Iowa Hill

Iowa Hill is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 170 feet Route Type: Loop

I’d definitely rate this on the easier side of moderate, I could see it being more difficult if the ground was muddy or snowy though. It’s pretty cool seeing all the old mining equipment and reading the historical signs along the way.

Other reviews mentioned how difficult following the path was.....true statement. The trail isn’t “hard”, per day...:but it is pretty steep in areas. (Be careful for people with mobility issues or young children.) I did like The interpretative signs and old mining equipment. That made the trail interesting. But it’s not a super good trail. If you have some time, and are OK getting a little lost, give it a try. Otherwise, skip this.

Was great for the kids and they liked seeing the old mining equipment.

Nice trail. Hike with friends during Breck Arts Festival.

Probably should be labeled as an Easy hike; it's definitely on the easier side of Moderate. Did this with the family and only took about 40 minutes. There is some elevation gain but nothing intense. There are many mining relics with signs explaining the history of Colorado gold mining. Trail does branch in a few places so make sure you are staying of the path.

takes about an hour to wander through all the mining exhibit signs. still had a couple of muddy spots on the deeper, more shaded parts but they're easy to avoid and the rest of the trail is dry and clear

Sun Sep 09 2018

Cute little loop. As other have mentioned, it’s a nice stop&go walk with kids on the interpretive trail but the signage can get confusing. As long as you’re not in a rush and up for a little exploring, you can take a look down each trail offshoot... most have a neat learning board and mining artifact.

Thu Aug 16 2018

A great trail for kids which allows them to learn about a piece of Breckenridge's mining history. Overall a good hike with the trail switching between easy and easy-moderate terrain.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Close to town. Parking at trailhead if you get there early. It's a short hike but well marked with educational areas along the way describing the gold mining methods using water hydraulic equipment.

Wed Jul 25 2018

I would not recommend this for families. My husband and I thought we would take our 2,4,6,8 and grandparents on this easy .6 hike. We intended to do a trail run first and scope it out. Right from the start it’s a pretty steep grade that never really flattens out. The signage is confusing. Still don’t understand what is .6 because we did a loop that was just under a mile... 1/2 of which way all up hill. Not that interesting of a mining scene relative to sites if seen before. I give it 3 stars because it was a good workout and great views of Breck but not for little kids.

Thu Jun 28 2018

Took the grands, 11, 9, 6, 5, and 4 for a great little hike. It's a short hike but lots of old gold mining equipment to see. Interpretive signs are posted all along the trail.

Sat Jun 16 2018

We went on the trail with 3 years old and 5 years old. They did great and enjoyed the hike very much. We finished in about 1.5 hours with stop and go pace. Great trail for kids with many old mining structure along the way.

Tue Jun 05 2018

Nice trail for kids. Quick and fun historical facts. It was a little steep for my 4 year old but my 8 and 11 year olds loved it.

Sun Nov 05 2017

Great trail to do with the kids. At some points it was confusing on which way to go and we ended up in a subdivision. Amazing views! Over all we would do it again!

Thu Jul 13 2017

Short hike with easy accessibility. Lots of old mining artifacts. Nice little walk close to town!,

Mon Jul 03 2017

A little climbing. Lots of mining equipment.

Sat Jun 03 2017

This is hike is like a walking outdoor mining museum. It's a great kid hike, too, because it's easy, and there are numerous interesting mining items spread throughout the hike.

Sun Oct 09 2016

Its very hight, long and steep

Fri Oct 07 2016

Short hike with some interesting mining sights.

Fri Sep 30 2016

Another nice one to break in the kids that aren't used to anything like this. Less than 2 miles round trip, basically an up and down, with cool old mining ruins. Beautiful view and beautiful section of the woods but a drop in the bucket compared to what the surrounding areas have to offer

Tue Jul 19 2016

A lot more climbing than we expected.

Sat Jun 21 2014

This was the first trail I hiked with my family in Breckenridge to become acclimated to the new elevation (we came from just above sea level a few days earlier). The trail was well marked up until we got to the road where there were many private houses. It took us about 30 minutes to get up to this road, while stopping every so often. I recommend this hike for anyone looking for something simple to hike in the morning. There’re some points of interest along the way and some history while you walk up the ridge.

Thu Sep 05 2013

Hiked this in the fall so the aspens were beautiful against the blue sky. Easy hike but fun to learn about the mining that created Breckenridge.

Sat Jun 15 2013

Good interpretative trail with old mining exhibits and explanation.

Thu Jun 28 2012

If I had an interest in early mining I may have enjoyed it more. As it is, I learned a few tid bits about the local mining history. Sadly, it seems many worked hard to make a few rich. The hike itself was easy and brief: 30 minutes to complete in addition to reading the interpretive signs.

Fri Sep 23 2011

cool, recreated mining relics and cabin at top of hill. just across from school on airport road. good trail running, or one for the tourists. need snowshoes after snow falls