Hunkidori Mine

Hunkidori Mine is a 5.9 mile out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for cross country skiing and snowshoeing and is best used from November until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

To avoid any parking tickets or being towed I parked at Peru Creek trail head about a mile north of town this will add 2 miles to your day. Hike up St. John’s road was pretty basic and snow packed about a mile up after some searching you will find Hunkidori Mine trail ( no markings for this ). Trail had not been used much and snow was soft we really needed snow shoes, even though we accepted the challenge and went on after 3 miles we had not made it all the way and decided to turn around based on continued post holing. Even with snow shoes I would rate this as average hike not a lot to see unless you are into trees, trees, and more trees! Town of Montezuma is cute and drive out US 6 up loveland pass is always a must see! Hope this helps be safe ✌

Monday, February 13, 2017

Just a gorgeous trek. You will lose signal so be prepared

Monday, January 20, 2014

Parked just before the bridge on St John Rd. The wind was intense this day. Gust in excess of 60MPH. Snow drifts were knee deep to mid thigh. The trail was emtpy. I did not see another person the whole trek.

This trip was strenuous. Not for the faint of heart or those who are out of shape. The elevation gain, in snowshoes is considerable. Make sure you know where your trail markers are. I used my GPS to keep me and my dog on trail.