Huron Peak via North Huron Trail

Huron Peak via North Huron Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

One of Colorado's 14ers. Great, easy to follow trail. Need 4x4 to get to the top trailhead.

Gorgeous views and well maintained trail. Super popular too and pretty easy for a fourteener. You need a high clearance 4wd vehicle to get to the trailhead unless you want to add about 6 miles to the hike.

One of the prettiest 14er climbs I’ve done. Really amazing views. One of the best maintained 14er trails I’ve seen too, bottom to top. As always, get started early. See too many folks starting too late in the day when afternoon lightning is a danger. Definitely need good clearance 4x4 to get to upper trailhead. Recommend camping in the plentiful dispersed campsites along the road to trail. Magnificent outdoors experiences.

My first 14er and it was tough but rewarding. Hiked it with my dad and we both loved it. Switch backs seemed never ending on the way down. Beautiful views all the way up and the summit is so rewarding!

Just finished today and the views are incredible!

Stunningly beautiful hike. The 4WD road can be scary for beginner 4x4 drivers (like me), but it's very doable if you go slowly and pick your line carefully. 4WD and at least 8" clearance are a must for that road.

The hike starts with a series of switchbacks in the woods, then crosses a beautiful basin, then ascends across many switchbacks up the side of the mountain, and finally ascends a steep, rocky boulder field. It's very doable, though challenging for beginner 14erers, yet oh so worth it at the summit. Probably the most beautiful 14er summit I've seen.

This was my first 14er, and I think it’s a great one to start with for beginners. Elevation gain is steep in parts, but not unbearable. Really amazing views, even if you don’t summit. There’s a beautiful meadow at about 12,500 ft.
ABSOLUTELY NEED 4-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE! You can get to Winfield ok without, but not much farther unless you want to hike a few miles to the trailhead. The last couple miles to the trailhead are full of large rocks, uneven surface, some deep holes and an occasional stream. Plenty of spots along the road to pull off and park/camp.

So beautiful and my favorite 14er so far! The wildflowers were so pretty and there was a water fall to the right as your hiking up to summit. Nice clean non rocky trail the most of the way. Then just 5 to 10 minutes before the summit was boulder field.
Amazing and recommend for a first 14er!

Well maintained and easy to follow trail straight to the summit. Beautiful Amazing Views. Great Hike. Worth a repeat anytime. Note the trail head road you will need good AWD/4WD with good ground clearance!

Amazing amazing amazing. Views are surreal. Climb is a good burn. Excellent trail. Will gladly do this one again.

I couldn't recommend this one enough! The road is rough for sure. 4x4 is needed and I still bottomed out once or twice (Not hard at all). The trail is manicured incredibly and has better maintenance than any of the 14'er trails I've done. EPIC views from up top! This one is a GREAT trail for the dogs. It only gets really rocky for the last 1/2 mile of the push. You gain quite a bit of vertical feet on this one. Somewhere around 3500 ft. The heat and the dust on the return trip were less than ideal, but you can't do much about the weather conditions. I went through 3L of water myself and my dog went through 1.5L due to the severe heat and lack of wind. Awesome day on the trail.

Hiked this June 7th and it took us about 2.5 hours to get to the top. It was difficult but so worth it! Needed a Jeep to get to the top trailhead. Only saw two other groups hiking the whole time! Absolutely beautiful! Needed hiking boots and most of the snow was melted.

Absolutely beautiful. Would highly recommend starting from the trailhead as opposed to the entrance of the 4x4 road. This is a long hike and I clocked 7 miles roundtrip starting from the upper trailhead.

Trail is open to summit. Hit some small snow patches about a mile in the woods. There was one decent snow field about 3/4th a mile from summit if hiked after mid day you will definitely hit a few spots where you post hole. Not enough to bring snow shoes or even need micro spikes. Have fun!

Summited this early September as my first fourteener and it is one of my favorite hikes to date. I camped at one of the sites along the road to the trailhead and met our group at the trailhead the next morning. Definitely needed a 4wd vehicle with some ground clearance to drive up to the "official" trailhead. First half of the hike was tree covered which kept temps cool. Second half was mostly above treeline. There was a great flat section midway through with a lake perfect for cooling off. The dogs in our group took advantage of this. Switchbacks lead up to the final ascent which is a pretty challenging but well marked scramble over loose rocks. Views from the top are prime! Overall a moderately difficult hike as far as fourteeners go.

Completed this hike in the middle of September. Arrived at the trailhead around 5:00am and enjoyed stunning views of the open night sky and heavy silence all around. To be clear, I parked my car about a half mile away from the official trailhead. I think I may be too cautious with my vehicle as I noticed other cars with lower clearance at the trailhead upon my return, but parts of the road about are pretty gnarly so use your discretion. Hiking up the road in the dark was great- a family a deer revealed themselves as glowing eyes and then rather quietly and quickly bounced away. The trailhead begins in the woods and offers beautiful and lush pine growth. It climbs steadily for some time before emerging from the tree line. Once past the tree line, there is a brief reprieve from the climb as the trail flattens out and offers great view as you look back towards the direction you came. Good spot to take a break. The wind was really kicking up at this point without any shelter from the trees and even though the sun had risen, overcast skies and below freezing temperatures made this a bitterly cold ascent at times. The final hump is more steep travel as you can imagine, and from the shoulder is probably another hour or so to the summit. Patches of snow and ice dotted the trail on the way up. The summit is absolutely beautiful offering views of many ranges all around you. The wind was quite intense up there, so be prepared. The whole trip took me about 7 hours.

Very challenging hike. Our first 14,000 footer , it was so incredible and beautiful.

Tough hike, especially below the tree line where there isn’t much reward. Started at around 5:15 and gained the summit at a bit after 8. Great view of the Apostles.

Scenic hike. Started hailing and snowing around 8am and it got slippery at the top with strong winds. Be prepared for any weather conditions.

This was my first 14er, and I really enjoyed it! The views were awesome.

7 Miles to be more exact... difficult at the top as it is quite steep and slippery, more difficult on the way down. it was actually snowing on the way down. I was just under 6 hours.

Super scenic! Took about 2 hours to summit, and got snowed on at the top! The skies parted and revealed the awesome view of the surrounding peaks.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

I would recommend trying to get up to the actual trailhead, unlike us. Otherwise, when you get to the bottom, you realize you have to still walk back to your car two miles away, which is prettyyyyy torturous. Other than that it was a gorgeous hike. Definitely, some scrambling to get to the top and I wished I had hiking poles at many different times. BUT the view was so worth the pained knees!

Friday, August 04, 2017

It was a fairly challenging hike with breath taking views.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Trail is well-marked. Our 2001 4Runner handled the 4x4 road to the trailhead with ease, although it was slow going in spots, but we didn't have to worry about clearance. Took us 3 hours to summit and 2 hours to descend; we took our sweet time on this hike since the weather was good and the scenery was glorious - abundant wildflowers, ptarmigan, pika, and marmots. The trail ascends gradually, but has a few steep(ish) spots near the summit; this was more of a problem going down, and we're glad we took our trekking poles. This would be a good "First 14er" for a reasonably fit person living in CO (I'd hesitate taking my 60-yr old mom who lives in GA, despite her being healthy and active).

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Hiked on July 19. We had great weather the entire way. Left the trailhead at 5am and sat at the top for about an hour, hardly any wind at all and very sunny at the summit by close to 9am. After arriving at the flat meadow part at the face of the mountain it took us about two hours more from that point. Our total ascent time was 2 hours 45 mins with lots of stops along the way. 360 view at the top. Get an early start! T-storms came in soon after we got back to the trailhead.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Question: people keep saying high clearance to make it to the 4wd parking lot. We have a Nissan Armada, it does have 4wd, will it's clearance be enough? Thank you!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Great hike. Started from 2nd trailhead - definately need a 4WD to get up there. Trail climbs about 1000ft/mile, so pretty steep. Mostly dry, just a couple melting snowfields in the meadow above treeline before starting the climb up the summit. No need for traction devices or gaters. Tracker says 6.3 miles roundtrip.
Perfect blue sky day at the summit
(If you don't have 4WD park at lower trailhead. Total hike will be around 11miles)

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

A nice workout. Great veiws.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Wonderful trail! Well maintained, with a great variety of scenery. Surrounded by trees at the beginning (gets steep there, but don't give up!) Then you reach a meadow with beautiful flowers and marmots above treeline. Rock field at the top is challenging and steep, but SO worth it at the top. Wonderful hike!

Friday, April 28, 2017

We got a mid morning start and ran into an early afternoon lighting storm. The storm came in from the west and horseshoed around us we were attempting to take shelter on the easterly shoulder below the final summit approach. Lightning zapped every lower peak around us and then moved on. Be smarter than us and start early enough to be off the summit by early afternoon. Great mountain!