Jasper Lake Trail

Jasper Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Nederaland, drive a little more than a quarter mile south on Colorado State Highway 119. Turn right (west) on County Road 130 which heads to the Eldora Ski area and beyond. About two miles beyond the turn off to the ski area you will pass through the town of Eldora where the road turns to gravel. Less than a mile further the road forks, either right towards Fourth of July Basin or left towards what is left of the town of Hessie (Elevation 9,000 feet). If you are equipped with a high clearance or four-wheel-drive vehicle, turn left - otherwise, turn around at the fork and as you are now headed back towards the town of Eldora, you will see where parking is allowed along the right hand side of the road.

Snowshoed on 1/1/19. Beautiful area and good amount of snow after a couple of miles. Not necessary in the first couple of miles.

Nice moderate hike with plenty of lakes and streams- although as a result probably not ideal during mud season... jasper lake was frozen but still beautiful.

A bunch of moose, a bunch of lakes

Beautiful! Nice fall hike featuring some golden aspens and a couple waterfalls. In the early morning it was a misty hike through a cloud, which I thought made the whole experience even cooler.

Ah, this was a great hike. I went with my dog last Saturday and we had a blast. Arrived at the trailhead around 7am. It was pretty busy but still over 10 spots available. I started on Hessie Trail and went to Lost Lake. After Lost Lake, I hiked on Devils Thumb for a few miles. We turned around about 2miles from Jasper Lake because we were short on time. Wish I could’ve made it to the lake because the weather was perfect. My Fitbit said we went 12miles. Not sure how accurate it is though. We got back to my car around 11ish. Lots of cars waiting for parking and crowds of people on the trail. Again, so glad we got there early and hope to go back to hike to the lake soon.

This was an awesome trail, be ready to climb. With an almost nonstop gain in elevation until you reach the lake this is definitely an awesome workout with views that make up for every step you climb. Check out my IG for pictures from the hike @alvarado_dan_

Gorgeous trail! So many different types of terrain. Loved the open meadow entering into Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. We got a permit and camped overnight at Jasper Lake - it was rainy and windy, but campsite 3 is pretty protected. Used our bear canister as recommended - didn't run into any wildlife other than squirrels and chipmunks. The lake is rather low, but the views were still pretty and the aspens are chainging for a beautiful, colorful site.

Great hike. Parking is kind of terrible but so is every other hike in CO. They do have a shuttle if you don’t feel like walking to the trail head (but you are there to hike??) we hiked from our parking spot on the road up to jasper lake and then probably another half a mile or so up to a waterfall. Really pretty. Highly recommend hiking up to the waterfall. For us it ended up being about 13 miles and 4,000 feet incline (according to the recording that all trails records)

Very rocky trail, too many people and a drained lake. It should be called a reservoir not a lake. People should be TOLD when getting a permit that the lake has been drained. Huge disappointment. (see pic of Jasper pond)

I usually love this hike but the lake was about half drained, almost no water.

Absolutely gorgeous hike with varied terrain. I arrived about 9am on Saturday and the trailhead was busy. Parking is very limited so I would suggest starting between 7 and 8am if you can. I noticed a shuttle taking people up to the trailhead but I'm not sure how often it runs or where the pick up/drop off location is. The bypass trail to Jasper lake was fairly dry. Not much snow until you got closer to the lake. Sometimes you find yourself maneuvering muddy sections or walking through a shallow stream. My feet stayed dry for the most part, wearing water resistant shoes. Highlight of the hike was sighting two moose. I can't wait to come back and do more exploring. Would highly recommend!

I haven't been on many hikes in Colorado yet, but this one is my favorite so far. Hiking all the way up to the lake is well worth it. There's a good mix of forest and meadows with lots of wildflowers. The elevation gain is gradual and not difficult at all. I've been able to do this hike a couple times already in tennis shoes. I highly recommend checking this one out if you haven't already!

My latest trip was on a Friday and I had no trouble finding parking along the side of the road at 7:30 AM...weekends and holidays are a different story. When in doubt, take the shuttle from Nederland (holidays and weekends in the summer I believe). I took the shuttle on the 4th of July and it was an excellent experience. It's FREE!

Everyone below is spot on, it’s very gravely in the beginning. Lots of family’s at the beginning too. Once you get up about a mile, it splits into a bunch of different directions. That’s when it gets good. I was very surprised how wet the trails was, so be warned. I had hiking boots, so I was good, my friend not so much! It’s gorgeous. It’s very green and worth it!

Trail has a lot of loose rocks makes it hard to keep footing up and down. Very steep in places. Moose, deer, bear all in the area. Wild flowers, amazing! Don't even bother with trying to park at Hessie trailhead on the weekends. The shuttle from Nederland is quick, comfortable and very convenient and best of all FREE.

Super beautiful, takes about 3hours to get there from the creek at hessie trail. Make sure to have pups on leashes

Lots of loose gravel.. trail splits into king lake and devils thumb

Such a beautiful lake! More and more wild flowers the higher you hike.
Campers need a permit.
Parking is limited.

Parking at Hessie Trailhead is always funky! Great hike to Jasper Lake with steady and not too bad grade up in elevation. Saw a moose!

This was an awesome trail. Did this hike about 3-4 weeks ago and it was very wet. Trail finding was also a bit difficult towards the top which definitely added about a mile into our hike each way. However it was totally worth it once we got up to Jasper Lake. Can’t wait to make it up to Devils Thumb lake later in the summer.

Beautiful hike. A little snow near the lake, but can easily navigate around, so won't be an issue. A lot of water on the trail, so bring appropriate footwear but otherwise free and clear. Not too strenuous a hike and has great views.

great trail

Despite a near constant (and most needed) deluge of rain, this was an awesome hike. If you are hiking here in rain be advised that the trail is effectively a running stream in many parts...so either wear waterproof footwear or submit to squishy socks as I did. There is a beautiful meadow about halfway up that in nicer weather would have been a great spot to take a break. Once you start having to walk over snowdrifts you know you are close to the lake.

Beautiful hike. Started at 8:30am. Took a little over 5 hours. Had a couple of rain showers that only lasted 5-10 minutes, not heavy downpour but more than a sprinkle. Took rain jacket so ok. Lots of rocks in the beginning, looks like a dried up creek bed until about mile 2. Will definitely hike this one again.

Started on the trail at 8:30am on a Friday. No many people on trail. Beautiful day. Caught a few light showers luckily we brought a rain jacket. Only lasted 10-15 minutes in the afternoon.

Very pretty hike! Parking is a bit tight but the trail didn’t have too many people on it, so if you don’t get there too early you can park a mile or so away and just walk to the trailhead

Beautiful day at Jasper lake! The trail is dry for ~ 2/3 of the way. Then we encountered many wet sections (think walking in a mini creek) and it was covered in snow for about the last 2km. Fortunately there was footprints in the snow so the trail was easy to follow. Jasper lake is half frozen. The scenery is worth the effort. Waterproof shoes recommended. Gaiters would have been nice too for the snow...

Backpacked to Jasper Lake on May 26th, 2018. Trail transitioned from mostly dry for the first two miles to completely snow covered for the last mile or so. Lots of mud and water on the trail in between. Snowshoes were not necessary to get up to Jasper, as most of the snow was hardpack, but there was still a bit of post-holing along the way. Waterproof shoes/boots are pretty much a must, and trekking poles with snow baskets were definitely very helpful. I also had gaiters on for the snowy section, and it helped keep my socks dry and free of snow. Spikes/traction devices were also not necessary, and probably would have been of little help in the soft spring snow. If going beyond Jasper, snowshoes might be useful, but I did not go past the lake. The lake is still mostly frozen over.

Backpacked to Jasper Lake 5/4-5/5. Awesome trail but difficult due to the amount of snow. Winter warning advisory was in full force. Def a snowshoe territory that week. Trail was difficult to find but AllTrails def helped a lot. Lake was frozen almost 100% . Not a soul in sight which made it so much more attractive. The route to the lake was for us traversing a few spine tingling traverse but made it to the 100% frozen lake finally and went home after two nights.

Awesome trail! Hiked to Jasper Lake on 5/13. Pretty difficult hike as about the last three miles to the lake still have quite a bit of snow and the trail is hard to find or stay on and there was a lot of postholing, the lake was still frozen but beautiful. Definitely recommend a map until the snow melts. One of my favorite hikes in Indian Peaks

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Great snowshoe hike and incredible views. Had the trail to ourselves despite bluebird skies and not so much wind. It is a doable hike for the snowshoe newbie but you will be tired after the 12+ mile out and back to the lake.