep it short & super easy just going to the falls ... or a little further to the first river crossing. You can keep going and cross more rivers giving you more adventure. It's perfect for families who may want to start easy, but add on if the kids are doing well. Very beautiful.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Nice hike through the town of Gothic. Make sure you stop in Gothic and check out the visitor center. The falls were beautiful.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Great views and wildflowers . I wouldn't say this was easy...many rocks and steep in some areas. Especially with grandkids. Definitely worth it...everybody thought so!!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Two years in a row we have done this hike. It's mainly shaded which helps the dogs stay cool. There are a few rocky places to be careful at but overall a nice easy hike!

Monday, July 10, 2017

Beautiful, easy hike!

Friday, June 23, 2017

Nice easy short trail with the view of the falls at the end.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Very short, yet nice and easy trail. The falls were less than we expected, but overall worth walking. We continued to Copper lake trail from the falls.

Friday, May 26, 2017

This is my husband and my first time in Crested Butte. We also have our 5 month old little girl with us and she loved it! This trail was beautiful, there was never a bad view. ! Parts of the path were covered in snow but we were still able to hike on top of the snow. It wasn't bad at all. And the waterfall is incredible. Definitely worth taking this hike if you are wanting a easy, fun, hike with a great view!