Humboldt Peak Trail

Humboldt Peak Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Westcliffe, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 4,222 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

This 14er has unbelievable views of alpine lakes and the neighboring Crestone Needles. This is a beautiful overnight of just over 10 miles with amazing views of the neighboring Crestone Needles which are some of the most difficult to climb. Make sure to bring a fishing pole as the South Colony Lakes are stocked with trout where you will be camping.

Trail is in great shape going up the standard west route. We started from the lower trailhead as we weren’t going to put our Mazda CX-5 through a road like what was being presented. It made for a very long and rewarding day. Saw some goats on our way down. Views of Crestone amazing.

Parked in the upper lot and completed the hike in 7 hours with a 45 pound pack. My Garmin registered 13.3 miles round trip, which included walking around the summit for a bit.

Stayed the night in Westcliff and started early. 4wd trail is rough. Definitely a 4-5 rating of difficulty. Can you make it in a Subaru or other low clearance vehicle? Probably. But you’ll definitely scrape along the way. In fact, I saw a Honda CRV make it up but I’m sure there was damage underneath. I have a 2.5 inch lifted Jeep Wrangler. No problems scraping but there were some tough areas. There were about 12-15 cars at 4:30 am on Saturday of Labor Day weekend parked at upper tail head. Only a couple of spots left. If you were going up any other time of year you most likely won’t have parking issues. There were some cars that were parked on the side of the road and tucked into campsites. Trail is class 1 until you reach South Colony Lakes. Then it gets steep. Saddle to the false summit is the worst. Steep bouldering. Once you reach false summit you’re home free. Just a short hike to the top. Overall beautiful day. Long hike if you don’t stay the night at the lakes. I had concerns about the four-wheel-drive road to trailhead. Any stock SUV or truck will make it no problems. Other cars might make it but definitely risking damage to undercarriage.

Beautiful trail. If you park at the 2WD parking lot it’s an extra 2.7 miles one way. I did the hike to Humboldt in one morning, didn’t see a single person until I made it to the South Colony lakes. One of the best hikes I’ve done in Colorado. It would be an awesome overnighter trip for the future.

Long, muddy, & rocky trail. The real fun & great views start once you get up to the basin. The last mile or so up the the peak is treacherous, but completely worth it! Amazing views all around.

+ Easy Class I all the way until the final ascent + Views of the Crestones from South Colony Lakes & Humboldt Peak are stunning. + Well constructed primitive campsites at the 4WD trailhead (I counted 6 plus a few others en route). No camping at the 2WD trailhead. - Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes! - Final ascent across the boulders is aggressive. There are cairns, but route finding is still challenging. - 4WD road is passable, but rough. I made it in a stock Tacoma, but still dented my skid plate. Don’t attempt in anything less. - South Colony Lakes are on a poop alert. Be prepared to bag it out - dogs & humans.

Great trail and view. Get an early start because storms are frequent. 4wd rd is washed out, but passable in a full-size 4wd. Saw I guy in an Acura crossover dragging his oil pan....

Absolutely beautiful trail. Definitely make sure you have enough clearance to get to the top lot. There was one place we weren’t sure if we would make it up and some areas were even harder to maneuver on the way down in the car! Other than the main road the trail itself is beautiful. It winds it way into this bowl of mountains through lush green forests, tons of wildflowers, and beautiful creeks all the way up. The boulder field was a little harder than I thought, mainly because we were trying to find good routes for our dogs. Definitely worth the hike to the top! Gorgeous views!

Hiking poles for the way down would have been nice! Hard on the knees and ankles, may want to use ankle braces if you have weak ankles and they get inflamed on uneven surfaces such as a boulder field.

Loved this hike! This was my 17th 14er and my favorite out of all of them. It’s definitely on the longer side and I was dead tired by the end even with being in good shape. But totally worth it! You start out hiking in a lush green forest and then pass by the South ColoNy lakes which are a beautiful teal color. During the ascent you’re surrounded by the neighboring peaks in the area and then at the top you can see Pikes Peak, the San Juans and parts of New Mexico. It’s incredible. We started at 5:30am because storms were in the forecast early afternoon... storms never hit so we took our time on the descent and were done by 2pm. The only drawback is the road to the trailhead. It’s the worst I’ve ever been on. Luckily my friend has a Jeep with extra high clearance so we took that up but I was still clinging on for dear life - almost as intense as the hike itself! PS didn’t need spikes or snowshoes but poles are recommended. Snow fields are minimal.

beautiful trail. few snow patches still, ended up being a perfect day to summit July 5th. first 14er out of the way, on to the next. did have a goat sneak up on us and got us to jump :)

Beautiful trail. Only a little snow left. Did not need spikes.

Did this on 6/22. Great view from the Top of this 14er. Still wet and a few areas with snow, suggest trekking poles. Don't get lost and download alltrails on phone with offline maps, who needs an old school GPS anymore, I only use my phone GPS. GPS device needed after south colony lake area as the trail gets lost in a few 100 ft long snow patches. My Verizon phone got 4g/3g up until the lakes then at the top of the mountain. Trail also hard to follow in the last .7 miles as its traversing a rock pile.

Beautiful! We attempted on June 15, 2019. A large portion of the trail is still covered by snow. Unless you have gps, I would suggest waiting a few weeks. There were only a few of us on the trail (20ish); the general theme was frustration with getting lost The crestones are gorgeous!!