Jones Pass is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Super easy trail. A Subaru Outback could run it. Great views of the continental divide. Dispersed camping is a plus. As of November 2018 it's probably covered in a few feet of snow.

#XJCREW

wasn't sure where Jones Pass started so we walked up where the cars were coming. I had my dogs off leash so we ended up taking Butch trail because we didn't know where Jones started and there were too many cars going up and down the road. it's nice and quiet. Please pick up your dog's poop before you ruin it for everyone.

This is a 4wd road that climbs from Henderson Mine to Jones Pass. So that makes it a great beginner hike. No challenges for route finding or footing or terrain. Vehicle traffic is light enough to be a non-issue. And dogs can be off-leash, which was a nice change.

About half of the ascent is above tree line, so you do need to be equipped with appropriate clothes at ANY time of year.

Fantastic views and doable by anyone with enough baseline fitness to walk a steady uphill for 3.5 miles. I’m a fan; I’ll be back.

Great day not a cloud in sight. Smoke from the California wild fires was very prevalent. First time this hiking season that I wore a short sleeve t-shirt over 12,000’ even the slight breeze felt refreshing because it was a hot day.
Ran into 40 people who were doing memorial hike for Peter McInerney

The road was in good shape and it’s a very good workout.

Views were mostly blocked by the smoke.

off road driving

Very easy trail. Some narrow spots and switchbacks but very basic - great for beginners. We also camped to watch the meteor shower. Camping spots were plentiful. Really nice, open spaces. It was a great weekend trip!

off road driving

A great, straight forward trail with tremendous scenic beauty. Numerous places to pull off and enjoy the scenery, camp, or picnic. The trail is open all the way to the summit at about 12500 ft. Once you head down the back side, there's a cut off that trail called by some Crashed Truck Trail. There's a crashed Toyota 350 at the end of the trail. The trail is definitely not EASY and has a few sketchy parts. Don't attempt with a full sized truck!

off road driving

Went yesterday afternoon 8/5/18. Made it to the top where the snow/ice was blocking as most people mentioned. A few of us used ice picks and were able to chisel away enough room that a 2018 Toyota Tundra got through the pass. We even had a Subaru Outback make it through as well. Pretty narrow but doable. Other than that, the views were amazing and the trail itself is perfect even for first timers. Not too technical.

off road driving

Two Conservation officers were clearing snow/ice around 10:30AM this morning. By the time they left, enough was cleared that a side-by-side snuck through....our Jeep did not. A few good hands and some sweat for an hour or so would allow for vehicles to clear....although the drift is heavy ice, not just snow. In any case, we navigated a 12-Point turn in the Jeep at the drift and headed back down. Great trip, great views, worth it! Next time hope to camp.

Hiked this 8.4.18. Spectacular scenery. There were a number of 4x4s that passed me but it’s certainly not heavily trafficked. There’s still a deep chunk of snow at the very top so if you drive this you’re forced to back down til you can turn around. My advice is to hike it, don’t drive it! You’ll get so much more out of it. Look forward to snowshoeing this come winter. It’s a workout, due to the incline and descent. I’d rate it more on the moderate side for hiking.

My happy place.

off road driving

Great easy 4x4 road IF the snow bank wasn’t blocking the pass. I wish I had checked this app before we went up and listened to the reviewer below. We got to the top where the bank was blocking the road and there is no where to turn around so we had to back down a steep grade incline to get out in a Chevy suburban. I wish the county would put some kind of sign up letting people know you could get stuck up there and you can’t cross. Aside from that spectacular views and plenty of trails off the road.

off road driving

Not "Easy." Road still blocked by snow on 31 July, just 20 yards or so from the summit. One local told me that the snow was still 20 feet deep in mid-July. The drift is still 5 to 10 feet deep. I suspect that the snow will be gone by August 7, and if not then, by 15 August. As previous reviewer noted, you can climb over the snow on foot to reach the pass. Spectacular views before the pass and on the pass after you climb over the drift. This drive is not as "Easy" as the rating suggests. I took my Land Rover LR4 as far as possible. At the blocking drift, the road is too narrow to turn around, which means that you have to back down the narrow rocky and somewhat treacherous road for about 500 yards. I was grateful for the Hill Descent Control feature of my LR4. The guy behind me, also backing up in his Jeep, told me that he was pretty nervous and felt his brakes getting mushy during the steep reverse. Fairly deep ruts at multiple points along the drive. It's okay for 4WD drive vehicles with increased clearance and advanced capabilities, but definitely not for "drive I-70 because we are going skiing" vehicles.

Definitely not an “easy” hike as the elevation is consistent and I wouldn’t take beginner hikers on this. Awesome views, beautiful flowers, 10/10 would do again.

off road driving

Pass is still blocked just before the top with a snow drift

amazing trail. The terrain is easy, but with the elevation this is not quite an "easy" hike like some others I've seen on this app. There was still some snow at the top, and with the rising temps it was a bit slippery coming down, but well worth the climb to get the 360 degree views.

off road driving

Great day. Snow is still blocking the peak, but you can climb over and hike some of the continental divide trail.

off road driving

Great view at the top!!!

off road driving

Awesome road, still snow at the top so can't go all the way up. Overall easy except for the hairpins where there is loose gravels.

off road driving

I absolutely love the view up there. I would definitely go again, possibly camp there as well.
There is still still blocking the trail though so you won't be able to go all the way.

Got about 2.5 miles in today before encountering a snow drift ~4 ft deep blocking the trail. Lots of campers enjoying the warm weather.

A beautiful area, popular with snowmobilers, which limits the enjoyment for snowshoers like us, and the number of cross-country skiers we saw, but everyone was sharing the road on this busy Saturday.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Took a WRX with all season tires up about 75%. Once I lost full traction for the first time up hill, I called it quits. Slippery on the way down with a thin sheet of snow of 70% of the trail. Wouldn't go back up with out proper tires.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Quick and easy little trail. Nothing hard at all. Great views from the top. Didn’t need 4WD in the Jeep.

Monday, September 18, 2017

We drove halfway to the summit of the pass 2 weeks ago. There were some campers along the way. The view is great. There were still large snow patches at the top.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Great views and simple road to get up. Doesn't get much better than that

Thursday, August 03, 2017

First time off-roading. The road wasn't bad at all. Easy to navigate with the 4Runner. The family really enjoyed the views and will go again soon. We went on a Thursday, hardly any traffic. Great time to go the pass.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Went Friday walked up to top and realized we could of just drove up and parked lol... my first ever hike or trail... sat we went back to the top in the minivan and then I climbed from ridge to ridge was awesome

Friday, July 21, 2017

So, I'm still confused as to whether this is a trail or not...

Let me preface this with I hike-- A LOT. I'm not an idiot when it comes to finding trails, and AllTrails showed I was on the correct trail, too. That's why I'm giving this two stars.

I went yesterday, and while there is definitely a sign that says "Jones Pass Trailhead," we parked and looked behind the sign. I didn't see a well-defined trail, so we walked up the road instead. Being as it was our first time there, we thought we were correct. However, we passed a couple parking lots, and cars kept passing us. Is this a driving trail, or is it a walking trail? I still don't know, and after reading these reviews, I'm thinking it's a 4 x 4 road, but other reviews make it sound as if it's a walking trail. SO CONFUSED. We turned around after 2 miles in, because walking on a road, uphill, in blazing sunshine is not my favorite thing, nor do I consider it hiking. I will say there are beautiful views up there, and tons of wildflowers. There's even some water for pups to play in.

Maybe I'll go back, prowl around to sign some more, and see if there's actually a trail there. Until then, 2 stars for you, Jones Pass. If anyone has any clarification on this, please let me know.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Beautiful forest trail. The river has taken over the top end of it. Gorgeous foliage.

Sunday, June 18, 2017