Ice Lake Basin Trail

Ice Lake Basin Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Ice Lakes trail has two common destinations, lower and upper. The upper basin is surrounded by awesome peaks. Vermillion, Fuller, Pilot knob and Golden Horn are climbed from this basin. Amazing blue/green lakes, late season wildflowers, moderately strenuous hike to creekfalls and waterfalls too.

13 seconds ago

Let me tell you. My best friend and I have hiked all over New Zealand, Iceland, and Colorado and this hike was by far the most majestic yet. We were fatigued from doing a 14er the day before, but we were able to push it to the top and enjoy both Ice Lake and Island Lake before the afternoon light rain showers rolled in. We started at about 10:00am on a Saturday and the lot was full, but the weather was great all day! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Sooooo blue

Wish I could have stayed the night!!

Amazing scenic views. It was our first hike at this altitude and it took us 8 hours to complete it but it really worth it. Make sure you take plenty of water and snacks. Might get really cold at the lake and weather change from hot to rainy and cold quick. Enjoy it!!

What an absolutely stunning hike! My friend and I got a great campsite in South Mineral Campground and spent seven hours hiking up and back down the trail to and from island lake, stopping for pictures constantly.
Make sure to bring enough snacks and water, and maybe moleskin.

Such a beautiful trail. Went on Sunday before school started and got on the trail around 2pm. Maybe saw 20 people the whole time, and lots of kids with their parents! Always a treat to see little ones on the trail. The first mile was pretty easy but that second mile before the meadowy area was pretty steep and a butt kicker. After the meadows, the trail up to the first lake (where we only made it to due to time) was pretty steep as well but boy was it worth it! Did about 7 miles and would definitely do it again.

Most beautiful lake- breathtaking views the entire trail!

The lakes and views are beautiful & the wildflowers were incredible!! But prepare for lots of people. We left super early and were the first ones up to ice and island lakes. Folks started piling in a little later and we started counting the people we passed on the way out: 268!!! Keep in mind this was around 10:30 am on a Wednesday, wow! I can't imagine the traffic on a weekend. As for the trip itself, hiking was steep but not too bad, about 4 hours round trip. Weather was on and off rain-definitely need to be prepared for inclement weather when at that elevation. Good luck!

Best trail, beautiful during summer, but be prepared for the height

Absolutely beautiful and worth the time. Start early. We arrived at the parking lot at about 7am and it was nearly full. My husband had our toddler in a carrier pack and he did not have any issues. Be prepared for some mud and stream crossings. Our feet did get a little wet. There were a lot of people coming up the trail as we were heading down - around 11 or 12. I would not recommend starting late like that - the trail got a bit crowded and these people, no doubt, got caught in some rain. Enjoy, the wildflowers were unbelievably beautiful and the lake as blue as the pictures look!

Gorgeous. Hard. Take layers for weather.

The view of Ice Lake is worth every step! Beautiful... Steep climbs in several places with spectacular waterfall and mountain views.