Ice Lake Basin Trail

Ice Lake Basin Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Ice Lakes trail has two common destinations, lower and upper. The upper basin is surrounded by awesome peaks. Vermillion, Fuller, Pilot knob and Golden Horn are climbed from this basin. Amazing blue/green lakes, late season wildflowers, moderately strenuous hike to creekfalls and waterfalls too.

My favorite hike!

Did ice lake and island lake on Nov. 24th. The lakes were almost complete frozen, but the view was still astounding! Bits of snow in the woods, a lot of packed snow on top. Brought microspikes which were really helpful, wouldn’t need snow shoes though. Will definitely come back in summer!

I started on the trail at 7:45 AM, and it took me a total of 5.5 hours to complete: 3 hours up, 2 hours down, with 30 minutes in the middle to rest at the lake. In early November I was the only person on the trail, making for a slightly nerve-wracking experience on the way up but a very serene one at the top. There was a decent amount of snow and ice at higher altitude, but with my YaxTrax I was fine. I recommend this hike as a way to push yourself out of your comfort zone - it's a very difficult climb but well worth it!

Amazing!

Beautiful all-around hike. Pretty strenuous/steady uphill climb, especially the last 1000 ft. But definitely worth it! Spikes (or some type of traction) required at this point.

Hard hike. Beautiful hike. 65 years old and took me almost 8 hrs up and down. Ice lake was still not frozen but island lake was mostly frozen over. Trail was icy in spots.

Tough incline in the way up but the icy waterfalls and streams along the way were just as beautiful as the final destination! We brought layers and striped down pretty quick, didn’t need as many as we thought.

Hiked this the second week of October on a beautiful sunny day. Made it to ice lake in about 3 hours with several short stops to catch our breath along the way. Started here:

Ice lakes trailhead
37. -773, 806 WA-107, Durango, CO 81301

The first 1/3 winds uphill and can be strenous at times. The second 1/3 is mostly flat as you hike along the lower ice lake basin. The last 1/3 is the toughest, with a steady, steep incline, but is worth it once you reach ice lake. We started around 10 AM and the air was crisp, but I was comfortable with 3 layers - flannel, sweatshirt, and light wind jacket - along with jeans and knee high socks. I was down to just the flannel by the end of the first 3rd and stayed that way the rest of the hike.

We ate lunch at ice lake and decided not to continue to island lake. Instead, we hiked back down the way we came, which took about 2.5 hrs with a few short breaks. It was killer on the quads, so beware of wobbly legs and take breaks to avoid unsteadiness.

I'm not a regular hiker but in decent shape (run 2 miles a few times a week) and was fine with breaks. Bring plenty of water.

Hard but so beautiful. Went to Island Lake, also. Not as spectacular as Ice Lake, but beautiful. Trail to Island Lake was a bit sketchy in two places. Hiked it on September 20. We were blessed with sunny warm weather.

Amazing hike with great views. It is literally uphill the entire way so be prepared. We also headed over to Island Lake (it had a section of trail that washed out so it was kinda scary/steep for a tiny bit of the hike to island lake). We did 7.3 miles total for us and 6 hours with a serious break at ice lake for some lunch/enjoying the views!