Ice Lake Basin Trail

Ice Lake Basin Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Ice Lakes trail has two common destinations, lower and upper. The upper basin is surrounded by awesome peaks. Vermillion, Fuller, Pilot knob and Golden Horn are climbed from this basin. Amazing blue/green lakes, late season wildflowers, moderately strenuous hike to creekfalls and waterfalls too.

Has anyone done this recently and know the snow conditions?

So beautiful! This is one of the most beautiful areas in Colorado, and this hike is a great way to get to know the area. The hike is long and steep, but epic. Camp along the trail, or near the trail head. Do yourself a favor and get out and enjoy this hike.

This is an awesome hike for sure. Did this one in Sept. of 2011. I started my hike from the first switchback along the Clear Lake road though. There's space for like 3-4 cars. Cut off some mileage and some elevation. The trail is steep for sure on the lower first part. Ice Lake has that incredible blue color like Columbine Lake. Beautiful. I bushwhacked up to a saddle NW of the lake with a view down Waterfall Canyon on the Ophir side. Incredible views all around. Then skirted across a scree field and down a ridge to Island Lake. Tried to summit V2 from the saddle north of Island Lake, but time was running out. I came back down to Island Lake on the faint trail that is there, and it is super steep. Kept slipping. When I got back to Island lake I followed the trail that goes from this lake to Ice lake and then back to my truck on the same trail I came up. Would do this hike again!!

Beautiful trail. Was definitely worth the effort. Probably the most beautiful trail I've ever done. We also hiked to Island lake which was also amazing. If you hike to Island Lake be prepared for a tough hike, was a bit dangerous in a few spots. My wife and I hiked around the whole lake, even though there is no trail around Island lake. Will try to hike to Fuller Lake next time around.

Amazing !! So worth it

Climbing straight up, pretty strenuous, beautiful lakes at the top. Amazingly blue.

Hard as a motha', but worth it in the end.

This was such a beautiful hike. There were flowing streams, crisp waterfalls, and steep terrain. I do think that the distance is off. I wore a tracker and we had traveled 2.7 miles by the time we arrived to the first lake, which is not the beautiful blue lakes. Then we trekked another 1.5 miles to get to the coral blue lake and there were more beyond that. So the hike out took almost 3 hours, with a snack break. The hike back took 2hours .

This is my favorite hike yet. Absolutely stunning. Very hard but worth every step. Definitely visit Island Lake as well.

Beautiful trail but very hard. Elevation gain and high altitude make it a challenge. Pack weight was around 55lbs.

Amazing views and would recommend going to island lake.