Judd Falls Trail

Judd Falls Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Crested Butte, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 462 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: As of June 2019, the road is CLOSED about half a mile from trailhead. An avalanche took out the trailhead area. You can still find your way though. Follow the road to the restrooms and trail map. Still some snow towards the bottom but it is easily managed, and the further you go you will see less and less. The trail is very wide and will eventually come to a fork with three paths next to a pole with no sign. Just go straight onto the smaller path.

Good family hike. Beautiful wild flowers. It’s not a very long hike so parking at the trailhead is fine. No need to four-wheel your way up to one of the other parking lots.

I really enjoyed all the wild flowers on the way to the trail.

Very easy trail with amazing views of Gothic Mountain. Would recommend starting early due to parking and the heat.

Did the hike today! Beautiful views! Easy hike but rocky.

Super easy hike with some of the most beautiful views I’ve ever seen. The wildflowers of Gothic are stunning, as well as the falls in the end. This is an easy least must-do for hikers of all kinds! Also, the drive to the trailhead is absolutely gorgeous and you’ll want to stop many times on the way!

Not heavily trafficked on July 4th. Loved the drive and Aspen trees along the route. The hiking path had good variability and amazing views at every turn! Loved it!

This trail is short and sweet. I see it as a good trail for kids that have never been exposed to hiking. I was going to continue onward on the Copper Trail but decided to save the hike for the future and backpack it. Was good that I did. I came back to a shattered rear window. It’s a mystery as to why it happened. Vandalism or window integrity damaged on 4wheel drive up. Nothing was stolen from car so I think the latter happened.

great hike and beautiful views. however, it was not an easy hike. it took us awhile. my 5 year old had a tough time and was done by the end. the trail itself was not 0.5 mile long. it was at least 0.5 from parking lot to the trailhead. the trail itself was very rocky...

Wonderful and straight forward trail. We went on the 11th (June) and there was lots of snow melt. We did the hike in chacos which worked great because a large portion of the trail was cover in water run off; i️t was like walking in a super shallow stream. You are surrounded by huge mountains, the aspens are gorgeous, and you pass several modest meadows with lovely wild flowers. Also, we decided to try and hike down into the ravine to get closer to the falls. Be careful if you choose to do this. Everything is mostly loose rock ...I️t can get pretty sketchy.

Gale city

6/8/2019.... Road is closed about half a mile from trailhead. An avalanche took out the trailhead area. You can still find your way though. Follow the road to the restrooms and trail map. Still some snow towards the bottom but it is easily managed, and the further you go you will see less and less. The trail is very wide and will eventually come to a fork with three paths next to a pole with no sign. Just go straight onto the smaller path. The falls were gorgeous and on a Saturday at noon, saw only 7 people. Bring some waterproof hiking boots.

Beautiful all the way from the trailhead to the falls overlook. I followed the trail a little further as it reaches into the Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness.

easy hike appropriate for all ages. Enjoyed the drive to the trail more than the trail itself.

Although. The falls are nice, compared to other walks in Colorado, this one is 3/5

Great hike, the falls are gorgeous, not much room for viewing but it was fun.

Great hike for families or shorter distances. Took our 4.5 year old and 1.5 year old (in child carrier on back) and they both did great! Trail has a nice climb initially and parts of the trail are pretty rocky. Great views of Gothic Mountain and the overlook of Judd Falls was beautiful. Continue on the trail past Judd Falls and go into Maroon Bells Wilderness (trail also gets easier here). A few mountain bikers coming down the trail in the first 0.5-1 mile of the trail, so be aware.

Great hike for beginners and to take the kids to. Gets a little rocky but doable. amazing views of Mt. Gothic! You don't really head down into the falls, it's actually an overlook. But beautiful nonetheless.

Easy trail, but has a decent amount of gravel and rock. I expected to be closer to the falls in the end but it is still a spectacular overlook

Short hike to the falls. You can park on the main road and there are two additional small lots closer to the trailhead. The hike is short enough we found it easier just to park in the main lot and hike up. The hike to the falls is pretty rocky. More climbing then I expected given the reviews. For anyone used to hiking this won’t phase you, but if you’re not a hiker just know you will get a little out of breathe. We saw several people taking breaks. I would defiantly recommend continuing on towards the lake as we found this part of the trail much better. Less people, less rocky, and beautiful views. We turned around at the river crossing which was maybe a mile or so past the falls. Our dogs don’t handle heat that well so unfortunately we couldn’t push on to the lake. I should mention it was pretty buggy. Lots of flies, some biting, which didn’t bother us as much as the dogs.

Took my dogs, very pretty, fairly easy trail. Falls was beautiful. Trail has everything, great photos of wildflowers, mountains cross the way. Nice restroom at head of trail.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Great trail to become acclimated as it is short. Saw a family trying to hike this in flip flops and that is not smart . The trail is rocky but the waterfall view is spectacular.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Short hike to the falls. You are standing above the falls looking down. Nice for those not able to hike more than a couple miles. The trail is a little rocky. If you have the time, continue on to Copper Trail and on to the lake, which is an additional 4-5 miles (one way).

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Not sure what the fuss is all about. granted we stopped at falls because we were just looking for a short hike after hiking all morning elsewhere. I would call this more of a moderate trail due to all the loose rocks and it has a pretty steady climb. Not hard, but i wouldn't take grandma or anybody not used to hiking. I guess I expected to be closer to the falls rather than looking at them from 300 yards away down a cliff. An ok hike but there are much better trails. Maybe if you keep going it gets better.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Love it! My husband and I chose this as our first hike with our 6 month old baby in a backpack...definitely worth it! Falls at the end we’re gorgeous.

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

beautiful falls but keep on going to the lake if you have time. My GPS kept taking me to Judd Circle, a street in Crested Butte, so just put in Gothic Road and follow to Gothic and you'll find it no problem. Pack water shoes a couple of creek crossing nothing difficult but if you don't want wet socks take your water shoes to walk across.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Short and simple. Good for kids. Has great overlook of Gothic road, mountain, and Crested Butte. Ends at a nice spot over the falls.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

nice trail. easy enough for kids. beautiful sites.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

great trail And the falls are beautiful.

Monday, April 30, 2018

Cute little place!! Awesome mini waterfall to the right after you cross the river where you can slide off a naturally made rock slide and jump off a little cluster of rocks!