Hunter Valley Trail

Hunter Valley Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Aspen: From north Mill Street turn left onto Red Mountain Road and follow to Hunter Creek Road (1.3 miles from Main Street). Go right for .3 miles, then left up a hill into the Hunter Creek Trail parking lot.

We loved the pretty views on this trail! Very rocky on the first half of the trail, so proper footwear is a must!

This was a fun trail! I didn't complete it due to not carrying water and wanted to keep my run short. Definitely rocky in some areas. But can't wait to come back and do the entire trail probably hiking. This was my first trial run and the altitude kicked my butt!

Up Hunter Creek was a delight for an urban community. There were boardwalks where wetlands needed protection and several bridges crossing the creek. Heavy use speaks well of the community's commitment to to outdoor activities. Coming down Smugglers Road was not very exciting. The bottom of the route was not well marked back to the trailhead.

Easily accessible from downtown Aspen. Head up hunter Valley first, then down Smuggler for about a ~4 mile alt. Route that finished right down Aspen with great views of Aspen mountain at the end for your reward

Great and beautiful hike. Easily accessible from Aspen town. Went up smuggler in the hot sun with two kids (10 and 12) which was difficult but the rest was very enjoyable.

Great trail - and good connections to a network of trails.

This is a really nice hike. It can't be beat for convenience as it starts right in town and immediately ascends up along a forested creek. The initial ascent is steep but the climb is much more gradual once the trail reaches the valley floor. It then winds through meadows interspersed with aspen and pine groves. The views both upvalley and downvalley are expansive and mountainous. I did it as an out and back, going all the way to the end of the 1992 trail.

Beautiful scenery up the Hunt trail. Many areas that are unclear where to trail goes once you get past the Hunt split. Stay to the right once you get to the Hunt trail cut off stay on this upto the Iowa mine shaft site. Then contniue to the smugglers road. I felt it was rather unclear but there are several map locations. Only issue is trails are called slightly different than what all maps say.

I would definitely do it again it was a nice moderate afternoon hike with beautiful views. Definitely not a hard hike but lots of steps up to the cut off. Easy easy from there on.

A lovely hike right on the edge of Aspen. From this, you can access a whole network of trails.

Lovely loop through the valley. Nice river views and a nice outlook of the roaring valley. I'd call it moderate to easy.

My preference for doing this loop is up Hunter Creek and down Smuggler. Hunter Creek Trail is very bouldered and has quite a few big steps. I find my footing is much better ascending rather than descending this trail. It stays close to the creek for the first mile or so while passing through an Aspen forest. It then connects to an old mining road where you might encounter mountain bikers. Once you achieve the Observation Deck, it's a nice downhill on the mining road with expansive views of Aspen and the Upper Roaring Fork Valley. This part of the hike will have more people but the road is wide enough to help make it not feel too crowded.

Our trails were actually the Midway Trail to the Hunter Valley Trail to Aspen but All Trails isn't giving me that option. We left a car at the trailhead and then drove back later to retrieve it. Trailhead to the pass was steep but the trail was in good condition and the going was smooth. A couple of small snowfields as we neared the pass. As advertised, the Midway Trail past the pass is little traveled, hence it basically doesn't exist in places. Thank goodness for the custom map that I created and downloaded in All Trails Pro (signed up just for this reason). Using All Trails, we were able to keep on track for this epic day hike. It was very marshy and buggy (bugs are unusual for our area but what can you do?) on the Midway to Hunter Creek segment. On a crowded 4th of July, we were able to accomplish our goal of escaping the crowds in town. We hiked for 8.5 hours before we saw anyone else. Epic day!

It might be better to go up to the Observatory Deck and then return the same way instead of following the loop. If you follow the loop, It is just a dirt road all the way down.

Pretty hike along the creek, some nice views of Aspen once you hit the service road. Difficulty is quite subjective, but most of the hike is dirt roads, not technical.

Amazing hike that is so close to town. We decided to hike to the observation deck and head back down the same way as it provided a bit more shade while hiking with the dog. Amazing views... highly recommend.

Perfect trail. Little bit of everything.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Great trail.. I recommend doing the first half to the top and return back the same way down.. We went all the way; down the smugglers road, but was more just a service road and nothing to special

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Great trail - loved the river access.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Gorgeous - boulders made it hard to keep pace in some sections - but spectacular