Hunters Lake Loop

Hunters Lake Loop is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Creede, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The road to the trail is in good shape and easy to find. We went clockwise around the trail. The first two miles are pretty well maintained and easy to distinguish the trail. The climb up to the top, going in that direction, can be strenuous as the trail is very narrow in parts and is loose. I’d say it would be a challenge to descend that way, too. Once to the top the trail is all but non-existent for about a mile or so as the tall grass and downed trees have obliterated in parts. We ended up having to use the gps from this app to ensure we were maintaining the right course. After we got back on track it was a nice hike down the mountain. There is a point near the end of the loop that the trail itself clearly goes off the marked route from this map. We didn’t know where that went so we actually stuck to the course and had some trouble with downed trees and the disappearing trail again. The trail doesn’t fork in real life like it does on this map. I suspect the trail has been relocated and the map doesn’t keep up. All that being said, the scenery was beautiful and I’d do it again with my kids this time.

Scenic and nice little hike. Fair amount of blown over trees on the trail and trail is very very lightly used / difficult to see in more grassy areas but doable. Did lose the trail the last half mile (went counter clockwise on the loop) and ended up hiking an extra mile so just be heads up. Overall great views of a lake, alpine meadows and some distant peaks. Road up to trail head was dry and clear. A little clearance may be needed (I drive a Silverado with standard clearance) as there are some dips in the road that'd make me nervous in a car.

Great little trail. Have seen moose here several times. Sadly the forest fire we had a few years ago, went around this area, so the view isn't as good as it once was, but it's still a beautiful trail.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Really nice short day hike with lots of different scenery. Best to have a high clearance vehicle to reach the trail head.

Saturday, July 21, 2012