Jasper Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,011 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Nederaland, drive a little more than a quarter mile south on Colorado State Highway 119. Turn right (west) on County Road 130 which heads to the Eldora Ski area and beyond. About two miles beyond the turn off to the ski area you will pass through the town of Eldora where the road turns to gravel. Less than a mile further the road forks, either right towards Fourth of July Basin or left towards what is left of the town of Hessie (Elevation 9,000 feet). If you are equipped with a high clearance or four-wheel-drive vehicle, turn left - otherwise, turn around at the fork and as you are now headed back towards the town of Eldora, you will see where parking is allowed along the right hand side of the road.

flooded

Nice hike to lake though hard due to melting snow lower down and large snow drifts and fields last 1.5 miles or so. Very rocky trail so not terribly muddy; just very wet. Lake was mostly unfrozen. Probably snow is 4 weeks later than usual. Saw a moose. Many dogs without leashes; not all :). Many hikers did not have a mask available though it was usually easy to be 6 feet away. But not all the time. It’s the Boulder county law folks; wear a mask when you are less than 6 feet away. Yes, you may be young but you really don’t want to give it to someone who isn’t or who is otherwise at risk do you? If you don’t want have one on move off the trail.

Hiked up mid-day on 5/24 and after the meadow area be ready for a crazy amount of runoff and deep snow. Luckily able to walk over 80% of the snow but left numerous potholes in our wake, so the hike took much longer than expected. Camped overnight by the lake and it is a very pretty area. Saw one minx, a moose, and some mountain lion prints in the snow as well. Definitely recommend but only with waterproof boots and don’t be afraid to get muddy :)

Love this trail. Would go back in a heartbeat and camp. Parking is a nightmare but we waited at the top in our car and asked everyone leaving if they parked along the dirt road and got super lucky snagging a spot right by the end of the lane. The hike up to Jasper lake is beautiful. You go through steeper parts and some open space but totally worth it. The snow pack at the end mile was too much and it was easy to lose the trail but otherwise, one of my favorite. Will be back in a few weeks when the snow has melted some to camp and finish the rest of the series

Did this hike on 3/21/20 and it was packed down until the junction off to jasper. It was just me on the trail until near the end when I ran into a pair of hikers. I used snowshoes and was fortunate that two guys had skinned up to do some back country skiing the evening before. Found them camped out near the top but they hadn’t finished the path to the lake. I was exhausted by the time I reached them, so I didn’t make it the extra half mile to the lake (even with all of the elevation complete it was exhausting to make my own trail!). However, was one of the most peaceful and breathtaking hikes I’ve done in a looong while. I would highly recommend during the winter. Just know that it’s a lot of work and cross your fingers that someone has already laid down tracks for you.

icy

The trail is beautiful early on but ended up being covered with about 5/6ft unexpected snow throughout. It was hard to follow and we had to go off trail quite a bit. Hiking boots will not do the trick when keeping moisture out in this one. The whole trail was mostly snow shuffling and stepping in snow holes. Judging by the fact that it’s May and the snow isn’t melted yet, it seems like the best and only time to hit this trial would be late summer when the snow is melted. I’m sure it’s a lot more enjoyable and the trail is visible. If you want to attempt to do this trail bring SNOW SHOES and SPIKES. Be prepared.

flooded
icy

Suffering. What is suffering. I’ve grown up in Colorado and done my fair share of hiking. My buddy’s and I enjoy a challenge of incline and the reward of beautiful Colorado. We’ve hike plenty of trails including 14ers where we are starting around 8,000 feet. There’s a little bit of experience between us. This trail looked pretty, nice easy drive in to Eldorado, parking isn’t too bad but Hessie Trailhead is popular because of the devils thumb hikes and the many lakes it features. The start wasn’t bad, compact snow, mud, nothing to bad and beautiful flowing water as we were walking in. Then came the turn to jasper, at first it was fine, then the trail got worse, loose snow, blown out, water flowing on the trail but nothing we couldn’t handle. We kept going as we came prepared for spooky conditions. Then there was no trail and snow up to our belly buttons. I’m 6’2 and 155 pounds. We were sinking in with decent shoes like it was quick sand. We were a mile from the lake when one of my buddies foot went numb and that’s when we made the call to turn around. Then the rest felt the soon to be hypothermia begin to settle in to the toes. The sun ended up coming by up and we all had extra change of clothes socks so we were able to get on a rock and warm up before shit went even more south. The trail was horrible, would not advise anyone even if you are prepared to attempt during the spring, July and august would be acceptable but that is it. Snow, wet, spooky, gross, cold. Suffering.

Snow is pretty packed for about 3.5 miles and only spikes were needed. Also, there are a fair number of social and ski trails that make things a little confusing. After that, the trail is not readily visible and the snow got deeper and snowshoes and navigation skills were needed.

Went in May, there was too much snow to get all the way and it was really crowded with people. Seems like it would be a nice trail in the summer or fall though.

I agree with previous posters that Jasper Lake was largely underwhelming for the effort to get there. Devil's Thumb Lake was wayyyy better and not too much further. Also, the beautiful open meadow on the way made up for some of the disappointment at Jasper. I also agree that a majority of this trail felt like walking on a 4x4 road; very gravelly/rocky but not in the good or fun way. there was still lots of good scenery, but probably better hikes out there overall.

Trail was pretty rocky in spots. Jasper Lake was very unimpressive. The water level is very low, very dry. There’s pretty waterfalls at the beginning of the hike though.

Jasper lake was disappointing so I did the extra 2 miles to go out to the devils thumb which made it worth it.

Wow! I was blown away by the variety of views and landscapes this trail had to offer. I went south first and camped near King Lake—gorgeous area! And the few miles on the CDT were stunning. Highly recommended. Just make sure to get a permit!

Great trail but very crowded parking. We had to park at the edge of the town of Eldora which added a mile each way to the hike.

I'll start off by saying if you don't like rocky trails this one is not for you! If you go on a weekend and start after 6AM try to use the Park n Ride in Nederland (begins running at 8AM). This hike is definitely longer than 10.8 miles, I felt it was at least 12-13 and my friends tracker said it was around 14 roundtrip. The trail is well marked and is easy to follow. Some parts are muddy and wet but nothing impassable. There were many dogs and quite a few off leash which is not allowed in the Indian Peaks Wilderness area... I know some areas in the wilderness where rangers are serious about ticketing people with off leash dogs so just be warned if you let your dog off leash. We took our time getting to the lake and found a grassy area where we set up hammocks and a tent for the afternoon. We were not planning to spend a night so didn't have a permit. A ranger did come by asking if we were intending to camp overnight and if we had a permit. They also thanked us for having my dog on leash. If you plan to camp make sure you get a permit to avoid a ticket/fine. We made really good time ok the way down as it's mostly downhill. There are tons of loose rocks so just be careful as you go up and down! Overall this is a nice hike if you enjoy a little incline and lots of trees. The lake is nice but nothing too overwhelming.