Horsetooth Falls Loop Trail

Horsetooth Falls Loop Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Full-service, accessible restroom at the parking lot, plus a drinking fountain and pet waste bags.

Fun hike with kids! Provides a fun place to refresh in the cool waterfall pool.
Water was flowing nicely when we visited on 6/9/18

great, easy to climb trail. good for families or out of towners. the falls were coming down pretty well today which made it nice. went on a Thursday at 11am and the parking lot was nearly full but the trail wasn't overwhelmingly packed.

Easy trail to hike. Overrated and not as beautiful as I expected from others reviews.

Not just a trickle when we hiked this evening around 6! The weather was perfect, scenery was beautiful and an easy 1 hr there and back home (including some time at the falls).

This is a great family and dog friendly loop hike. There is a good amount of water flow this time of year (Early May) and tons of blossoms.

Good hike and good views... a little steep for kids after the falls.

Great! A very fun hike for a family. Dog-friendly, beautiful trail! The fall was an actual FULL WATERFALL!!! I would definitely recommend for anyone! :)

This was my very first “hike” and I loved it. I’m traveling for work and had some time before I had to be in the office. So many pretty views! And some good exercise.

Great hike when you have a couple of hours to kill. Well maintained. Moderate traffic. Very dog friendly. It was fun for my pup and I to get our feet wet once we got to the falls! Definitely go in the spring vs the summer to see the falls.

Did this trail but included an extra loop up spring creek to Herrington to stout and back to the falls. Which ended up being a great distance to go. The views of the reservoir, Fort Collins and the mountains were incredible. Some snow in certain parts, but not enough to warrant spikes. It was beautiful, not hard and worthwhile. I would love to go back and see the rock.

It was nice trail and a nice workout but the falls were not that big more like a sprinkle. The Horsetooth Rock was cool to look at tho

Hiked with my dog during golden hour, saw at least a dozen deer, found the trail well-maintained and challenging. Although the falls aren't much to look at this late in the summer, the scenery and workout are well worth the hike.

When I hiked to the falls in July, it was a mere trickle. My understanding is that it is more impressive in the earlier spring when snowmelt is greater. Very nice hike and pretty views along the way; we saw LOTS of deer. (:

Nice hike with great views. I will be back.

7-7-07 with Himot's. Mostly open or no trees, but there are areas to take breaks with kids/ dogs with shades and rocks to sit on. Depending on find of year you go-- be prepared the water fall could be very light flow.

This hike was difficult when we first moved here, but now that we're used to the elevation, it's not too bad!!

Good quick hike. Gorgeous scenery along the way. Waterfall is more of a trickle at the moment; too dry out.

Great Trail. Ended up only doing a point to point up to the Falls. 2.4 miles. Challenging elevation changes for a new 60 year old hiker. Will return to and do the loop which consists of clockwise trek on Horsetooth Rock, Soderberg, Spring Creek and Horsetooth Falls trails. (4 miles). That was suggested by a park ranger. Not quite sure where the 3 mile loop is described on this page. Immensely enjoyable hike though.

Beautiful trail. Some steeper parts but my 5 year old was able to do it fine. We got to see lots of rabbits, birds, and deer along the way.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Nice early hike. Started at 6am took us 2 hours 3.5 miles. Nice area, not a lot of shade.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Nice views along the whole hike. Went on a Wednesday morning and saw only a few people. Started at 8:30 and was glad to finish earlier in the day - there is limited shade and it's getting hot already! Parking is $6 unless you have a local parks pass.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

nice trail

Monday, March 27, 2017

Wife and I did this hike with our 2.5 year old and 9 month old on our backs. Very manageable. Temps in the mid to high 40s. Gloomy day but not too chilly. Only used about a half and Oz of water each. Fall was down to a trickle.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

This trail is very up and down so there is elevation gain on the way there and back. Great beginner hike.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The falls are tiny, but the hike itself is pleasant. Did this when the trail was pretty icy in December and definitely could have use some of those yaktrax, but in a less icy time of year it would be quite an easy/pleasant hike out and back!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

This is a great trail except for all of the dog poop along the trail.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I hiked this trail several years ago in summer and enjoyed the dry heat of Colorado opposed to the humidity in New England. The hike offered lovely views, a manageable terrain and a cool waterfall. We were with friends and young kids so this is a definitely a family-friendly trek.