Learn more

Hunt Lake Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salida, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 7.0 mi Elevation gain 1,945 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Hunt Lake Trail is a short hike below the Continental Divide north of the summit of Monarch Pass and east of Salida, Colorado. The hiking trail passes beautiful Boss Lake Reservoir and offers great views as it makes its way up to Hunt Lake at 11,476 feet. The turnoff for the trail is directly across from the Monarch Lodge on Highway 50. The road to the trailhead requires a 4 wheel drive with high clearance. The trail to Hunt Lake starts on the left of the Boss Lake Trailhead sign. Fishing is limited to "catch and release" in order to allow for the recovery of the endangered Greenback Cutthroat trout. The lake is covered in heavy snow until late May or early June.

Parking at the 4x4 entrance or at the trail head. No facilities.

Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands 2840 Kachina Drive Pueblo, CO 81008 719-553-1400 Telephone for the Hearing Impaired 719-553-1404 Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.4:30 p.m. MT (Supervisor's Office Only)

West side of Poncha Springs on the way to Monarch on US 50. Pass the dilapidated Monarch lodge and turn North at the Snow mobile shop. You can park there or take a 4x4 vehicle the 1.2 miles to the trail head.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (64)
Photos (105)
Recordings (38)
Completed (107)
haiki tay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 11 2020
Hiking

We didn’t make it all the way stopped at the reservoir. Super steep and we are super out of shape. All the jeeps going by make you look in envy. But trudge on we did.

View haiki's Recording
Nate McMillen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
View Nate's Recording
Lisa Kelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

Awesome, beautiful trail with lots of waterfalls this time of year. Gorgeous views, mostly covered. Pass by Boss Lake to Hunt Lake, both magical. Limited parking but practically empty lake Sunday morning.

View Lisa's Recording
Angie Ruddell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 18 2020
HikingSnow

Did not make it to hunt on 5/17/2020. But leaving this review to share that you can definitely make it to the first lake. Given the level of snow to Boss, we opted not to go onto Hunt- we were post holing quite a bit but still made it. If you park at highway 50 you will hike up about 1.2 miles to the trailhead. That is quite a bit of the elevation gain listed. I drive a 4Runner but I am glad I didn’t attempt the road- super rocky and uneven. The road is super thin, and there aren’t many turnouts if you catch someone coming down. We did see a Jeep with higher clearance make it but a land cruiser nearly scraping the bottom. In a few weeks, I think the trail to boss and then onto hunt will be much clearer.

Stephanie Dybsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 17 2019
View Stephanie's Recording
Alli Berry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 10 2019
HikingBugs

This trail was stunning, and very quiet for a Saturday! The “road” from the highway to the official trailhead was 2 miles, not 1 like the sign said. We hiked it, so we ended up doing about 11 miles RT. There’s a decent climb to get to the reservoir, but it’s so worth it! Stunning views equivalent to RMNP but with no crowds. We went all the way to the end, and the lakes up top are beautiful too. Bring lots of bug spray. Especially if it has rained recently.

Kurt Golding
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 07 2019
HikingMuddySnow

Great trail to Boss & Hunt once past the two track with some serious early uphill. Boss Reservoir was calm and beautiful. However, area surrounding Hunt Lake was super saturated with melt water. Wasn't prepared to get too wet so didn't go real close. Ended up pouring on my way back so got soaked anyway. :)

shales dc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 28 2019
Snow

So much snow for the end of May! Was barely able to get all the way Boss Lake and couldn't continue on to Hunt Lake because of so much snow. Great views and probably a very well maintained trail during the summer season. The 1.6 miles from highway 50 up to the trailhead is a little difficult if you don't have 4x4. We have a wide truck so we just hiked the extra 1.6 miles.

Emily Roos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 26 2019
HikingSnow

We hiked from Hwy 50 to the trailhead. Then from the trailhead we attempted to get to Boss Lake, but because of the icy snow, it was too treacherous for us to continue.

Mary Gee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 23 2018

Attempted today. I'm forever recovering from breaking my leg. The 4wd road to the Boss Lake trailhead (there is no signage for Hunt Lake) was fine to just walk on. It was very lush. Lots of wild flowers and sounds of water. As others have said this road is uphill and very rocky.... so my foot was getting a workout. I made it to the trailhead GO LEFT. Right is road 230. I love those tree made bridges! I started on the true trail. Lush. Flowers. Water. Mosquitoes. So I turned around. I'll bring spray the next time, which will give my leg more healing time.

Chip Schlemmer
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 19 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

Trail closed to motor vehicles so no star would be better

Kelly McGeehan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 27 2018

Backpacker and stayed two nights. So secluded and quiet! Somewhat strenuous, but nothing too crazy. Can't wait to come back!

JOHN DOUGLAS
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 04 2018
Hiking

My wife and I, daughter and son-in-law and two grand kids 9 and 14 arrived at the gravel road off hwy 50 at about 2:30 pm. There is private property on the right as you enter so be sure to pull into the road past that and park along the side. There were two other cars there when we arrived. Another gravel road off to the right goes up to the trail head for Boss Lake Res. This is kind of a rough unmaintained road which most people go by foot - 1 mile up to trail head, we did too. We only hiked to Boss Lake. Our elevation gain from where we parked our car was close to 1,100 ft. The trail has some segments of steep climb. Weather was cloudy and in the 50"s quite windy at times. Nice hike, out and back was about 4hrs. June 3, 2018

Sam G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 22 2017
Hiking

Started hiking where we parked next to the snowmobile place up this dirt road that you definitely need high4x4 clearance to get up some of the first curves and rocky parts and we walked the road in the forest until you get to boss lake trailhead and then it’s not too far to boss lake from there. Crazy windy by boss lake and got pretty snowy going up higher to continue on towards hunt lake. Didn’t end up making it to hunt lake because of deep snow. Great views looking back to the valley and around boss lake.

Two Lanes Of Freedom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 26 2017
Hiking

Wonderful hike with the fall Aspens in bloom. The trail head is a bit further up the forest service road than the marker indicates. The lake was crystal clear and we were the only ones there.

Kurt Wipp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 17 2017

Nice out and back. Be prepared for changing weather.

call of
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 18 2017
Fishing

it was awesome. We climbed with our kids, 9 and 7, out of shape Xbox boys. The forest road leading to the trailhead is rough. We drove a Grand Cherokee 4x4 with suspension I can lift 11 inches and I had to put it in low 4x4 in many places. the road is not too steep but there are many big rocks you need to clear and two sharp switchback. overall 4x4 required but not too difficult if you have one. thr trail itself is great. well marked and cleared. steep climb at the beginning, then eases up before boss lake. boss lake is beautiful and it was well worth it. it is actually a dam... how did they build it I cannot imagine. very cool. bring a fishing rod, I saw many fish jumping in August. we continued the climb to Hunt lake l. easy at first and a bit harder later but not bad. We made it half way to the lake but turned around at 3pm out of concerns of having to drive down the road in the dark. it took us 3 hours to climb and 1.5 hours to desend with the kids. deduct 60 min if you are in good shape. we started the hike at noon. start earlier and you will make it.

Jacob Harper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Aug 03 2017
Hiking

Great short hike. Only made it to boss lake before turning back. Parked near snowmobile shop and hiked up trail to boss lake trailhead then to boss lake. Round trip was a little over 2 hours for an out of shape person like myself. Great views along the way! You can definitely drive up to boss lake trailhead and skip first chunk of hike if you have a 4x4 vehicle and are careful of medium sized rocks driving up there.

Emily Hall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 04 2017

Parked by the snowmobile shop and hiked 1 mile up a steep, rocky road to the Boss Lake trailhead. Hiked the trail to Boss Lake which was beautiful! Didn't make it all the way to Hunt Lake but overall an amazing hike. Only crossed paths with 2 other hikers on the trail and this was on 7/4/17.

jeff lebowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 02 2017
Hiking

After parking by the snowmobile shop, it's a steep strenuous half mile or so to the boss lake trailhead. Of the two trails visible from the parking area, you take the one on the right, uphill. When the Trail begins to split, stay to the left and cross the stream and the real fun begins! It's beautiful scenery. The Trail winds and you come to a small pond/lake. (I'm not sure if this is boss lake and hunt lake is the larger one above?.. no one has been able to clarify this.) You'll hear the water the whole last half of the hike. Hunt lake (I believe) is another half mile or so and it is breathtaking! Windy and cold but so worth it! We found a little shelter among the rocks and had a picnic

Kate B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Aug 23 2016
Hiking

Bridge at beginning of trail is " out". Actually one horizontal log and its rail remains. I thought of trying to use that, but knew my dog would try to follow me and might fall off the log the 4+ feet from the log to the creek. Walked back to car and got water shoes. Had I known the bridge was out I could have brought water shoes to start with. Just a thought if you are hiking with your dog or small child. Rest of hike was good. Thunder started at level of Hunt Lake just after noon.

Josh D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 07 2016
Hiking

Great hike. I parked at the snowmobile shop and hiked up to the trailhead. A couple fairly steep but short stretches on the initial stretch to Boss. Beautiful views of the valley from Boss Lake and watched some people fish for a bit. I kept going up to Hunt and nobody was up there. Very peaceful and the colors up there are remarkable. Dog had a nice cool down in the lake and we headed back. May try to camp it next time.

Shawna Heiken Martinez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 25 2016

Hiked with my daughter this afternoon. A great hike and beautiful views!

Shilo R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 12 2016
Hiking

This hike is similar to Waterdog Lakes in difficulty and beauty. Great hike! However, I had the luxury of skipping the first mile to the Boss Lake trailhead in a high clearance (lifted) SUV. I wouldn't take this road in a standard SUV or pickup...but you'll figure that out in the first 100 yards or so from the snowmobile shop when you bottom out. I'd recommend skipping the first mile if you are able. If not, just add 2.2 miles to the listed distance for this hike. Hunt Lake was more beautiful than Boss Lake. You can apparently drive all the way to Boss Lake using a different 4WD road not shown on AllTrails (we saw a few vehicles going fishing that had driven right up to the lake shore). After another mile up to Hunt Lake, the single track trail keeps going beyond (to Southwest) to the Continental Divide Trail that continues above Waterdog Lakes to Monarch. It looks like there is another alpine lake around 12,000ft., but I turned around just too soon to find it. Next time!

chelsea sharshel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 09 2016
Camping

It was very steep at times so might not be great for children, but 4x4-dog did great! Many drove up the trail to Boss Lake and some locals had their ATVs up there. We hiked the entire way from the snowmobile shop. It was rough at times but what a view! Barely saw anyone up at the lake. Had it to ourselves at night. Cold lake was great for dog. Nice breeze, lots of shade, relaxing sound of water, amazing starts at night.

Sara Simms
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 27 2016
Hiking

Absolutely perfect. Parked by the snow mobile store and walked in. Could have driven. The extra mile was easy, but up hill. The trail itself was fun. Technical at times, but so worth it once we arrived at Boss Lake. Trail to Hunts Lake was closed. Great hike overall.

Flores Andrew
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 11 2016

snows mostly down lakes are still frozenish up though totaly worth it

Tima Rdld
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 14 2016

still snow packed, but a great hike nevertheless

Frostcal Connolly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 28 2015

this climb was steep, but completely worth the effort. bring good boots and don't forget the water.