For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Huron Peak via North Huron Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.0 mi Elevation gain 3,405 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

One of Colorado's 14ers. Great, easy to follow trail. Need 4x4 to get to the top trailhead.

No restrooms but camping all along the way and small parking area at the trailhead.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

Directions from Leadville: From Leadville travel south on U.S. Highway 24 to Granite. Continue driving 1 1/2 miles to Clear Creek road (Forest Road 390) in Chaffee County. Travel west 12 miles to Winfield then approximately 1/2 mile south on forest Road 390 (south fork) to the parking area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (557)
Photos (475)
Recordings (423)
Completed (999)
Rick Apicella Jr.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

Beautiful hike and definitely worth the view at the top. Dogs did great too. Get going early as we had heavy traffic both ways starting a little before 7am.

Bradley Wanner
View Bradley's Recording
George LaCava
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

We left the 4wd trailhead at 710, a bit behind schedule. 6am is probably your best bet to miss the heavy traffic on the way back down. Beautiful hike, difficult but doable at a steady pace. You'll want poles at least for the hard Scrabble back down from the top.

View George's Recording
Claudia Pohl
View Claudia's Recording
Chris H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

Strenuous trail. Don’t let the mileage fool you as there is 1000ft of vertical gain per mile. If you hike the 14ers regularly this will be less of a challenge than some dt class2 status. Coming from low altitudes plan at least a day or more acclimation. If you are not a pro plan 1-1.25 miles per hour average and that’ll give plenty of time for breaks in the basin to soak in the beauty and at the summit for photos. Plan to be below the trees by 1 to reduce risk of lightning strikes. From the basin up it’s very strenuous. The steps out of the basin and the switch backs through the top are tough(if you consider yourself a moderate vs pro). As many reviews state this trail may be barely a 14er but the views are unbeatable. Nothing man made can be seen in any direction. While in the summit a bomber flew through the valley below those of us at the summit at that moment. Put it on your list, get in shape carry plenty of water and snacks to replenish your muscles. Dried fruit gels or something w high carb count. You’ll be glad you did. Coming from 700 ft elevation after 1.5 days acclimation we did it w long breaks in the basin and at the summit in 6:40. Not trying to set any records and taking lots of photos along the way.

Cindy Tse
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Cindy's Recording
Jerry Judkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Hiked this on 8/2. Beautiful scenery once you get above treeline. Our favorite of the 6 fourteeners that we've done so far! Really easy trail to follow even in the dark. Trail is moderately steep, with a flat section at the beautiful alpine meadow before the final climb, but very manageable with the switchbacks. We started out at 5AM, and glad that we didn't start later. Only a half dozen folks at the summit at 8AM, but a constant stream of hikers coming up as we descended (=busy). Quite a few dogs on the trail: great trail for them with no sharp rocks and no aggressive rock hopping. The road to the 4WD trailhead is pretty narrow (esp. trees), but I saw a Ram 2500 up there. The last "Mudhole!? Slimy!? My home this is!" is fairly deep, but there were two late, model Outbacks that made it to the 4WD trailhead. Zero issues with our stock 4Runner TRD.

Julianna Allen
View Julianna's Recording
Matty Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great trail that begins in a beautiful river valley. I walked up the 4wd road starting at about 8am. The trail begins with a bunch of switchbacks through a heavily wooded forest, then opens up to high alpine meadow. You can see exactly where you’re going which makes it feel a little easier than other 14ers. No false ascents, just a bunch of climbing up switchbacks. Easy places to rest along the way and esp at the top before doing a final climb through the boulders. Gorgeous views across to 3 Apostles, Lake Anne, and all around.

Sarah Janci
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingGreat!

Hiked this on 8/1/20. The road to the trailhead gets very rough at the 4WD portion, recommend having really good clearance if you want to try it. Saw a sedan attempt it and it didn’t look like it faired very well on the way down. The trail itself is very straightforward - steep, easy to follow and no false summit. What you see is what you get. The summit was incredibly crowded and I personally liked the space and views down just before tree line. Definitely recommended for anyone just getting started with hiking 14ers.

Siobhan Labbett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful day, hike was great, trail easy to follow. Vistas were stunning. Started at 5:45 and was very very busy. Weekdays would be better for sure.

View Siobhan's Recording
Robin Beck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
View Robin's Recording
Scott Ward
Hiking

My 16 year old daughter and I arrived at the 2WD parking area on Wednesday night and looked at the 4WD road and decided to chance it rather than walk an extra 4 miles - 2 each way. We were in a Subaru Outback and had no problem (but our teeth were clenched a couple times) getting within 50 yards of the Huron Trailhead. We were glad for our decision. We car camped there. We set out with headlamps at 5:30 am. The trail was easy to follow. The hike consisted of 4 distinct sections: 1. The switchbacks through the pine forest 2. The relatively flat bowl with lots of flowers 3. The switchback climb up to the ridge 4. The steep Rocky section before the summit. We saw and heard lots of Pikas. It was chilly before the sun came over the ridge particularly when the wind came up but we had good layers, hats and gloves. It took us just over 3 hours to get to the summit. Great views from there particularly of the Apostles - North Apostle, Ice Mountain and West Apostle. Saw lots of people with dogs and some young kids on the trail. Beautiful views with not too much effort. It took us just over 2 hours to get down to our car.

Jessica Chonlahan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Would recommend esp for novices. Great views! Challenging at the end but easy to find trail

View Jessica's Recording
Eddie Leadingham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Great workout! great 14er. I only drove a 1/2 mile up the 4wd road with my Ford escape. I think I could have made it but a couple spots would have been sketchy. The 1.5 miles to the official trail head is a great warmup though.

View Eddie's Recording
David Hays
Hiking

Beautiful hike. Wildflowers everywhere above timberline before the steep switchbacks. Nearly perfect weather yesterday, 7/29. We hit the summit and among the 12 or so people there we had three celebrating their birthday. It’s relatively short, 3.5 miles from the trailhead, but definitely uphill!

Eric Keen
Hiking

Lovely 14er that's still very doable as a day hike even if you decide to park at the lower 2WD trailhead. Steep approach but great views of the Apostles to keep you company on the ascent. The summit is spectacular. I think La Plata is slightly prettier and definitely more accessible (12 miles on this dirt road took quite a while), but overall this is a great 14er.

Candace Jost
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Awesome 14er trail - even with a cloudy, cold, and foggy day. Started at the lower trailhead and walked the 2 miles up the 4 wheel drive road. It’s a good little jaunt to warm up the legs for the fairly steep hike up through the trees to tree line. The meadow was incredible and the climb up the rocks at the end was a fun finish! Sadly, it was so cloudy we couldn’t see anything from the top, but I would happily do this trail again!

Katie Bries
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020

One of my favorite 14ers so far, the views were incredible! We drove to the trail in a truck and, after seeing the first part of the 4wd road, elected to park at the 2wd trailhead. It added mileage to the hike, but it was easy hiking to the 4wd trailhead. We're not big on 4wd roads, but we both thought we would have been able to make it. The first part of the road looked the most challenging and it was tamer after that with a few places to park short of the 4wd trailhead.

Amy Ruebeck
Great!MuddyRockyScramble

The juice is worth the squeeze!

Dan Behringer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

As far as day hikes go, there isn’t anything better than Huron Peak. There are places and hikes that are different, but none better (for a point of reference I’ve done Glacier NP, Zion, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mt. Rainer, etc.) Today was my second time up this trail and it was just as I remembered. The trail is well defined and easy to follow. Once out of the tree line the trail opens into a heavenly alpine meadow with wild flowers and pikas barking at you the whole way up. Near the top it becomes rocky with some technical scrambles but nothing unmanageable. The views are spectacular. I hiked today with my wife, two sons, 13 and 14 and a 19 year old. All were able to complete it without too much of an issue. The sign by the trail head said 3.2 miles but my Garmin said 7.4 round trip. Take it for what it’s worth.

David Davis
HikingGreat!Muddy

My first trip up Huron. I was a little concerned about the descriptions of the 4WD road being rough and narrow and so I did not know whether to take my 4WD Tundra or my CRV. Had no problems at all driving the Tundra to the end of the 4WD road - it isn't too narrow for a full size pickup. There are extensive options for boondock camping all along it. I would have made it in the CRV as well but possibly would have damaged it a little. On this road is difficult to find a spot that will allow 2 vehicles to pass. I made sure to be going in in the morning and out in the afternoon, not vice - versa. Rained almost all day but the trail was passable and it was a good workout. There is a wonderful basin about half way up with a small pond and RIDICULOUS flowers. The enjoyable perfume of the tundra wafts to you there, even while moving down the trail at a good clip, and the pikas add a music to it all. Although not necessary, I used microspikes at the top and had an easier time negotiating the mud in the steep areas. If you have spikes I would bring them for rainy days on Huron.

Shelly Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

This was a beautiful hike! The views are amazing! I may be starting to have a respect for heights. One portion near the top is a little steep but manageable. Did make for a few little twinges. Overall my Runtastic said 7.5 miles but started in the 4x4 trailhead.

Patricia O'Connor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

This a glorious 14er that offers jaw-dropping views. I picked a perfect day -- sunny, cool at the start (7 a.m.) and not much wind at the top. I drove my Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV to the trail head. That forest road has lots of dips and rocks, but my SUV made it through just fine. Above the aforementioned meadow (from other comments), you really start gaining elevation on the switchbacks, so be prepared to rest and enjoy the vista. The final rocky ascent tests your will and physical fortitude. Despite two dogs on leash and my Baby Boomer status, we summited in 3 hours. For a Monday, there were a lot of people on the trail -- probably 25 people on top. But I certainly couldn't blame them for picking the day as the rest of the week looks rainy. I might add, the entire trail was dry and in great shape. The old Rocky Mountain goat near the top was an added attraction. The billy wasn't too concerned about the hikers, who were wonderful in keeping a safe distance and keeping the spirits up for those ascending the mountain. Finally, my fitbit recorded the hike at around 4.25 to the top, not the 3.5.

Paul Maes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful views with a beautiful gully. Overall a easy hike.

View Paul's Recording