Jones Pass

Jones Pass is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

A beautiful area, popular with snowmobilers, which limits the enjoyment for snowshoers like us, and the number of cross-country skiers we saw, but everyone was sharing the road on this busy Saturday.

off road driving

Took a WRX with all season tires up about 75%. Once I lost full traction for the first time up hill, I called it quits. Slippery on the way down with a thin sheet of snow of 70% of the trail. Wouldn't go back up with out proper tires.

off road driving

Quick and easy little trail. Nothing hard at all. Great views from the top. Didn’t need 4WD in the Jeep.

We drove halfway to the summit of the pass 2 weeks ago. There were some campers along the way. The view is great. There were still large snow patches at the top.

Great views and simple road to get up. Doesn't get much better than that

off road driving

First time off-roading. The road wasn't bad at all. Easy to navigate with the 4Runner. The family really enjoyed the views and will go again soon. We went on a Thursday, hardly any traffic. Great time to go the pass.

Went Friday walked up to top and realized we could of just drove up and parked lol... my first ever hike or trail... sat we went back to the top in the minivan and then I climbed from ridge to ridge was awesome

So, I'm still confused as to whether this is a trail or not...

Let me preface this with I hike-- A LOT. I'm not an idiot when it comes to finding trails, and AllTrails showed I was on the correct trail, too. That's why I'm giving this two stars.

I went yesterday, and while there is definitely a sign that says "Jones Pass Trailhead," we parked and looked behind the sign. I didn't see a well-defined trail, so we walked up the road instead. Being as it was our first time there, we thought we were correct. However, we passed a couple parking lots, and cars kept passing us. Is this a driving trail, or is it a walking trail? I still don't know, and after reading these reviews, I'm thinking it's a 4 x 4 road, but other reviews make it sound as if it's a walking trail. SO CONFUSED. We turned around after 2 miles in, because walking on a road, uphill, in blazing sunshine is not my favorite thing, nor do I consider it hiking. I will say there are beautiful views up there, and tons of wildflowers. There's even some water for pups to play in.

Maybe I'll go back, prowl around to sign some more, and see if there's actually a trail there. Until then, 2 stars for you, Jones Pass. If anyone has any clarification on this, please let me know.

Beautiful forest trail. The river has taken over the top end of it. Gorgeous foliage.

This hike is on a road the entire time and had a bit more traffic jam expected.

Monday, September 26, 2016

This is a beautiful trail... Was able to act like a kid climb rocks and there is a cute stream that follows...

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Great experience! There are sweeping mountain views galore, beautiful spruce forests, and old mines. We had no trouble navigating with our GMC Tahoe and saw many regular cars on the trail today.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Nice hike. Can't wait to come back with some skis!

Sunday, July 03, 2016

It was beautiful mountain! But we came at wrong time because of rainy and 45 degree. Very cold bit we had so much fun...

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Me and boyfriend visit this area at least a couple times a year. It's only a 20 min drive for us, we live in Clear Creek County. The 4x4 is not hard at all, I'd would say some passenger cars could make it up most days without any trouble but high clearance is always more ideal. The scenery is specatular and has a little bit of everything. Creekside, thick forest, and above timberline tundra. Wildflowers galore during the summer! When you get to the top, you are on the Continental Divide-One direction overlooks Silver Plume and Clear Creek, the other direction overlooks Grand County toward Winterpark. We have camped several times here, mostly in the fall for all the colors. I hear if you have a snowmobile, this is an excellent area for winter sports as such and amazing backcountry skiing. I have never not seen people on this road but I have never seen it overly crowded.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Great trail, biggest complaint is it is short for how well maintained it is. Views are great as well. Doesn't compare to similar trails like Webster pass and hall valley as the views and water features are more abundant. Higher altitude, lot above tree line which means it could be windy and stormy fast, trail with a snow capped upper section for majority of the year. We were blocked by snow drifts in October.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Just got back from an afternoon of snowshoeing, Sun was out with just a slight breeze. Trail was well defined and several cars in the parking lot, but only passed half dozen people on the trail. Went to Echo lake first, little snow and was ice packed so left and went to Jones Pass.

Friday, August 16, 2013

I actually hiked this off Herman's Lake trail. Hiked approx. 2.5 miles to the split at tree line and take trail to left with sign saying Jones Pass 5 miles. This trail had magnificent views of the surrounding mountains; including Torrey's and Grays peak's. It goes up to 13,252 feet in one place before descending to JonesPass. This was approx. a 16 mile hike round trip . The total rt elevation gain was approx. 5500'. I only saw 2 hiker's and 7 mountain biker's on this day almost all in a 5 minute window of each other. The rest of the time was complete solitude. Awesome! Several stream crossing's to refill water pack.

Monday, April 09, 2012

An easy 4 x 4 or ATV road -- Although even when I drove the road on my ATV, I could not drive over the pass due to a 20 foot snow bank. Beautiful wildflowers this trip. I was able to hike over the pass, find the benchmark on top, and get rewarded for the hike with an amazing view of the Divide.