Iron Chest Mine is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and off road driving and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,856 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Ran this trail in a FJ80 with lockers and 2.5” lift. Also in my group were two stock Rubicons. The boulder field right at the beginning was a fun challenge, we got through without much trouble. After the first few hundred yards the trail gets much easier and is moderate the rest of the way to the mine. Very narrow almost the whole way but we only came across two other Jeeps on the entire trail.

Great trail, unless there is snow. Or melting snow. Then it’s awful. Only accessible on foot in that case. Got to Iron Chest and went past it yo the Flag pole above it. Had to crawl on hands and knees to the top. Snow everywhere, 4-6 ft deep. Very dangerous. We were all glad we did it, but it was a struggle. Everyone with us is young and in extremely good shape. It’s just a steep climb when at the top.

Fri Aug 17 2018

A really nice hike with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and some old mining ruins. There were several ATV's on the trail but everyone I encountered was nice and we all shared the path well. As stated in other comments, the trail does get narrow at points if you are in a vehicle of any kind, but for hiking there is plenty of room.

Wed Aug 15 2018

UPDATE: FOUND!! After 18 days! SAFE!!! #BringBentleyHome There is a missing dog on this trail. He is a one yr old goldendoodle. He was ejected from a Jeep. . Please be on the lookout. This was a fatality and rollover down the mountain about 600 ft. At about 11000 ft. The family is from Kansas and desperately are hoping he can be found. He ran down the hill after the accident on 8/7

ohv/off road driving
Mon Jun 19 2017

I don't write reviews but I felt I must after taking my '15 Jeep Wrangler Rubi with wrangler mtr tires and a 2.5" lift up most of the way. First off, the first 3/4 ish mile is straight large boulders that will straight up hand you your ass. It was extremely difficult and I'm pretty sure I got a concussion from all the head banging (only traveling 1-2 mph). If you survive past that point, look forward to more random holders and a very tight trail. There are a few sketch spots (including one we had to cut a dead tree out of the path) that will make you strongly consider turning around until you realize you can't. Made it 3/4 of the way (almost to the old cabin on the left) until we were stopped by a giant snow drift that covered the whole trail coming from the left (the right side was a dropped). Parked the jeep and tried to hike more which was difficult through the snow. Amazing view from the top with some cool old buildings and equipment. The way down was just as treacherous until the bolder section which once again kicked my ass (and my jeep). Bottomed out a few times and struggles to get around some huge boulders. Once we finally reached the end we surveyed the damage which mostly included a scratched and dented up skid plate. One of my rims was also scratched and I'm having issues with my sway bar. Other than that it was alot of fun and definitely an experience I will never forget. Not for the feint of heart. Make sure you have a buddy to help you navigate from outside the vehicle.

Sat Jun 30 2012

The first quarter mile, or more, the trail was just boulders (some big, some small) that required extra time and care while crossing over. The entire hike to the mine was uphill and quite a steady grade (over 1,800' elevation gain), hence the "Demanding" rating. I mean, it is the Colorado mountains, what do you expect, right? Anyway, it's a nice trail and has some scenic views on the way. The mine is interesting and contains some old buildings and mining equipment that were left behind. It appeared that more trail wrapped around to the east and followed the ridge back north; however, I didn't have time to explore that extra route.

Thu May 26 2016