Hunt Lake Trail

Hunt Lake Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salida, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

off road driving

Hunt lake is located below the Continental Divide north of the summit of Monarch Pass. Boss Lake is also located in close proximity to Hunt lake. Both of these lakes are beautiful! This area is great for an overnight backpack trip and some relaxing time spent at a couple of high-elevation lakes. Fishing is limited to "catch and release" in order to allow for the recovery of the endangered Greenback Cutthroat trout. Flies and Lures only. Hunt Lake is covered in heavy snow until late May or early June.

Wonderful hike with the fall Aspens in bloom. The trail head is a bit further up the forest service road than the marker indicates. The lake was crystal clear and we were the only ones there.

Nice out and back. Be prepared for changing weather.

it was awesome. We climbed with our kids, 9 and 7, out of shape Xbox boys.
The forest road leading to the trailhead is rough. We drove a Grand Cherokee 4x4 with suspension I can lift 11 inches and I had to put it in low 4x4 in many places. the road is not too steep but there are many big rocks you need to clear and two sharp switchback. overall 4x4 required but not too difficult if you have one.

thr trail itself is great. well marked and cleared. steep climb at the beginning, then eases up before boss lake. boss lake is beautiful and it was well worth it. it is actually a dam... how did they build it I cannot imagine. very cool. bring a fishing rod, I saw many fish jumping in August.

we continued the climb to Hunt lake l. easy at first and a bit harder later but not bad. We made it half way to the lake but turned around at 3pm out of concerns of having to drive down the road in the dark.

it took us 3 hours to climb and 1.5 hours to desend with the kids. deduct 60 min if you are in good shape.

we started the hike at noon. start earlier and you will make it.

Great short hike. Only made it to boss lake before turning back. Parked near snowmobile shop and hiked up trail to boss lake trailhead then to boss lake. Round trip was a little over 2 hours for an out of shape person like myself. Great views along the way! You can definitely drive up to boss lake trailhead and skip first chunk of hike if you have a 4x4 vehicle and are careful of medium sized rocks driving up there.

Parked by the snowmobile shop and hiked 1 mile up a steep, rocky road to the Boss Lake trailhead. Hiked the trail to Boss Lake which was beautiful! Didn't make it all the way to Hunt Lake but overall an amazing hike. Only crossed paths with 2 other hikers on the trail and this was on 7/4/17.

After parking by the snowmobile shop, it's a steep strenuous half mile or so to the boss lake trailhead. Of the two trails visible from the parking area, you take the one on the right, uphill. When the Trail begins to split, stay to the left and cross the stream and the real fun begins!
It's beautiful scenery. The Trail winds and you come to a small pond/lake. (I'm not sure if this is boss lake and hunt lake is the larger one above?.. no one has been able to clarify this.)
You'll hear the water the whole last half of the hike. Hunt lake (I believe) is another half mile or so and it is breathtaking! Windy and cold but so worth it! We found a little shelter among the rocks and had a picnic

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Bridge at beginning of trail is " out". Actually one horizontal log and its rail remains. I thought of trying to use that, but knew my dog would try to follow me and might fall off the log the 4+ feet from the log to the creek. Walked back to car and got water shoes. Had I known the bridge was out I could have brought water shoes to start with. Just a thought if you are hiking with your dog or small child.
Rest of hike was good. Thunder started at level of Hunt Lake just after noon.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Great hike. I parked at the snowmobile shop and hiked up to the trailhead. A couple fairly steep but short stretches on the initial stretch to Boss. Beautiful views of the valley from Boss Lake and watched some people fish for a bit. I kept going up to Hunt and nobody was up there. Very peaceful and the colors up there are remarkable. Dog had a nice cool down in the lake and we headed back. May try to camp it next time.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Hiked with my daughter this afternoon. A great hike and beautiful views!